cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carpet vs laminate or planking

Bobbyg2013
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 40 foot RV with carpet and I want to replace that with either laminate or planking type material. The unit has 3 slide outs. Looking for advise as how to proceed and what I need to know about possible problems (i.e., scratching the floor when slide outs are moved in and out, etc. Thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
12V. You’re kinda gettin into your brand loyal rut here.

LOL. If only B&W made flooring. :B

Brand loyal...what about the Ram owner Mafia?? Thought you guys were all part of the same cult??

All of us B&W owners know, if they did make flooring, it would be top quality. :C

Jerry

You GOTZ DAT right!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"12V. You’re kinda gettin into your brand loyal rut here"

Don't think I ever mentioned a brand??????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

dedmiston
MFL wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Brand loyal...what about the Ram owner Mafia?? Thought you guys were all part of the same cult??

All of us B&W owners know, if they did make flooring, it would be top quality. :C

Jerry

True. True. You don't quit the RAM Mafia.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Jerry

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
What you say makes sense to me.

I was referring to the joints in the field, not the plank itself or the perimeter. I like the idea that it would be easy to replace a plank if the need arose.

That's probably the way I'll go.

Thanks
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wouldn’t doubt you if I hadn’t had great durability and none of the downfalls you’re professing with rubber snap lock flooring. (Not laminate or pressboard stuff, talking the stuff with no organic content, not up on the terminology).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO locking just tiles or planks is what I am saying. Glue down and no expansion or contraction.

Not sure what you are asking about waterproof? Water can get between the edges of locking or not. Floating the water will find its way under the tiles but glue down only will allow a very small amount between the edges.

I would not glue perimeter and float the center. Bottom line lots of poor quality out there. Buy quality and do it once. I would say a RV has worse traffic than a Dental Clinic with sand, dirt etc being tracked in all the time.

My Mobile Suites has LVT no lock direct glue. I have extra tiles if one gets damaged. EASY to pull and replace with no locking edges to contend with.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
"Cummins12V98-- Quality glue down LVT or LVP is where it's at! Bad pc simply pull it up and re glue. No buckling and no need to allow for expansion/contraction."

Don't mean to highjack your thread Bobby, but I am thinking about replacing the carpet in my RV as well, and was convinced that LVP was the answer. Maybe this will help both of us.......

12V:
-Are you saying that LVP does NOT expand/contract?
-Is the glue down method waterproof?
-Was thinking about gluing only the first and last couple of planks which would be under the opposing slides when they are in to prevent movement. The rest can float. Make sense?

I did about 900 sq ft of click LVP in my rented condo about four years ago, and it still looks great. No glue. Obviously there can be a big difference in traffic between commercial and residential.

Just wondering.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Forget the locking products.

Maybe expound on your statements about this.
Because fundamentally it seems the rubber/vinyl based snap lock floatingflooring is ideal for this.
Having trouble seeing the pitfalls in it. Both hypothetically and in real life. As my experience is opposite. Although cheap flooring is not one of my specialties.

Quality glue down LVT or LVP is where it's at! Bad pc simply pull it up and re glue. No buckling and no need to allow for expansion/contraction. Sen a lot of JUNK locking/floating floors.

I saw a lot of vinyl products in my career and these two are the way to go.

Built/remodeled over 100 Dental and Medical Clinics in NW WA and these are going to hold up over time much better.

My experience is certainly not as great as 99% of the residential work I’ve done was before the era of c rap lock flooring. And anything I build if it actually has a floor it’s gray and either hard troweled or broomed, lol.
Although I needed a quick durable solution for our laundry room and slapped down some rubber snap lock from Homie Deport one morning before I had to move the washer and dryer back in. That was 9 years ago and it’s been through 2 kids 4 dogs and sees more traffic than any other spot in the house and frankly it still looks about like new save for a couple hard scratches.
It seemed to have no issue in our last TC either. And it’s just too easy to install.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
utahflooring wrote:
Vinyl plank flooring has a solid surface and that means there is no opportunity for dirt, grime ad allergens to seep into it. Vinyl flooring is also easy to clean and requires no maintenance. That’s not the case with carpet. Carpet will attract, trap, and hold everything from dust mites to pet dander and urine. Carets hide germs in plain sight. If creating a healthy and hypoallergenic home for you family is important to you, then vinyl plank flooring is your best flooring option.

This is a new approach…..
The common sense spammer!

Yeah. I’ve had my eye on this account since he opened it early last month.

Spammer or just someone who loves him some flooring?

Lol!
I’ll take spammer for $200 Alex…
Ifn he was legit he’d have offered some real advice about flooring since he’s a flooring guru !

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Forget the locking products.

Maybe expound on your statements about this.
Because fundamentally it seems the rubber/vinyl based snap lock floatingflooring is ideal for this.
Having trouble seeing the pitfalls in it. Both hypothetically and in real life. As my experience is opposite. Although cheap flooring is not one of my specialties.

Quality glue down LVT or LVP is where it's at! Bad pc simply pull it up and re glue. No buckling and no need to allow for expansion/contraction. Sen a lot of JUNK locking/floating floors.

I saw a lot of vinyl products in my career and these two are the way to go.

Built/remodeled over 100 Dental and Medical Clinics in NW WA and these are going to hold up over time much better.

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
utahflooring wrote:
Vinyl plank flooring has a solid surface and that means there is no opportunity for dirt, grime ad allergens to seep into it. Vinyl flooring is also easy to clean and requires no maintenance. That’s not the case with carpet. Carpet will attract, trap, and hold everything from dust mites to pet dander and urine. Carets hide germs in plain sight. If creating a healthy and hypoallergenic home for you family is important to you, then vinyl plank flooring is your best flooring option.

Yeah. I’ve had my eye on this account since he opened it early last month.

Spammer or just someone who loves him some flooring?

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
utahflooring wrote: