cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can any 5 speed manual be towed?

revickers
Explorer
Explorer
So I got a little ahead of myself. I bought a 5 speed manual rear wheel drive Mercedes SLK to tow behind my RV. After I bought it I started checking on towing. Well, Mercedes can only be towed short distance. I can't find an adapter to connect to the front. The hardtop convertible just seemed like it would be a fun car to have on a trip. Any thoughts? Am I out of luck? I sure don't want to tow with a trailer. Thanks, Reggie
17 REPLIES 17

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The short answer? NO.

Different manual transmissions lubricate themselves differently. Most are splash lubricated, and what gets splashed depends on what shafts are in the oil, turning, under what conditions.

What is most at risk is usually the output shaft bearing. In many manual transmissions, the output shaft is high, not bathed in oil, and if it is the only thing turning, the bearing doesn't get lubricated. Failures, however, tend to be long term, either shortened life, or bearing seizure after a period of running dry.

The risk is mostly economic. How much does it cost to replace the shaft and bearing, or rebuild the transmission, or just scrap the vehicle and get another one. It is not quite like some automatic transmissions that will build up enough heat to explode or burst into flames.

I know a number of people who tow old import pickup trucks with "do not tow" manual transmissions (old Toyotas are popular). Mostly they tow 20-100 miles at a time, the bearing stays lubed. The truck might be worth $500 - 1000, economic risk is low. I don't think a M-B SLK might be in that risk category, but that depends on what the car means to you, what it is worth, and what it costs to replace or rebuild a transmission.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

oldkeywest91
Explorer
Explorer
1999 should have OBD2 computer,so added mileage not a problem.What you can look for is the position of the tail shaft.Is it located low,middle,or toward high point of trans.This is important for the Lubrication of the bearings on the main shaft and tail shaft.Manual trans have no pumps so all the lubrication come from the oil splashing around the casing.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding your classic Mercedes.

Also keep in mind that on some older vehicles the odometer is not digital and you will be racking up miles on your vehicle while being towed.

Which will come into play if you ever have plans on selling it, most buyers are not going to believe you that they were 'towed' miles nor will they, most likely, not want to buy a vehicle with high miles period.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

revickers
Explorer
Explorer
Like always- this is such a great forum. My car is a 1999- I just thought a hardtop convertible would be really a great vehicle for towing. We went down to the keys and rented a convertible and the smile on my wife's face was the reason I bought the car. I agree that we really don't want to drive separately because we love being together. I appreciate all the response. I will talk to transmission guys. My car (the R170 body which is the SLK230 and SLK350) was listed in the 2002 Motorhome book of cars that can be towed (well I said that and I just looked through every book and now can't find it). But there is question whether the same transmission was used in 2002 and 1999. Again, thank you everyone.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
This won't help with your Mercedes, but my Subaru 5 speed manual can be flat towed.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
He has more then just the trans he's saying no one makes a base plate to tow it with. Time to think trailering it.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a new mercedes with a warranty? I wouldn't want to do anything that could void the warranty on it. Or better yet, tear something up on it. Just have your wife follow you.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
revickers wrote:
So I got a little ahead of myself. I bought a 5 speed manual rear wheel drive Mercedes SLK to tow behind my RV. After I bought it I started checking on towing. Well, Mercedes can only be towed short distance. I can't find an adapter to connect to the front. The hardtop convertible just seemed like it would be a fun car to have on a trip. Any thoughts? Am I out of luck? I sure don't want to tow with a trailer. Thanks, Reggie

revickers,
Well, the very first thing I'd do if it were me, I'd do just exactly what many late model VW owners have done. VOA does not authorize ANY of it's fleet to be flat towed. But, many have taken it upon themselves to by-pass the service writer at their local dealerships and, go right to the transmission techs. They consulted with them for the very reason of flat towing. The techs told many of them it was fine to tow the stick versions but, they could endorse it due to already existing company regs.

So, maybe a trip down to the local Mercedes dealer and, try and go right to the transmission tech and see what he has to say about flat towing your particular model. He is the ultimate authority, not Remco. He knows EXACTLY what goes on inside that particular transmission, what's lubed, what's not lubed, while it would be flat towed.

If he say it's a no-go, well, you go to plan B. If he says you'll be perfectly fine, regardless of what company regs are, (just like many VW folks found out) then it's entirely up to you to go find a base plate and, hook your M/B up and tow away.

As for putting it on a dolly with the rear wheels on the ground, and, leaving the engine running, WHY DO THAT? If you'd do it that way, then find a base plate and, tow it with all four on the ground and, eliminate the dolly altogether. But, before I'd head off into the sunset towing car with a running engine, I'd do some serious checking on the operation too.

As for having your wife drive it while you're driving the coach, well, I've known a few that have done that and, they've really not liked that style of traveling at all. I know the wife and I would never do it. We like being together while traveling. Yep, you did "jump the gun" a bit when you put the cart before the horse, so to speak. A simple solution would be to just turn around and sell it and, find something that you and the War Department would both agree on as a "fun" vehicle to tow.

About a zillion folks here tow Jeep Wranglers (YJs, TJ, and JKs)(not many tow a stock CJ any more) and, those are ultra easy to set up for towing and, when it comes time to actually tow it, you're normally done in about 2 minutes.

Anyway, just some thoughts for you. Hope things work out. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
In SOME vehicles, the transmission fill plug can be replaced with a "street ell" pipe fitting, with the "ell" pointing up. the fill plug goes in the "ell". That will allow the transmission to be overfilled by about an inch of fluid level, which often will lube the rear and center mainshaft bearings.
This trick may also create leaks due to the increased fluid level.
I don't know if it will work in a Mercedes, though.
A driveshaft disconnect may be the best bet, if available. Such a mechanism does require frequent cleaning and maintenance to keep it working smoothly.
Good luck.

To directly answer the question, NO, all manual transmissions can not be towed four down, no matter the number of speeds.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Gsturner
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP--you might re-post the question specifically asking if anyone has experience towing your model of Mercedes.
SKP 115048
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Harley Heritage Softail as toad
Retired:
2007 Titan LE with the Big Tow Package
2010 Rockwood 8315BSS
2008 Suzuki GZ 250-Response to 3/4 Life Crisis :C

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I would do some exploring concerning your Mercedes. I am currently towing a Mini Cooper with a 6 speed manual transmission. Mini says "we do not recommend towing our cars". But many folks tow the manual transmission models, and Blue Ox and Roadmaster make baseplates for them. In the case of Mini it appears that they just have not tested their cars so they cannot recommend them. This may be the case with the Mercedes also. Has anyone on this forum towed a like Mercedes????

Ed Headington

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check Remco for towing equipment?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
revickers wrote:

Did you read the entire specs regarding towing distance?
Some just require starting a towed vehicle to circulate the fluids.

I have a Tracker that it is required to be 'started' every 250 miles when being towed. No disconnect required.

In 6 years I have never found it inconvenient to stop and start it every 250 miles. Between pit stops, rest stops, fuel stops etc. It always came at the same time so I have never had to make a stop 'just' to start it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
revickers wrote:
Could I put it on a dolly and leave the car running, put it in neutral, and tow it with back wheels down?
That's a question I think you should ask the dealer. If you bought it new then I would think you'd be very concerned about any warranty issues with towing. Having your wife drive it seems like a decent idea if you don't spend a large number of days traveling. But it kind of sounds like this one just isn't going to work out the way you want it to. Bummer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"