cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best RV for towing Jeep

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was wondering if anyone could offer some advise on the best RV to tow a 4500lb Jeep. I am looking for the smallest RV with a queen fixed bed and enough storage for fulltiming.

I know there are many criteria to consider. I am just wondering where people seem to gravitate after trying several options.

Ideally a 25-26ft unit will be perfect. I am trying to avoid the 6 mpg gas guzzlers.

MC
9 REPLIES 9

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Rich,

On the 35U, did you ever have any issues finding campgrounds? We have a 42 5th wheel now and it is a nightmare.

Probably a mute point but what kind of mpg were you getting with the 35U. We drive a lot so getting at least 9-10mpg makes a bug difference.

MC

only at very old state parks. we had our 35U for 15-years, criss-crossing the country a number of times. we loved that coach. sorry we traded it in.

and just FYI, the new Winnebago Sunstar 29V has a GCWR of 23,000 and a GVWR of 18,000, a difference of 5000-lbs. assuming it has a Class III hitch and you don't overload either axle you should be able to tow 5K.

Just for grins I looked on RVTrader (www.rvt.com) and searched for Class A gas motorhomes priced at less than $60K. At random I selected a 2020 Coachman 27XPS

https://www.rvt.com/Coachmen-Pursuit-27SXP-2020-Lincolnshire-IL-ID10683785-UX469798).

I looked up the specs for that model

https://coachmenrv.com/class-a-motorhomes/Pursuit/27XPS/7173

and see the GCWR is 23,000 and the GVWR is 16,000, a difference of 7,000-lbs, with the same hitch rating and axle overloading assumptions.

Again, the GCWR and GVWR difference is a clue as to the tow capacity. You need to do your homework and research before purchasing. That would include talking to other owners, the mfg, etc.

So, gas motorhomes with a 5K tow capacity are out there, new and used. You just have to dig.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kinda figured that, but didnโ€™t know for sure. My take is be flexible about the MPG on a unit that can pull a JKU/JLU Wrangler especially if youโ€™re not planning on putting a lot of miles on it annually. My DW complains about need mid/high premium gas in her Mini Cooper. Which gets great mileage. Yet she only drives 2-3k miles a year at most. Not an issue.

speediq99 wrote:
I havent found ine that can Tom.

They all have the hitch rating but now the capacity to tow that much.

MC

wildtoad wrote:
Based on your criteria (size and mpg) youโ€™d be looking for something on the Sprinter diesel chassis which you may know is built by Mercedes. I donโ€™t know if it can tow 4500 lbs, but it may very well do so.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
I havent found one that can tow yet.

They all have the hitch rating but now the capacity to tow that much.

MC

wildtoad wrote:
Based on your criteria (size and mpg) youโ€™d be looking for something on the Sprinter diesel chassis which you may know is built by Mercedes. I donโ€™t know if it can tow 4500 lbs, but it may very well do so.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you Rich,

On the 35U, did you ever have any issues finding campgrounds? We have a 42 5th wheel now and it is a nightmare.

Probably a mute point but what kind of mpg were you getting with the 35U. We drive a lot so getting at least 9-10mpg makes a bug difference.

MC

rk911 wrote:
as you search for your MH one quick way is to look at the specs. a 5000-lb difference between the GVWR and GCWR will be the first indication that your requirement has been met. the MH should also have a hitch capable of towing 5K.

but it's important to fully understand the weight limits of your RV. each axle has a gross weight rating that should not be exceeded and it is possible to for the MH to be under it's GVWR and still be overweight on one axle (usually the rear). I know from experience.

if you're looking for a used coach check out the Winnebago Adventurer/Itasca Suncruiser model 35U (model years 2000 and later). We had one and loved it and in retrospect we never should have traded it. Fixed queen bed, great rear axle weight limit, 5K hitch/5k tow limit, plenty of storage and an excellent, very livable floor plan. We had the Ford power plant.

Good luck.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
We would love to get a Sprinter on a Mercedes diesel hut I think that platform maxes out at around 4k to be within the GVWR. Any suggestion on one module that has room left for 4500lbs Jeep towing would be appreciated.

I think it is either a Class A or a Class C. In today's, camping world, I want to be around 30-32 at the most. Campgrounds are very few and far between when you get over 35ft.

MC

wildtoad wrote:
Based on your criteria
(size and mpg) youโ€™d be looking for something on the Sprinter diesel chassis which you may know is built by Mercedes. I donโ€™t know if it can tow 4500 lbs, but it may very well do so.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Rk911 โ€ฆ Did you mean GCWR VS GVWR?

yup. sorry. post fixed.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rk911 โ€ฆ Did you mean GCWR VS GVWR?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
as you search for your MH one quick way is to look at the specs. a 5000-lb difference between the GVWR and GCWR will be the first indication that your requirement has been met. the MH should also have a hitch capable of towing 5K.

but it's important to fully understand the weight limits of your RV. each axle has a gross weight rating that should not be exceeded and it is possible to for the MH to be under it's GVWR and still be overweight on one axle (usually the rear). I know from experience.

if you're looking for a used coach check out the Winnebago Adventurer/Itasca Suncruiser model 35U (model years 2000 and later). We had one and loved it and in retrospect we never should have traded it. Fixed queen bed, great rear axle weight limit, 5K hitch/5k tow limit, plenty of storage and an excellent, very livable floor plan. We had the Ford power plant.

Good luck.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC