cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California Firearm Compliance

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
I have a license to carry a handgun issued by the State of Texas. For the most part, all states recognize this license... However, California does not. What do I need to do when entering California to comply with the state laws regarding a handgun in my possession (either in the tow vehicle or in the camper).

TIA.....
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
74 REPLIES 74

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
California does not recognize any other states CCW. As stated, gun unloaded in one part of the vehicle, empty 10 round mags and ammo somewhere else. Thatโ€™s the stated law. Iโ€™m one of the few Los Angeles County non Leo citizens that has a California CCW. It only took one year! Before I received my CCW I always carried two loaded handguns in the motorhome. A traffic violation does not warrant a search.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I just carry bear repellant. If it will stop a charging grizzly, it will turn a 200# thug into a wimpering little girl.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned carry what you want in your home on wheels.

In your tow vehicle keep it out of sight.

I will always choose to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Public target practice good idea to have 10 round mags.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part, all states recognize this license... However, California does not.

MA offers no reciprocity to any state. Very happy I now live in a state that trusts me.

As stated, it is your responsibility to make sure of the law.

And as I always remind people should you choose to violate said law please be prepared to suffer the consequences. And keep a lawyer on retainer.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
If you are traveling from a location where you are legal to have the firearm to another location where you are legal to have the firearm you're allowed to travel through the state with the firearm unloaded and stored in a place not easily accessible while you're travel. A big question mark in my mind has to do with any stays in CA. It's a big state but I'm not clear on whether under federal law that governs transportation if you'd be covered if you happen to stay overnight. I read about folks that have gotten arrest in states where they were traveling through, had their trip interrupted, ending up staying overnight and got arrest for illegal possession of a firearm.

IANAL, but I believe this is correct. You may travel THROUGH but not TO a state that does not recognize your license/permit. For example, I travel through The Peoples Republic of Maryland several times a year, and interstate law allows this under condition. Gun must be unloaded and separate from ammo, and out of "immediate access", so thinking trunk or behind drivers seat locked. But if your destination IS CA, then is probably illegal to possess it in any manner. As stated, it is your responsibility to make sure of the law.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
States which make their laws overly restrictive and do not accept rules that are considered standard norms in most other states choose to make folks unwelcome. I agree to their desires and avoid them.

In general you can find most of their non standard laws in general web searches. The magazine ban and some others are fairly recent.

Also organizations like USCCA offer reciprocity maps concerning states laws.
The safest thing is not to go there. They cant arrest you if you dont go there.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My best advice is DO NOT DO IT.
But if you must.. Contact the NRA. they keep all sorts of resources for folks who want to go against my advice.

NOTE: I"m not a lawyer. My advice is thus not legal advice.. It is simply the easiest way to avoid a problem.. If you don't do it. You CAN NOT get in trouble for doing it .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Most LEOs, like myself, will not tell you whether or not your CCW covers you in a specific state. That is your responsibility to look up yourself as a CCW carrier. While the members of this forum are being helpful, stating you learned this on an Internet Forum to a Peace Officer or in a court of law . . . well you can draw your own conclusion. Getting a link and researching it yourself is the proper way for all CCW carriers when traveling through states and countries other than the issuing CCW state/county.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=349

The best resource I can think of is Calguns.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
If you are traveling from a location where you are legal to have the firearm to another location where you are legal to have the firearm you're allowed to travel through the state with the firearm unloaded and stored in a place not easily accessible while you're travel. A big question mark in my mind has to do with any stays in CA. It's a big state but I'm not clear on whether under federal law that governs transportation if you'd be covered if you happen to stay overnight. I read about folks that have gotten arrest in states where they were traveling through, had their trip interrupted, ending up staying overnight and got arrest for illegal possession of a firearm.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your ammo and guns separate, gun in a locked case and stored away from vehicle occupants accessiblity. Make sure the gun and magazines are legal in California to possess, there's special laws about which guns and magazine capacity.

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
In CA transportation of a handgun must be done with the gun unloaded in a locked container, your glove box does not count. Long guns must be in a case designed to carry firearms, but not required to lock them, and must be unloaded during transportation. No magazines over 10 rounds, to possess is a felony. Once you are parked the firearms must not be accessible by anyone under the age of 16, but you can have them out and loaded.

No SBR's, full auto or suppressors.

CA does consider your RV your home and we do have a castle law with no duty to retreat.

Now the real question is, what county are going to be in? The coastal counties can be very unfriendly towards firearms vs the central counties being, for the most part, rather libertarian towards them.

Do not carry without a CCW issued by a county sheriff, and really, your not going to be able to get one.

You can try contacting the DOJ but they are notorious for being unresponsive and unwilling to actually answer any questions when you do get ahold of them.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well any hand gun with a magazine larger than 10 rounds is not allowed.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it best that you contact California officials directly rather than depend on advice from forum users; However an option would be LEO people who respond to your post or an organization such as NRA.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have found THIS SITE helpful in my initial answering of the state-by-state status. If I read it correctly, it seems that California honors Texas.

ON EDIT: It has been a while since I visited that site. Texas honors California, not the other way.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.