cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chipmunks

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get rid of chipmunk in your motor home. I have found one nest already. Got rid of it but still have them inside . HELP
47 REPLIES 47

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
K Charles wrote:
Squirrels will get rid of chipmunks, get a squirrel.

Then get a woodchucks to take care of the squirrels?

One year I took out 20+ squirrel's with a pellet gun. They had backups ready to go. As soon as I took one out a backup showed up.

I have a Red Shoulder Hawk couple that lives on the property and I am sure they help, but my numbers stay rather steady.

One of out our cats decapitated one one and used the head as a ball. Just depends on his mood at the time though, not reliable.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:

Nor where I live.
We have two bird feeders hanging off our front porch and day after day I have watched chipmonks and squirrles feeding together on the gleanings on the ground that the birds kick out.

Guy

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
The water bucket, ramp and sunflower seeds method works fantastic. A few years ago our yard was over run with chipmunks, we live in the woods. In 2 months time it took care of 70 of them

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
Have to do what you have to do to protect your RV but I like Chipmunks.
Sit down mid day miles form any roads deer hunting nod off for a while. Snoring mus annoy them. They and red squirrels and grays too would trow nuts and anything else down on me. Yep Chipmunks can climb apparently. They would run up my legs while sitting there. Fed them bits of my sandwiches or oatmeal cookies. The deer liked them too. Saw lot of deer but it got to where it was more vising them than hunting them. Last time was now many years a go on Little Mountain a part of Carer Mountain.
Cousin has them in her flower boxes and beds and they are on her porch all the time. Get older I suppose you tolerate the animals they tolerate you. They know an easy touch with a sandwich or cookie when them,Gets out of hand when the humming birds want to drink from your cup too. One way to lose weight, share with them, I suppose.

Cool Story

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer
A chipmunk isn't anything other thsn a well dressed rat and very destructive. I tolerate a few of them but they can get out of hand quick.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liking chipmunks is not an option when they are destroying your flowerbeds and Momma is, ummm, displeased. If I only saw them, or evidence of them, when I was out in the woods, I would like them too. They are very destructive little things around the house and yard.

By the same token, my wife often says she would happily shoot Bambi if we didn't live 7 doors down from the mayor. She is talking about getting me a crossbow.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Have to do what you have to do to protect your RV but I like Chipmunks.
Sit down mid day miles form any roads deer hunting nod off for a while. Snoring mus annoy them. They and red squirrels and grays too would trow nuts and anything else down on me. Yep Chipmunks can climb apparently. They would run up my legs while sitting there. Fed them bits of my sandwiches or oatmeal cookies. The deer liked them too. Saw lot of deer but it got to where it was more vising them than hunting them. Last time was now many years a go on Little Mountain a part of Carer Mountain.
Cousin has them in her flower boxes and beds and they are on her porch all the time. Get older I suppose you tolerate the animals they tolerate you. They know an easy touch with a sandwich or cookie when them,Gets out of hand when the humming birds want to drink from your cup too. One way to lose weight, share with them, I suppose.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two Havahart chipmunk traps out for about 3 weeks now, using every bait that Havahart lists. So far, no luck. I put out the Bucket "O" Death yesterday. Today, I have a dead chipmunk. Thank you.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I'm not sure what you call a Chipmunk in other parts of the country. Around here they never cause a problem. And, they are quite small. So my guess would be the same one as with the mice.

Go get a hungry cat.

My cat loves chipmunks.
Had three this week. When he is done only the head, tail, and gut sack is left.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
pcaffrey wrote:
Try the bucket "O" death. Five gallon bucket filled half way with water, cover water with a couple handful's of sunflower seeds. Give them a little ramp to go up, usually a trail of seeds. They dive in for the seeds not seeing the water and drown. This really works. I have caught many with this method.

Tried this - worked very well - within 15 minutes had 2 chipmunks.I sure felt bad about having to do this, but all their tunnels were undermining our interlock walkway causing the bricks to sink in various spots. It is a lot of work lifting bricks in those areas, adding crushed limestone, getting the bricks back in, levelling, tamping, adding polymer sand - you get it. We have had to do this 2X this year already and it is still only May.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't fool around, Get the A18 see video below

Bye bye
Puma 30RKSS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure what you call a Chipmunk in other parts of the country. Around here they never cause a problem. And, they are quite small. So my guess would be the same one as with the mice.

Go get a hungry cat.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
K Charles wrote:

Then get a woodchucks to take care of the squirrels?

I took out 22 squirrels with a pellet gun one year. For each one I took out they had 2-3 replacements ready to come in.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Stevebx
Explorer
Explorer
I have to ask, are you certain it is a chipmunk and not a red squirrel? Chipmunks burrow in the ground for their homes, never have had one try to get in my house or camper and I have plenty around. Red squirrels are notorious for getting into homes, neighbor had one in theirs. I had mice in the trailer for the first time last summer. Just ordered a new electronic repeller that has the sound plus strobe light to scare them. Reviews were good from people that tried everything else for mice or rats under the hood of their cars. Older ones never did much good.
Steven Brewer

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer
Try the bucket "O" death. Five gallon bucket filled half way with water, cover water with a couple handful's of sunflower seeds. Give them a little ramp to go up, usually a trail of seeds. They dive in for the seeds not seeing the water and drown. This really works. I have caught many with this method.