cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carry out satellite connection

stumpshot
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking into buying a Winegard gm-6000 sat sysyem for our '16 Jayco class C. I'm wondering about the Winegard "inserter box" which plugs into 110v and the sat coax plugs into the inserter.
We have no 110v connection in our side case where the park cable connection is.
We do have have a set of coax connections in the coach. 1 is plugged to the tv and another set for roof satellite connection.
I would like to plug the sat coax into the park hookup, the inserter to 110v near the tv and the inserter coax into the roof sat connection. Anyone doing this? Winegard says it might work, might not. Still waiting to hear from Jayco.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a Carryout with a separate 12v power supply - the one the OP described has a 110v to 12v plugin adapter.

I eventually disconnected a step light and put in a water proof 12v connection.

The extra power supplied to the dish has a MAJOR ADVANTAGE over the coax powered dishes. Distance from the receiver to the dish can be a lot longer. Iโ€™ve used that setup with the trailer in the woods and the dish as much as 250ft away.

With the coax supplied power the 2017 model dish we have is limited to a 50 ft cable run. More than that the dish wonโ€™t work.

Now I do have to say that keeping two cables unkinked is a hassle. Most of the time (75%?) we did not need the extra length. I changed because the separate power dish quit working. A couple friends have repaired theirs by buying a replacement main board or a used unit on e-Bay.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Winegard does not have a PI. It gets its power via the sat box thru the coax.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

stumpshot
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Have u looked at the ones that don't use a separate power source. Mine works well with power supplied through the coax.

Exactly what the Winegard is. The power goes thru the coax but needs 110v to plug the inserter into to send the power to the dish.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Have u looked at the ones that don't use a separate power source. Mine works well with power supplied through the coax.

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll find that when roof ant and the cable setups were installed at the factory they may have put a splitter in some location. A satelite signal won't go thru a splitter, if you have dedicated TV location that will have you 110v and hopefully you will have an outside wall to work with for your inserter coax cable

Also you should fine more help in the Technology Corner thread.