cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning trailer electric cord contacts

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Member RoyF posted the following in the 5th wheel forum and I though a lot of you might like it also. I asked and received his permission to post it again here.
My italics and red print.

I finally found the little wire brush that is small enough to get between and clean each of seven sections of a trailer's seven-pin connector, so I pass this discovery along in case I am not the only one who did not know how to find them.

It's called a air-gun brush, or a paint-sprayer brush. I found some at Harbor Freight, but in the paint-sprayer department. (Thanks to Harbor Freight for directing me to the right department.) Amazon has them, too.

A little later I posted a link to where the brushes could be purchased.
Is this the one?
Air brush cleaning tools
Barney

He responded:

Thanks, BarneyS, you have it.

I had been getting "trailer disconnected" and "turn signal not working" messages off and on for some time, and my trailer brake and turn lights finally stopped working. I was afraid that the problem might be hard to trace, but just cleaning the trailer's 7-pin contacts solved the problem.

The OP

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine
9 REPLIES 9

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
deoxit for cleaning is great.

I also use dielectric grease, which should prevent any oxidation, but has the bonus of preventing arcing.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bobbo wrote:
As I was hooking up to leave (on 7/4) for a 6 week trip into Canada, I got the "left turn signal failure" message. I sprayed carburetor cleaner into each of the 7-pin's sockets and scraped it with a small screwdriver. I followed that with WD-40 and the screwdriver. Fixed the problem so far (10 days later). Carburetor cleaner and WD-40 were what I had on hand and I was getting ready to pull out.

The WD-40 will accumulate over time. DAMHIK

I'd use de oxit D 100.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went on a 6 week RV caravan touring the Canadian Maritime provinces, leaving home on July 4th. The morning we were pulling out of the driveway to start the trip, the truck said the trailer's left turn signal was not working. It wasn't. I have a tester that said the truck was supplying current, so I turned my attention to the trailer's 7 pin connector. I filled each contact with carburetor cleaner and used a VERY small flat blade screwdriver to work it into the contacts. I shook that out and filled each contact with WD-40. Did the same trick with the screw driver. I shook it out and plugged it back in. Eight weeks later, and I haven't have a recurrence.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Just be careful with the tiny brushes, if any of the metal bristles break off and lodge between the contacts, you might wonder why fuses are blowing.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to Roy and Barney for this post -- I found it in the archives, and it was very helpful!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I was hooking up to leave (on 7/4) for a 6 week trip into Canada, I got the "left turn signal failure" message. I sprayed carburetor cleaner into each of the 7-pin's sockets and scraped it with a small screwdriver. I followed that with WD-40 and the screwdriver. Fixed the problem so far (10 days later). Carburetor cleaner and WD-40 were what I had on hand and I was getting ready to pull out.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Mechanical cleaning is sometimes needed, but there are electrical contact cleaners in a spray that work great. One brand available through electrical supply and pro audio stores is De-Oxit brand, works great on analog mixers, and the amount of electrical flow is critical there.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. RoyF is fortunate that cleaning his 7-pin connector worked. We got the "trainer disconnected" message and it was the actual trailer brake wires.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the brushes yesterday and will try them out. TY
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad