cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breakowns while travelling

scottyballs
Explorer
Explorer
Live in southern Ontario. Bought my truck and fifth wheel 5 years ago. Been taking winter vacations in Florida the past 3 years. This past spring there was an issue with the truck and I had an incredibly stressful 4 day drive home.

Just because we have a trailer and manage to get a short vacation in Florida, does not mean we are wealthy. The opposite is true. We have to scrimp and save for each trip.

Anyway, we made it home safely, without incident. But it got me wondering how many other RVers have acttually broken down, perhaps in the hills of Tennesse or some other remote place. I am a writer and would like to do some research about this. Tell me your story.

Where ddoes one start? Who do you call? If the tow truck takes your truck, do you leave your trailer on the side of the road. Where do you stay? How do you get there? Do you trust the people fixing your truck?

I'd like to hear as may stories as possible. Private message me and I'll give you my email if you do not want to post on this site.
39 REPLIES 39

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
So far his trip I covered the toad with Dextron II from a pressure switch leak and then anti-freeze from a leak in the radiator expansion tank. Both were fixed on the road, although I needed to get to a Ford dealer for the expansion tank.

Note to self: don't buy a white toad.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my story, happened just a few weeks ago, leaving Red River, NM, climbing Bobcat Pass, limped into Eagle Nest, NM, and then the real fun began trying to get it fixed. Transmission control module and internal mode switch in the transmission went out (Duramax w/ Allison). $3K and a week later we made it home. Lesson learned, if your tow vehicle breaks around Taos, NM, don't let them tow it to Taos, take it to Santa Fe.

NM woes
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a NeverLube bearing slide in the hub because the "C" clip was not seated at the factory and while maneuvering the curves along the California Coast South of Carmel the rotor contacted the caliper mounting bracket. Pulled over and there was HOT popping coming from one wheel.

I used my trusty TrailerAid and removed the wheel and removed the caliper as it was so hot the rubber boot around the piston was melted. I cut a pc of plywood and slipped it between the brake pads and lashed the caliper out of the way and slapped the tire back on and continued 150 mile to my destination.

Contacted Kodiak, they replaced everything under warranty and fixed at my camp site when the parts arrived a couple days later!

No hill for a climber!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I dread the thought of breaking down. I am very proactive with maintenance but you can't prevent everything. It only takes one idiot to not see you and then it's over. It doesn't take much to trash a motorhome. My wife is in a wheelchair. If we break down, my problems begin with wondering how I would get her out considering the lift extends out about 6' and 4' for a wheelchair. If i manage to end up next to a nice flat level area fine, but just about all road edges slope down from the break down lane. Tow trucks won't tow with someone inside so she needs to come out. If blocked, will have to call 911 to have someone help me carry her out and back into her wheelchair so we can get into toad. The other choice is to not RV at all. The older I get, the more I worry. I laugh now at my youthful ignorance when we used to take 1K+ trips without a toad. Now I wish I could two 3 of them.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had our share of incidents over the years & some 200,000 truck miles. One one has been a rip off. A BS shop in Laramie, WY. when we were still relative newbies. All others have been great & gone the extra mile to get us back on the road in quick time.

We have work needing to be done during our next trip. Today reviews on any business are easy to find. It is in their interest to step up their game for the customer. I have a shop picked out, briefed their shop guy on what needs to be done, got the labour rate. His time estimate is about the same as mine. All I need to do is call back & book a time ASAP for them to book me in.

I expect this to be a good, although expensive, experience.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
I alway travel with a toolbox with what I need to fix anything that can be done away from home.

I replaced the radiator on our maiden voyage with the current camper.

Had the high pressure side power steering hose start squirting fluid on one trip, small crack in it. Mcguyverd that one. Tied it tight with some shop rags, then zip tied the rags as tight as I could. Actually worked!

I always pack zip ties, duct tape and JB weld for limp home fixes.

Fixed a trailer light wiring issue in a walmart parking lot, had to replace the 7 pin connector because it kept tripping fuses.

Changed gear oil in a truck stop parking lot because the rear gears ate themselves and the fluid got hot enough to melt the paint off the diff cover and axle tubes. I only changed the oil because we had another 4 hours to home and I was doing everything I could to get us there. Rear howled all the way home but other than noise it got us there.

That's just the Suburban in my sig. I have tons of stories from other trips and vehicles.

It can happen, just have to be prepared. Not to scare you, I've had plenty of problem free trips as well. I am proactive with fixing and inspecting the truck, but unexpected things do happen. The tricky ones suck in the moment, but make great stories later! ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a break down yet (knock on wood) but have passed many a RVer on the side of the road with the hoods up. Stopped to help a few, mainly ones that I deemed didn't have computers and sensors all over the engine.

I know my engine inside and out, my finger prints are all over every single part of it. Have rebuilt the stater and alternator, rebuilt the injection pump, deleated every single sensor making the motor 100% mechanical and computer free. Short of a bottom end rebuild I would find the parts and fix it myself. I do carry a extra water pump, fan belt, fuel filters and a complete toolbox.

I guess my one scary moment was with my old Army truck returning from Ensada Mexico. A transmission cooler line fractured and started leaking. I stopped at a auto parts store and bought all the ATF they had determined to get back to the USA. Even though the boarder wait was over a hour and I had to start and stop the engine probably 300 times we made it to Del Mar, Ca before I called it quits.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Here I sit in Montreal with the starter on my truck just went. 3rd time since the end of May. Original one lasted 9 years and nearly 190,000 km. Replacement lasted 6 weeks and now this one about 6 weeks too. I have CAA so truck is getting towed to the local dealer in the morning.

