cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caulking removers - caution

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because I was recently changing out yellowed fixtures on the outside of my TT I had to remove a bit caulking. I tried two types of remover - Lift Off and 3M. I can't say I was overly impressed with either and I wanted to pass along a caution. The instructions say to apply and let it soak in.

After scrapping as much off as I could with a couple of sharp plastic putty knives, I put the Lift Off and let it soak for about 20 minutes as per the instructions. When I went to work on the remaining caulking with a rag on the remover, it also took off some of the paint. Luckily the new caulking will cover it.

I then tried the 3M remover but let it set for about five minutes. When I rubbed on it, it also took off the paint.

I really don't know if either of these helped to remove the caulking, but if you use them, watch out for the paint when rubbing on it. I have a Nash 2006 26X trailer with metal siding. I don't know what the caulking remover will do on a fiberglass.

Picture

I CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE PICTURE URL TO POST CORRECTLY.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
13 REPLIES 13

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
I've used acetate in the past to help remove old chalking. It works but it too, is slow. after that, i use Sikaflex for all my chalking. It is also an adhesive and can be painted over. Found in Marine stores.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DreamComeTrue wrote:
myredracer: What did you finally do to remove the ProFlex or did you just put new Proflex over the old as you mentioned? How is it holding up? I live half a mile from the Pacific and we get wid storms here. They do a job on caulking, but I have had good luck with Proflex. In the past I have tooled it off (often it comes off in a long strip) and then wiped it down with acetone before I reapply.

We're a few miles from the ocean but on an acreage with no trees. We get rain almost non-stop for about 6 months starting in Oct. plus we get winds from the southeast almost daily. We use a cover over the winter which helps to keep wind-driven rain away.

I expected the naphtha solvent (white gas) to soften the old Proflex like butter but it didn't. I used a plastic scraper with a hard blade in it (can get a soft, medium or hard removeable blade for it). The old Proflex is rather hard/stiff stuff and I broke a couple of blades at first. I put tape over the fiberglass exterior to keep the gas away from the decals and fiberglass. Then alternated between applications of the solvent and scraping. It helps to do it in the sun on a warm day. Some have used a heat gun, but I'd be worried about damaging something. According to our local RV repair shop who uses white gas, you need to leave it on long enough to soften the caulk but I found that didn't help that much. Lots of elbow grease needed...

Geocel Proflex isn't like silicone because you can put more Proflex over existing Proflex. The old caulk on our TT was opaque looking while the new is fairly clear even after putting it on last year. Isn't that noticeable though unless you go looking for it. The old caulk had shrunk in a few spots so that's where I put new over it. It looks like some use acetone to clean the area before re-caulking to clean the surfaces and remove any remaining residue.

The vinyl decals they use are very thin and could be damaged if not careful. Some decals go underneath corner trim, vents, etc. so there is caulk over the decals. Best to leave the old on if you can and re-caulk over it I think.

The worst area that needed re-caulking was around the fenders because they flex a lot and the caulking had completely separated. Slow process to remove the old and put on the new caulk due to length of the seam. Re-caulking over the old wouldn't have worked that well for that area.

The re-caulking I did almost a year ago looks good. I want to do a pressure test one of these days to make sure I haven't overlooked any potential leakage spots.

For those that mentioned "silicone", that's not what they use on RVs at the factories and shouldn't be used.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I found that "Awesome Cleaner" removes silicon caulking if you apply it directly and rub, whereas a cursor wipe doesn't hurt it while cleaning the fiberglass.

DreamComeTrue
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer: What did you finally do to remove the ProFlex or did you just put new Proflex over the old as you mentioned? How is it holding up? I live half a mile from the Pacific and we get wid storms here. They do a job on caulking, but I have had good luck with Proflex. In the past I have tooled it off (often it comes off in a long strip) and then wiped it down with acetone before I reapply.

roaminaround
Explorer
Explorer
What a coincidence. We have a 2006 Nash 26X as well and I did the same thing with lift off. Tried to match the paint with rattle cans. Called Nash for some paint but they don't make aluminum trailers anymore and had no info on matching paint color Ended up getting some custom made automotive paint to blend my mistake.
2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Ford F250 6.7 diesel
2006 Fish Rite 18' Yamaha 115 and T8

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's Proflex caulk, white (camping) gas is supposed to work well. So I tried it last year and it just didn't work well at all. I noticed it also softens the vinyl graphics (where under the caulk) which is def. NOT good.

The 3M caulk remover works better than white gas? The 3M "cleaner" says it's says for silicone tho? Put it on first to soften the caulk then scrape? Does it damage any plastic or metal trim? From now on I'm only going to remove the old caulk if absolutely necessary and just re-caulk over the old. I have to re-caulk all around one fender because the caulk has separated due to flexing of the fender and should remove all of the old caulk. I'd hate to damage the finish or decals.

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
I was just watching a YouTube video on this very subject. After scrapping, the guy used a Magic Eraser for the residue. It looked great and didn't touch the paint.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
This is the stuff I've used for 25 years- takes a bit of time to dissolve the caulk, but it will remove silicone caulk residue, and doesn't harm paint-

-- Chris Bryant

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Thanks for posting the heads up on that remover. :C

An easier way to do that is to mask off fixture and spray with Krylon paint.

I did the light next to the door, fridge vent,stove vent, and the back of my side mirrors. They all look like brand new now! All for about $3.00 for the can of spray paint.

Dried instantly and stays forever.

I have done this, as well.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:

(Photo link corrected)

I CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE PICTURE URL TO POST CORRECTLY.

Bill

Try just copying and pasting the link that's created here with no changes.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

I did the light next to the door, fridge vent,stove vent, and the back of my side mirrors. They all look like brand new now! All for about $3.00 for the can of spray paint.

That is what I have done also....clean the part.....mask it off and paint it.
cpaulsen

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
After scraping I used WD40 on a rag worked ok.