cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery finally died at about 9-1/2 years old

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
I have five 12 volt group 31 deep cycle/marine batteries in our Carriage Carrilite 5th wheel and one died. Purchase date for that Energizer battery was 12/09 on the sticker on the battery so it's about 9-1/2 years old. The other 4 are Meijer Pro-cell (Now called Power cell) and the sticker on them is 1/10 (a month newer than the Energizer) and all 4 are still going strong. Also have the 2 Meijer same batteries in the bed of the diesel tow truck and were purchased the same time and still are good. Gave us 7 batteries with 110 AH each for our 2500 watt 5th wheel inverter.

I normally replace RV and/or Boat batteries when 6-7 years old but wanted to see how long the would really last this time so the 6 will still be in use. Maybe I have been replacing my RV and boat batteries way too soon?

So glad I didn't go to 6 volt GC batteries as when one fails you lose the use of 2 as it takes two 6 volt batteries to make 12 volts. so easy to find which is the failed 12 volt battery and just disconnect it!

Sure not complaining at all about the one 12v battery going bad as 9-1/2 years of constant use is excellent and just wondering how long the other 6 will last now. I do run an "Reconditioning Cycle" from my standalone 40 amp charger each year on each battery isolated so maybe that really does help.

Wife just reminded me that the 6 Meijer batteries were on sale when I bought them in January 2010 before we left for Florida.. Price was $99.95 each and was on sale for $89.99 and then used our senior 15% off coupon on them so my final cost was $76.50 each. Not bad and they lasted so long!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT
20 REPLIES 20

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I keep battery tenders on my RV batteries, tractor, and my 3 antique cars. I think they greatly increase the life of the batteries.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
2oldman,

No, when another 1 or 2 go bad I will replace all 7 at the same time. For now, having 660 amps with the 6 remaing batteries for the 5th wheel being available is plenty good enough.

Whoops, I forgot about the 8th group 31 battery that I have which is in the Lance TC battery compartment. Looks like I will be replacing 8 group 31 batteries when I do. Might be time to watch the ads so I can strike when the iron is hot rather than having to pay more 8 times later! Not in any big hurry presently but who knows when?

For cheap Group 31 batteries,visit any truck supply house. Dealerships move them in pallets sized quantities, so they're fresh, prices are good, and it's quick to trade.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
The comments about comfort living 24/7 and not dying in obtrusive heat and dust in very bleak dead looking landscape surroundings are so true and spot on. Been to Arizona many times mainly at the Phoenix Proving Grounds in all so called seasons and we have toured the state of Arizona from south to north and west to east RV'ing etc and never again as we have much better choices.

For us, it's always lush green true forests and gorgeous green vegetation and natural pristine navigable lakes and rivers all around and the joy of having true and actual 4 seasons each and every year. Vibrant bright colored leaves in fall and the pure crisp white snow in winter followed by spring with its array such colorful flowers, blooming colorful trees, and the ground with a lush carpet of lush green grass everywhere not just where one can water it.

Next is summer which has months long throngs of constant long weeks terms visitor's license plates from Arizona and the rest of the southern states and southwestern states and guess why? They are escaping the horrible oppressive oven like heat and other issues etc that makes their states unbearable to be outside daytime and most nights too. Can't even shovel that heat away or blow the horrible humidity away in the south either!

The only reason we go down to Florida in January for about 2 months is because we visit several of our family who lives in the state and because my wife has had 19 operations and is full of metal brackets etc and screws and mostly disabled. Sure doesn't want to slip and fall for more operations being required. Besides neither of us can take the heat and we are and always been very outdoor people 12 months a year and detest being cooped up inside in constant A/C while just looking out the windows. Other make their own choices!

BTW, that means that because of so much shade where we prefer to camp or overnight in the forested states with out having hookups, we have to rely on batteries for inverters and generators/alternators for the recharging of the batteries because the sun is usually totally blocked. Under trees and by the water's edge is a way of life and camping! Just in Michigan alone, 51% of the land is forested and there's more than 11,000 natural inland lakes plus over 3,200 miles of shoreline on 4 of the 5 huge Great Lakes with endless real fishing, swimming, water sports, boating, hundreds of beaches, etc for everyone to use and enjoy... NO shortage at all of clean clear water and dense forests and/or public land here!
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
You don't have to scoop heat.
Batteries and propane can easily keep me warm for days. Try using batteries to keep cool.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer

I can always toss another log on the fire or put on a sweater if itโ€™s chilly.

When it gets too hot, I can only take off so much clothing before I get laughed at or arrested.

