cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery & Electricity Question

jrski
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small Coachmen Apex Nano 193BHS trailer that I have only used one time. Last weekend, my son took it to our little farm and set it up by the pond about 315 feet from the electrical outlet and breaker. He plugged it into the electrical outlet and extended the 10 gauge extension cord to the trailer. I estimated that with the power drop he would only have between 2 - 5 amps. available. He used the electrical outlets extend the awning and to power a couple of portable fans and, although I told them not to, his wife used the microwave for 20 or 30 seconds. When he got ready to leave the site he didn't have enough DC power to retract the awning until he plugged into his 7-pin connection on his truck. I have several questions about this - The battery didn't charge up before they left so I'm wondering if they ever had electrical AC power to the trailer. Second, since the breaker never tripped when they used the microwave I'm guessing that they ran it off the DC power? I am pretty much inept when dealing with these things. Any ideas?
JR & Cookie
2003 Monaco Knight 32PBD, Cummins 315HP ISC w/Banks
2003 Jeep Wrangler
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suspects: Tripped breaker (The one that feeds the outlet he plugged into)
Tripped breaker (The one marked CONV in the RV)
Converter (Blown fuse or blown converter, what make and model converter???)
Tripped battery circuit breaker / blown fuse

Other issue.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
jrski wrote:
...I estimated that with the power drop he would only have between 2 - 5 amps. available.
A technical correction. Long extension cords cause VOLTAGE drop. Voltage drop actually increases the required current (amps) for the same load. The increase amps make connections run hotter.

jrski wrote:
...The battery didn't charge up before they left so I'm wondering if they ever had electrical AC power to the trailer.

Time to check the output of your converter.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The microwave ran off of AC. If the MW drew 10 amps on 315' of #10 that's a 5.5% voltage drop. If there was exactly 120v at the outlet you would have had 113v at the RV. That should have been fine. I think your dead battery problem is unrelated to the long extension cord's use.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it have a disconnect switch? You won't be able to charge the battery if the disconnect switch is in the wrong position.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK now that you are home... plug in and measure the battery voltage. You should see about 13.6 volts on the battery terminals. Post the results.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The air conditioner, microwave, and elec portion of water heater and normal wall plugs all run on AC power only. They will not run on 12v DC power. Everything else in the trailer is powered by 12v DC.

It is probable that the converter was not charging the batteries when you were plugged in because the breaker was tripped or some other reason. That would account for the battery being discharged and only working when you plugged into the tow vehicle 12v. Perhaps the short use of the microwave blew the breaker.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Microwave for that trailer is highly likely running off of DC

I haven't looked but my gut tells me that 350' of 10g is not enough. It's voltage drop you should be worried about, and that's a function of amp draw.

If you didn't disconnect a fully charged battery, it is toast in about 2 weeks from the onboard power drain. Was it plugged in when you attempted to wind up the awning? If so, you may have an issue with the onboard converter.