Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Couple wrecks trailer 20 minutes after buying it

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Link

Curious what the forum's opinion is on who should be liable. Seems to me like the dealer has some responsibility.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,
61 REPLIES 61

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could have been as simple as driver did not know to put on trailer brakes and not tow vehicle brakes. I always test my brakes as I am pulling out of driveway for peace of mind. It is not instinctive to manually apply trailer brakes, it is normal to try and brake tow vehicle which can make it worse.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Can't tell you how many of these I see pulling into CG's over the past 10 years!
Certainly not a scientific test of percentage on the road, but I full time and I see one in EVERY CG I have stayed at.

Sad cause you know the salesman said the deadly saying....
"sure your car can tow that RV"...sign here. ๐Ÿ˜ž

How they can't feel the front tire roll while 'trying' to drive, is beyond me.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I followed a guy towing a 33ft (approx) with a F250 with no WD or sway control. bed loaded with bikes and a grill. The back end was really low and the front was up. any dip he went over had the truck rocking like a ship in the sea! I cant imagine how the ride was and it definitely couldn't have been safe. But he had a 3/4 ton so he probably thought he was OK.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
On I75 headed north, from the intersection toward Orlando, we have seen numerous wrecks involving new trailers and many times new pickups or suvs.
I have no idea if they had sway control.
But the old theme sure your truck or rv can handle that comes to mind. A light weight single rear tire pick up or suv and a heavier trailer is a disaster waiting to happen. Just like the lengthy trailer loaded,with watermelons entering the interstate and semi flying by at the same time. The trailer turned that pickup every which but loose and ended up in front and tore every thing up.
If you are going to tow a trailer, regardless of speed the tow vehicle needs to have more weight over therear wheels and with sway control. I have no idea about the peculiar construction show of the trailer. I don't believe it is factory though.
Don't recall new Fifth wheels lying in the median and side of the Interstate. That popular RV Dealer, I wonder if they have a sign over their door, Oh sure your 1/2 ton truck or light suv can handle it?

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
With what I have seen on the roads I am surprised we don't see this more often then we do.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
RollandB wrote:
Driver was cited for driving too fast. Right there is a hurdle to jump over on the liability question.
Has there been an update to the original link? Because: "Hodgson originally said the driver will be cited for driving too fast, but later said she wouldn't be cited after all."

So I was wondering if there was an update that changed that.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Driver was cited for driving too fast. Right there is a hurdle to jump over on the liability question.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
In closing, as to the actual cause, I'd guess Chinese ST tires.......Blowout........Or possibly contaminated brakes from using EZ lube.

The picture seems to show 4 round tires without noticeable pieces missing. The story clearly related the drivers comment that it was a progressively worse sway that finally resulted in the trailer rolling over.

If it was contaminated brakes you would hope that at least setting up the brake controller would reveal a lack of brakes.

Jax....that's called humor. Since no one had posted it on a serious note I figured I would save someone the time lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
There is a fine line between "SOLD AS IS" and knowing elling a unit that has been compromised! and yes despite what the paper work says the dealer does hold some responsibility! I`ve worked at a few dealers in my life. a dealer will get rid of a car that has frame damage. they wont sell one despite the "SOLD AS IS" on the paper work.

Some dealers may operate as you claim, most don't. If a dealer takes in a trade and does not want to put it on the used lot for whatever reason, say it's Big Ben's MegaFord, the largest Ford dealer North of Southwest Eastgate, he sends it off to the auction. Then its snatched up by Billy Bob Jim's Gently Used Motors, and put on his lot. It still gets unloaded on the vehicle buying public no matter if it had frame damage, flood damage, almost anything.

In my experience a lot of RV dealers are a few rungs down the honesty ladder from auto dealers. I can take you to any used lot at any RV dealer and show you units with massive delam, worn out old tires, brakes and running gear that the service history is unknown etc, and they'll sell them in a second AS-IS. Then the buyer hooks up and heads on down the happy happy highway.

Dealers are not worried about recourse for anything by purchasers, that have insurance for such things.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
What is the estimated weight of the trailer?

Just curious as my 2014 3.6L Grand Cherokee is rated at 6,200 lb towing.

Doesn't matter, as you're dealing with some of the "you need a Dooley to tow a popup" crowd.
It obviously was too much for those people in that vehicle under that set of circumstances.....as evidenced by the yard sale.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
It's sad but the folks should have done more due diligence before buying.
An experienced RV'er would have checked it out thorougher. Should realize the Prime Mover is too light for towing that trailer.
The Guy on the lot will tell you anything to make a sale generally.
BTW, If any trailer I'm towing starts swaying, I simultaneously
accelerate just slightly while applying serious braking power to the trailer. Solver my sway problems always.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the estimated weight of the trailer?

Just curious as my 2014 3.6L Grand Cherokee is rated at 6,200 lb towing.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Not that it matters, but I believe the trailer is a Nomad, not a Mallard.
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
2, How many of you have crawled under neath each and every RV you have bought?
INCLUDING your first 'newbie' purchase. :C

Me...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS