cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman Triton stove sucks! Replacement?

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
About 15 years ago I bought a Coleman 2 burner high output camp stove and loved it. Super BTUs and excellent controls from simmer to blast. It developed a leak so I tossed it and bought a new one 2 years ago. Terrible temperature control and it is inconsistent. Sometime I get lots of heat and other times I can't fry fish. I see online reviews also complaining of the poor control but no mention of inconsistency. Anyway, it is going to the landfill.

I would be happy with a good single burner unit with high BTUs and adjustable to simmer when needed. I never have more than one item going. Usually just things DW doesn't want cooked inside. Thanks, bill
14 REPLIES 14

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new 2 mantle white gas lantern.$1. gotta love divorces.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
OkieGene wrote:
^^^^^^ I've purchased new leather cups on ebay. Prices used to be a couple of bucks apiece but now people that have them to sell are asking a kings ransom. You might as well check it out anyway.
I still have a brand new one from my WW2 lantern, I guess I will treat it like gold. The one I did replace years ago is still working well just and a few drops of 3 in 1 oil every couple of years.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^ I've purchased new leather cups on ebay. Prices used to be a couple of bucks apiece but now people that have them to sell are asking a kings ransom. You might as well check it out anyway.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the first things I do during my initial cleanup of stoves that I get is to pull the pumps apart, clean them and rub Neatsfoot oil into the leather. I bought a can of the oil about 40 years ago and I don't think I will ever finish off the can. The replacement pump kits come with a synthetic pump seal and I don't think they will last as long.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarabooBob wrote:
I have purchased about a dozen white gas Coleman stoves at garage sales. I clean them up and give them to friends. I am down to about 3 two burner stoves so I will have to pick up some more before giving more away.
The lod school stoves and lanterns are also good for having people stop by our campsite to talk.
I personally don't like the propane stoves for the reasons listed above.
Someone had given me a gas lantern from WW2 years ago that was still in the box that I used for years and the parts are interchangeable with the newer lantern I got in 1971. The pump seal was made from leather instead of rubber, when you oiled it it would swell and create a good seal to pump up the lantern.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3 burner coleman gas stove I purchased new in 1977, so that's 44 years, and it's still working fine.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have purchased about a dozen white gas Coleman stoves at garage sales. I clean them up and give them to friends. I am down to about 3 two burner stoves so I will have to pick up some more before giving more away.
The lod school stoves and lanterns are also good for having people stop by our campsite to talk.
I personally don't like the propane stoves for the reasons listed above.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I still have my original "white gas stove" from 50 years ago. I now have collected an additional 3 stoves over the years . Some are duel fuel. Changed and swapped out a lot of parts over the years. Two are working and two are for replacement parts. Generators have to be cleaned and sometimes repacked but they are pretty easy to work on.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have for years used a single burner propane item that mounts directly on top a 1 lb propane bottle with adjustable flame/heat out put including simmer. Just screw into threads of the bottle and one bottle last a long time for one person. Has a plastic base you place on bottom of bottle to stand upright and steady.

It heats up very fast and will handle a very small skillet or pot and large empty vegetable can that I use for soup sometimes. Great for my short term fishing and camping trips. Cheap and easy to find in stores and on Amazon or Ebay.

I do not remember brand of my unit as it is in store room.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, more BTU's packed in liquid over the propane counterparts.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
Ditto to comments about the olde tyme white gas Coleman stoves.

My 30 year old one works like a champ. I bought a propane adapter for it, but it produces less heat than the fuel counterpart so i never really use it, but have it just in case.
My brother has a white gas version stove that he bought in the late 60's and it works as it did on day one. It looks well worn from use but performs like new.
Same holds true for the Coleman lanterns. Only thing needed on those is replacement mantles ever couple of years.

Don't know about the quality of the current Coleman white gas stoves, but if they are available then my opinion is to go with tried-and-true stuff with a track record.

On Edit:
I see they still make WHITE GAS STOVES, but I see they are SIGNIFICANTLY higher in price!!:E

I think I paid about $30 for mine back in the day.

And the white gas coleman lanterns are brighter than the propane, and even brighter if you can find the old mantels that used thorium. The white gas stoves also have a higher max heat output than the propane stoves.

I was able to find pyrex fully frosted "lense" for our coleman white gas lanterns. Bright but the cuts down the glare etc. And also have a red pyrex lense as well.

A gallon of white gas take up about the same space as two disposable propane tanks will last way way way longer!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ditto to comments about the olde tyme white gas Coleman stoves.

My 30 year old one works like a champ. I bought a propane adapter for it, but it produces less heat than the fuel counterpart so i never really use it, but have it just in case.
My brother has a white gas version stove that he bought in the late 60's and it works as it did on day one. It looks well worn from use but performs like new.
Same holds true for the Coleman lanterns. Only thing needed on those is replacement mantles ever couple of years.

Don't know about the quality of the current Coleman white gas stoves, but if they are available then my opinion is to go with tried-and-true stuff with a track record.

On Edit:
I see they still make WHITE GAS STOVES, but I see they are SIGNIFICANTLY higher in price!!:E

I think I paid about $30 for mine back in the day.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
yeah a couple of yrs ago my 30 year old coleman white fuel stove died, so I replaced it with a Coleman Triton figuring for less overall maintenance. Turned out to be a big mistake as I had the same control issue. Went back to the coleman 2 burner white fuel stove.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
time to go "garage sale ing" and pick up an older coleman camp stove, IMHO the best coleman stoves or Lanterns are the older white gas units. Yes, little more work to use than propane but much better overall. Or check out ebay, they often have older stoves listed.

As an alternative depending on how small a stove you need are some sold by REI. They also are high quality.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!