Had bearings go twice on the trailer. Once in a provincial park and the park maintenance guy drove me into town for parts and then fixed for me to get home. Second time an hour out of Myrtle beach and DD gets hungry and sure enough bearings went (think brake seized first) and was running on spindle. AAA flat bedded the trailer into Myrtle for a new axle.

Before we had the trailer broke a front spring on a Windstar coming home from Florida and spent an extra weekend there until they could fix it.

Stuff happens. Just have to deal with it. I have CAA Premier RV which has come in handy over the last 2 years.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a Dutch Star MH and after getting it the way we wanted, headed south for 3 weeks in Florida. Got into North Carolina and got an overheat warning, Water pouring out of the side radiator. Coachnet got us to Cummins Atlantic in Kenly where diagnosed as needs a radiator, total bottom rotted away. Spent three days there on their hookup and one day in a motel till it got fixed.

Went back to a fifth wheel a couple of years later, headed for Florida again and had a rear wheel smoking on 95 in the middle of Georgia. Spent 4 hours on the side of 95 waiting on a service truck and then 3 hours getting in back together with new bearings.

Went back to a MH (current rig) headed back north and lost the alternator in Brunswick GA. Got towed to Blackshear GA and spent 2 days waiting on a new alternator.

I would avoid Florida so these things don't happen but I'll be darned if I'll spend a winter in northern NY when I can go south.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When it comes to towing.
1st Coachnet. Good Sams. AAA and most all roadside assistance firms do not own or operate tow trucks. They contract. With companies like Gouch and sons in Detroit. Who sent the nearest tow truck when I got stuck Way too small (but got it done anyway. My Strong mine + his strong back miracles happen). It is common to send the nearest truck to "Triage" the incident and then send what is needed to do the job .

As you can guess. I know how and where to hook up my RV to be towed... But then I spent a few years working for a towing company and swiftly found I knew "Rigging" better than most of their drivers.. It's not that hard. Simple physics. But it helps when you break down.. Even if it's only a car.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We've blown out most of our tires over the years, before realizing the rest were dry rotted. This is usually on the interstate, and we spend a few hours thankful that we're in an RV with food and entertainment, rather than a car. Road service is a God send, and we gladly pay for it, as well as carry a proper spare.

Otherwise, we've been fortunate to have good mechanics for preventative maintenance at home. Most of those encountered on the road are neither cheap nor quick. I'd head to one of the many Ford dealers first if needed.

This hobby requires some disposable income, patience, and flexibility. And plenty of maintenance.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
I may look into GSRSA, but for now I can still do some repairs and carry necessary tools. That and have a lot of available credit!
Have savings also, but pay with a card with a protection plan so you can easily challenge bad service!

I simply don't trust many people to do a QUALITY job. So as long as I am able I will always do my own repairs.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We've had 3 significant break-downs while traveling, all with our Hybrid TT. Our first Tow Vehicle was a Chevy Astro Van. On our second big trip out, the fuel pump failed about 80 miles from our Destination. AAA Plus with RV towed us to our destination, dropped the HTT at the campground and then towed the Astro to the nearest Chevy dealer.

When we went to Disney (from NJ) back in 2005 we had 2 incidents. The first on the way down, the radiator started to leak after an overnight stop just outside of Baltimore, MD. We were at a Walmart, so I bought some anti-freeze, filled up and drove to a Chevy dealership we were familiar with. They had the radiator in stock and had us back on the road after a few hours. We dropped the HTT at a Target across the street from the dealership since the dealership didn't have room for it. On the way back, the transmission lost first and second gear as we entered Virginia. I didn't realize it at the time since we were traveling at highway speeds. When we stopped south of Fredericksburg, VA for a bathroom break, I realized the transmission was on its way out. We limped to the Fredericksburg, VA KOA and spent the night. Called AAA for a tow to the nearest GM Dealer and left the TT at the KOA. We spent another night at the KOA and then took a taxi to the dealership when they were finished replacing the transmission.

The final breakdown was after we switched to a Nissan Xterra as our tow vehicle. I was returning from an off-roading trip at Rausch Creek in PA. I was a few miles from Hamburg, PA when I noticed I didn't have any passing power. I planned to get off at the next exit when all of a sudden the rear driver's side tire went bouncing up I-78, jumped the jersey wall and then settled just inside the jersey wall. Apparently, when I swapped my off-road tires on the Xterra to my street tires, I must have forgotten to tighten the lug nuts on the rear driver's side tire. We lived in GA at the time, but my parents were about 100 miles away. AAA Plus with RV towed truck and trailer to my parents. Turned out to be 99 miles (AAA Plus tows first 100 miles free).

The only other problem we had on the road was a blowout on our Class C motorhome. Blew an inner dual tire on the curb side. AAA sent a mobile tire repair company to put on our spare tire.

Traveling far from home on a tight budget is a recipe for disaster.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
2015 we broke down on I-65 just south of Birmingham, Alabama. At the time I had Good Sam roadside assistance. Blew the engine in our truck. Called GoodSam Roadside assistance explained to them what was going on. After 4 &1/2 hours and many phone calls to GoodSam to find out was going on, a tow truck to tow the truck and a pick up to tow the 5er showed up.
They towed us to their garage to drop truck off, then towed the 5er to a campground near by.
We stayed their until we could figure out what we needed to do.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013