LOL I tell my brother that a lot. He lives in Phoenix.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Supercharged wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
Supercharged,

Just one of maybe a hundred reasons we'd never live in Arizona, period! Both despise hot temps and/or stiffiling humidity too and are always out of Florida before the end of March too!

Lots of family to visit yearly down there scattered in Florida from after the first week of January and out before end of March and back to God's country on the beautiful pristine shore of Lake Michigan in West Michigan! Work out of our CG where the 5th wheel is parked with day trips etc for visits.

I can always toss another log on the fire or put on a sweater if itโ€™s chilly.

When it gets too hot, I can only take off so much clothing before I get laughed at or arrested.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Supercharged,

Just one of maybe a hundred reasons we'd never live in Arizona, period! Both despise hot temps and/or stiffiling humidity too and are always out of Florida before the end of March too!

Lots of family to visit yearly down there scattered in Florida from after the first week of January and out before end of March and back to God's country on the beautiful pristine shore of Lake Michigan in West Michigan! Work out of our CG where the 5th wheel is parked with day trips etc for visits.
So big a world, so little time to see.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am currently studying up on solar systems for RVs. The new battery technology is amazing. Next up is the purchase of an AGM battery around 100 amp/hours totally superior to reg lead acid for RVs.

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged,

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman,

No, when another 1 or 2 go bad I will replace all 7 at the same time. For now, having 660 amps with the 6 remaing batteries for the 5th wheel being available is plenty good enough.

Whoops, I forgot about the 8th group 31 battery that I have which is in the Lance TC battery compartment. Looks like I will be replacing 8 group 31 batteries when I do. Might be time to watch the ads so I can strike when the iron is hot rather than having to pay more 8 times later! Not in any big hurry presently but who knows when?

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
I have five 12 volt group 31 deep cycle/marine batteries in our Carriage Carrilite 5th wheel and one died. Purchase date for that Energizer battery was 12/09 on the sticker on the battery so it's about 9-1/2 years old. The other 4 are Meijer Pro-cell (Now called Power cell) and the sticker on them is 1/10 (a month newer than the Energizer) and all 4 are still going strong. Also have the 2 Meijer same batteries in the bed of the diesel tow truck and were purchased the same time and still are good. Gave us 7 batteries with 110 AH each for our 2500 watt 5th wheel inverter.

I normally replace RV and/or Boat batteries when 6-7 years old but wanted to see how long the would really last this time so the 6 will still be in use. Maybe I have been replacing my RV and boat batteries way too soon?

So glad I didn't go to 6 volt GC batteries as when one fails you lose the use of 2 as it takes two 6 volt batteries to make 12 volts. so easy to find which is the failed 12 volt battery and just disconnect it!

Sure not complaining at all about the one 12v battery going bad as 9-1/2 years of constant use is excellent and just wondering how long the other 6 will last now. I do run an "Reconditioning Cycle" from my standalone 40 amp charger each year on each battery isolated so maybe that really does help.

Wife just reminded me that the 6 Meijer batteries were on sale when I bought them in January 2010 before we left for Florida.. Price was $99.95 each and was on sale for $89.99 and then used our senior 15% off coupon on them so my final cost was $76.50 each. Not bad and they lasted so long!
In Az. In summer heat try 2 or 3 years
So big a world, so little time to see.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
travelnutz wrote:

FIrst 9 1/2 years is .. well the average is 7-10 and the record is not far beyond that so 9 1/2 is rather good.

As for the 6 Volt GC.. "When one fails" you need to re-think
Each PAIR of GC-2 is ONE 12 volt battery. When one half of a 12 volt battery fails. Yes you replace both halves.. But always remember when you are carrying them they are six volt. when on teh shelf they are six volt. when you hook up that jumper lead they became two halves of a SINGLE 12 volt battery and that is how you treat them

IN your case (six group 31's) That's 2 pair and a group 31 on the side. BUT.. All in all. I would not expect longer (or shorter) life.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
If you routinely run your batteries until they die of old age, yes, you're better off with the 12. However, if you replace them at age 4-6 when they show signs of weakness, then there's nothing wrong with 6ers.

Are you now going to put a new battery in with the old ones?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We got 9 seasons out of our 4D Lifeline AGM on the trailer. No winter maintenance.

I have a couple of 2002 gel cell group 31s which have had little use & get an occasional top up charge if I happen to think of them. Still get a good load test on them. These batteries are kept around to use as hurricane batteries in the house to power chargers on an inverter & a few 12V lights till the storm dies down & the genny can be taken outside & run.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995