cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check In / Check Out Times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Ontario in the provincial park system check out time from a campsite has been 2 pm for as long as I can remember. Obviously if someone else is on the site we're checking in to the current occupants have the right to not vacate the site until that time, 'though in most cases folks do seem to not drag their departure out to the last second so if we arrive early and the site is empty we're free to start setting up. If it is still occupied because we've arrived early then we'll wander off to the beach or elsewhere until 2 pm. Seems fair enough and most seem to be happy with this policy :B

Today I started the reservation process for a campsite in a nearby conservation area where the campsite departure time has always been 1 pm, a bit earlier than I'd prefer but acceptable. As I worked my way through the new reservation system they're now using I was shocked to read that their check out time is now 9 am and the check in time for the next occupant is 10 am! Say what?!! Do they seriously expect people to pack up and get off a site by 9 in the morning, especially if it's a family with a gaggle of kids and all the additional "stuff" any family tends to drag along with them on a camping trip?!! Seriously? All this and they've simultaneously raised the campsite fee so it's now over $53 Cdn per night and raised the reservation fee to a whopping $15. :E

Needless to say I used their contact email addy to express my disgust but likewise needless to say I expect no response justifying such ridiculous changes in their camping policies. I've got one reservation for this place that I made back in the winter that we'll keep because we're camping with my nephew and his family but after that I doubt we'll ever go back there again. :M

Time to get our NEXUS cards so we can quickly slip across the border for more camping in the US! :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380
95 REPLIES 95

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
Lantley wrote:
WNJJ I see your point on what about the other guy? I have no control or concern for the schedule of others, as long as I am playing by the rules that are given.
While the next camper may not check in when they wanted the CG gets full revenue for a vacant site which may help offset a loss somewhere else.
The next camper is really not inconvenienced because they have no idea that I have left or am still there as far as they are concerned the site is occupied.
The reservation system has the site as occupied.The loss that occurs is strictly my own.

That's a selfish way of thinking.

I think Lantley's second sentence comes across as "selfish" at first glance until you read the entire statement.

It's not about a lack of concern/caring for the other guy, it's about working within the rules to make it work for you.

In asking whether it's more inconvenient to have later checkout times versus the person booking an extra night at the end, I'd argue the later checkout would be more inconvenient.

Many parks have a rule against not showing up the first night. So if the checkout is later, but half the people would like an earlier arrival, they have no option to get that. They can't reserve the site for Wednesday night and arrive Thursday at 1 pm because they've forfeited their entire stay at many parks by not arriving on Wednesday as scheduled. If they arrive early hoping to ask the camp host if they can setup early, they may be told no and they are sitting in a day use parking lot in limbo waiting for check in time.

In contrast, with the earlier checkout time, the half of the people who want later can reserve the extra night at the end but leave late the day before with no impact on the rest of their stay. They can ask the camphost if they can stay late and if the answer is no, they can just get home earlier and go about their lives. More ability to work within the system and less inconvenience by trying.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
The last 7 or so posts are really valuable to the issue. Arguments worthy of debate. I found value in every one that maintains civility.

Understanding of the camps policy, location,season is the critical issue whether a late check out can by arranged, reserved if necessary, gifted forward to another.

We use the gifted forward policy, when a site is vacated early for whatever reason and we are notified it will be, , the guest who uses the unused portion is granted that night.
It happens.

We cannot give a refund for unused nights as there is no guarantee of reoccupation

I like that you offer the guest that night free if someone else paid the extra night for a late checkout - it's nice to hear that some places don't put the double dipping ahead of customer satisfaction.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
2gypsies wrote:
Lantley wrote:
WNJJ I see your point on what about the other guy? I have no control or concern for the schedule of others, as long as I am playing by the rules that are given.
While the next camper may not check in when they wanted the CG gets full revenue for a vacant site which may help offset a loss somewhere else.
The next camper is really not inconvenienced because they have no idea that I have left or am still there as far as they are concerned the site is occupied.
The reservation system has the site as occupied.The loss that occurs is strictly my own.

If I were wasting a week I may agree. But we are talking one night I may leave at 4-6 PM that evening vs. 11:AM.
THat is simply my prerogative and well within the rules. There is no requirement that I spend the night. The loss is mine. THere is no next guy impacted, because the next guy has no idea that there will be a late day vacancy.
Should I feel bad if I leave my RV at the CG But I am gone the entire day only to return late and sleep. Should I ponder that someone could had made better use of my site and the CG facilities vs. me being gone the entire day. I may leave at 6:00 am and return at 2:00 AM. Is that selfish as well. Check out time is not a must stay until time.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
The last 7 or so posts are really valuable to the issue. Arguments worthy of debate. I found value in every one that maintains civility.

Understanding of the camps policy, location,season is the critical issue whether a late check out can by arranged, reserved if necessary, gifted forward to another.

We use the gifted forward policy, when a site is vacated early for whatever reason and we are notified it will be, , the guest who uses the unused portion is granted that night.
It happens.

We cannot give a refund for unused nights as there is no guarantee of reoccupation

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think some of that depends on the campground location. If it's a campground that gets folks driving by looking for a place to stay the night, then booking an extra night and letting the host know you've vacated early means a drive up might get a site that otherwise wouldn't be available.

However, if the campground doesn't see that "drive by" visitation, then the site will remain empty when it could have been reserved and used that night.

In contrast, with the latter type, if a reservation hasn't been made directly after yours, then it usually isn't a problem if you ask the host if it's OK to leave late.

And what day you leave, and the season, will have a big bearing either way. If you stay during the week and want to leave late on a Thursday or Friday, you are likely out of luck. If you are leaving on a Sunday or Monday, then you'll have far better odds. And off season will give you more versatility than summer.

If none of that works, then you want to boondock so you can leave whenever you want.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
winnietrey wrote:
It has been once ,in a blue moon, that we have paid, for an extra night, knowing we were going to leave early. I have always informed the Ranger, Camp host, motel manager of our intentions. So they may re-rent if they can, and more importantly by far, someone else maybe able to use the site, room etc

Thatโ€™s admirable. The one time we were required to book 2 weekend nights in a primitive but busy campground when we only needed one, we did the same. We told the host it was free to whomever wanted it.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:

Camping for us is about the destination and a full spot often means nowhere else to go. There little to no new state and federal campgrounds being built and there arenโ€™t many backup options. My point is about letting the most people enjoy the few resources. I agree that the first come person is well within their rights to book as many nights as they desire, however booking a night I donโ€™t intend to stay isnโ€™t something Iโ€™d do. With public resources it isnโ€™t just about the park getting paid. Iโ€™m guessing private parks would love people who pay and donโ€™t stay the night. Iโ€™m more of a take (buy) what you need, use what you take kind of guy. Buying the next night instead of wanting later checkout times doesnโ€™t seem to be any more considerate of the next guy, in my opinion. He may not know the difference as to why but it still means he couldnโ€™t arrive that day or move into the spot he wanted until โ€œofficialโ€ check in time the next day.

Iโ€™m not trying to change anyoneโ€™s mind here, just sharing a different perspective having been on the short end of the โ€œoccupied but not usedโ€ stick.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
It has been once ,in a blue moon, that we have paid, for an extra night, knowing we were going to leave early. I have always informed the Ranger, Camp host, motel manager of our intentions. So they may re-rent if they can, and more importantly by far, someone else maybe able to use the site, room etc

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Correct Trax,Splendide

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
winnietrey wrote:
I confess, I probably don't get it. But be it, a CG, hotel, or whatever. If you do not like the check out time, BUY ANOTHER NIGHT. Then you can leave when you see fit. How hard is that?

We have done this more than once, and always felt is was money well spent

But to just think of yourself, not the next party that wants your room or CG site, or the people that have to clean the room or site, in my opinion is a very self centered point of view.

And on the other hand " we could not possibly afford to pay for another night" as some would say. Then in my opinion it is, what it is. Don't *****, Buy your own campsite, then you can stay as long as you want

People are so darn cheap sometime, it leaves me scratching my head.

For what a CG costs per night, miles of beaches, trails and on and on, what a deal, almost free in my opinion

My point from earlier, that perhaps I didnโ€™t articulate well enough is that in parks that are full all summer, buying that extra night to stay a few hours later is keeping someone else from staying the night. Your spot sits empty when another camper would maybe gladly have pulled in after dark. Once reserved, itโ€™s off the list. Itโ€™s not just about cost, it is about thinking of the guy after you as you suggest. In the end itโ€™s first come first serve and I get that but that doesnโ€™t preclude consideration for limited spaces.

As for what works for most people, Iโ€™d be willing to bet a fair sum of money there are many more folks leaving on Sunday than arriving so meeting the greater good would likely translate to later times (for parks that are mostly weekenders.)

Most of the state or federal campgrounds out this way are at least 1pm, from my experience. Thatโ€™s works out nice for grabbing sandwiches for lunch before pulling out.

After all the drama in this thread, not once has any checkout time (violated or not) been an issue for us.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I have asked and been granted a late check-out at a few parks. This of course is based on if they are going to be full. It doesn't hurt to ask if you need an hour or two extra, just ask. If they can't do it then pack up and go.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:

Lantley, the 15 minutes was my time. I understand that others may require more than that. But the discussion has been that an 11 am (or even 1 pm) checkout time cannot be met. As you indicate, you have no issue getting out by 11 am - even with a longer pack up time.

So why CAN'T people get out by 11 am (or 1 pm) as some have argued? Other than a desire to stay longer, there seems to be no actual inability to meet the check out time. The arguments that have suggested an inability have been shown to be false - such as tent campers requiring more time.

So, it appears that the check out times do work fine. Just some people would prefer a different one. And once you get into preferences versus needs, you will never please everyone. For every person who wants a 3 pm check out, there is a person who wants an 11 am checkin. Whose preference takes precedent?

I agree 11:00 is doable and a decent compromise. You are correct in the end you simply can't please everyone.
If you need longer or want to depart at your leisure pay for the extra day.
AS others have mentioned, I don't mind paying for an extra day.
Correct Trax,Splendide

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I confess, I probably don't get it. But be it, a CG, hotel, or whatever. If you do not like the check out time, BUY ANOTHER NIGHT. Then you can leave when you see fit. How hard is that?

We have done this more than once, and always felt is was money well spent

But to just think of yourself, not the next party that wants your room or CG site, or the people that have to clean the room or site, in my opinion is a very self centered point of view.

And on the other hand " we could not possibly afford to pay for another night" as some would say. Then in my opinion it is, what it is. Don't *****, Buy your own campsite, then you can stay as long as you want

People are so darn cheap sometime, it leaves me scratching my head.

For what a CG costs per night, miles of beaches, trails and on and on, what a deal, almost free in my opinion