cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Forest Fire in CO

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
The Black Forest fire is reported as 65% contained. The fire burned 15,500 acres, destroyed 483 homes, and took 2 lives. At the heighth of the evacuation there were 38,000 people evacuated. They are starting now to lower the restrictions and allowing some people back in to see their homes. We got out with our 5th wheel when the fire started with our pets and are presently staying at Colorado Heights RV in Monument (now a public RV park). Our home is intact, we will probably return home Tuesday.
The Royal Gorge fire near Canon City is reported as 100% contained. Hiway 50 is now open in both directions.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)
9 REPLIES 9

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
Accidents do happen, such as a construction worker sparking one off if that is the case. Not that it makes it any easier for the people affected by the fire but I would really hate to found out that it was some piece of trash arsonist that intentionally caused this devastation.

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
I just wish they would PUNISH the folks who start them. The guy who burned down a lot of Los Alomos just got promoted from what I was told. If there are no consequences, why should people care?
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Some people just don't have a clue about the damage they can do. I was at a chili cook-off in Flagstaff today. We have had dry windy conditions for a couple of months with red flag warnings almost daily.
There was a lady smoking in a no smoking area so she was trying to hide her cigarette. She kept flicking her ashes behind her body and into a bunch of pine trees that had needles and cones under them.
When I approached her about this she got very upset and told me it was none of my business. I just told her if she continued I would make it my business. I later found out that we had a fire start today just outside Flagstaff.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Heard maybe it was a construction worker making repairs to a house, but there's no official statement on it yet.
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
Any news on who started it? Last I read they said somebody lit it, but unsure if it was deliberate or an accident.

House we lived in many many years ago is now gone. I put lots of work into that house. Hope the folks who bought it are ok.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
AS long-time members of Colorado Heights, as C2C home park,, I hadn't heard that they had opened up to the public - other than prospective buyers. Nice park but has been too high for my emphysema. Say hi to Tracy and family - second generation owners!
Rochonadel - hope your home has made it??

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
AS long-time members of Colorado Heights, as C2C home park,, I hadn't heard that they had opened up to the public - other than prospective buyers. Nice park but has been too high for my emphysema. Say hi to Tracy and family - second generation owners!

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Just bumped it up to 480 homes destroyed and 55% contained.

I took the Class C up to Jellystone RV Park in Larkspur, 20 miles north on I-25. The park itself could use some updates, but the people were REALLY nice. They offered some extras to the evacuees, like making the pancake breakfast free and waiving a few policies. For example, I cancelled one night of my reservation (tonight) after the normal deadline and they waived the fee.

Back at home now, and thankful to have one to come back to...480 families aren't so lucky, but at least almost everyone is alive and safe.
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

ngreen
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you and your home is safe. Such a sad situation for such a beautiful area
Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer,Up in the mountains, down by the ocean,Where don't matter long as we're goin'