Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary fuel tank users -in bed variety

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
Any issues?
My understanding is you put it in, plumb it and only fill the aux tank right?
I thought it was straight forward till I read some reviews on Northern Tool for the connector kit.
There were a few talking about fuel seeping out around the neck over flow etc.
Some said that the ball valve in the connector kit stuck and caused leaks.
Anything to this?
I assumed you hooked it up and only used the valve if you had to open your fuel cap for some reason.
Please enlighten me. I have a trip planned the week after Labor Day and I am thinking about putting one in.
2022 Cruiser RV MPG 3400BH
2022 Chevrolet 2500 HD 4x4
22 REPLIES 22

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, that would certainly work. And looks aren't really that important anyway.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can tell you all how to save some money on a tank and free up some dollars to fill it.
I have installed on 6 trucks salvaged tanks from combines. My favourite is the tank from the old conventional Gleaner combines. 70 imperial gallons they hold and the fill neck is just a hair below the box rail. I pick them up for around $100 in Canadian funny money.
The last install I did I modified the tank and moved the fill neck to the drivers end of the tank as originally they are at the centre.
I then cladded the tank with bright aluminum checker plate.
Looks cool. I'll try to post a picture.
Always install an inline filter.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
TimnJo wrote:
I can't find a link to the relevant legislation so you can take this as hearsay - my diesel mechanic who installed my auxiliary tank outlined his take on the rules:
You can have an auxiliary tank for either fuel type but the gasoline type cannot be plumbed in to the main filler tube with a roll-over valve the way you are allowed with diesel.

Just another opinion, if you call Transfer Flow, a large company in Chico Ca. of auxiliary diesel fuel tanks, they do NOT build auxilary "Gas" fuel tanks . The legal requirements to build a legally compliant is to cost prohibitive .
You need to contact Transfer Flow and tell them that then, because they show lots of gasoline auxiliary fuel tanks on their website. You might want to double check your information source.

Here's nine of them on one page: Gasoline tanks

These are REFUELING TANKS NOT REPLACEMENT TANKS. If that works for you then you are right.
We have been discussing "auxiliary fuel tanks", I don't believe anyone has mentioned "replacement tanks", in fact in your post you said: "they do NOT build auxilary "Gas" fuel tanks". I simply pointed out that they do indeed build auxiliary "Gas" fuel tanks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
TimnJo wrote:
I can't find a link to the relevant legislation so you can take this as hearsay - my diesel mechanic who installed my auxiliary tank outlined his take on the rules:
You can have an auxiliary tank for either fuel type but the gasoline type cannot be plumbed in to the main filler tube with a roll-over valve the way you are allowed with diesel.

I think your installer is correct. When i was researching several years ago i recall that gas has to be pumped out of the dip tube in the tank. When i first installed mine i had trouble with the gas siphoning through the pump. i then added a veton normally closed shut off valve between the pump and the main tank and all has been well. When i turn the pump on the shut off is also opened and she pumps away.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
TimnJo wrote:

Just another opinion, if you call Transfer Flow, a large company in Chico Ca. of auxiliary diesel fuel tanks, they do NOT build auxilary "Gas" fuel tanks . The legal requirements to build a legally compliant is to cost prohibitive .
You need to contact Transfer Flow and tell them that then, because they show lots of gasoline auxiliary fuel tanks on their website. You might want to double check your information source.

These are REFUELING TANKS NOT REPLACEMENT TANKS. If that works for you then you are right.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
TimnJo wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
TimnJo wrote:

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get auxiliary fuel tanks for gasoline as well as diesel fuel. Just not as easily found locally. Diesel auxiliary fuel tanks are much more common.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
Auxillary fuel tank-
IMHO, Unless you know 100% how to install the auxiliary fuel tank, have the tank installed by a shop. Gas leaking out of tank is too high of risk for my safety. A $1.00 saved could be very costly down the road!
Can't use them for gas, only diesel. Installation is pretty fool proof.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
For the newbies here you can't neglect the added weight of an external tank. It detracts from the payload so you have to have ample payload to put one in. Both gas and diesel weigh closely to 6 lbs./gal.

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
Installed this weekend, so far very happy.
It was weird, I put 10 gallons in to test it and no flow. I drove about 20 miles. Mid way stopped and changed the valve to what I thought would be closed, in case I was wrong.
No flow.
I got home and switched the valve back, went in figuring I would have to start troubleshooting later.
I went back out and believe it or not, the tank gauge was on E and the truck gauge had gone up.
I don't know if the valve just needed some back and forth action or what. I put 20 gallons in yesterday and it seemed to work well.
2022 Cruiser RV MPG 3400BH
2022 Chevrolet 2500 HD 4x4

cfd225
Explorer
Explorer
I have the RDS 40 gallon/tool box combo with the gravity feed. I love it when doing longer hauls. I do not have to worry about getting in and out of gas stations. Only issue i have had is if i run it open while the truck is full, it makes the check engine light come on. So when i get bellow half, i then open the valve.

This is my 3rd truck this has been in.
Jayco 2018 Seismic 4113
Chevy 3500 Diesel
Zena (Black Shepard), Tiller (Mastiff/Lab Mix)