cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

automatic transmission and a dodge cummins

srd357
Explorer
Explorer
Can anybody tell me how bad or good the automatic transmission is with the Dodge Cummins.

Thank you SRD357
25 REPLIES 25

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Mine had it when I first got the truck, it was repaired under warranty.

Musky50 wrote:
Could someone explain ''Shuttle Shift'' I just bought a 07 Ram , Cummins and haven't towed with it yet. Just trying to learn something here.

Date: May 24, 2007

Models: 2004 - 2007 (D1/DH/DR) Ram Truck (2500/3500)

Overview:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the governor pressure solenoid valve in the transmission valve body.

Symptom/Condition:
The customer may experience a 1-2 shift transmission hunt during light throttle application. This condition may be due to a governor pressure solenoid valve.

Diagnosis:
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts Required:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04617210 Valve, Governor Pressure Solenoid
4 05013457AA ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
AR 02464324AC Gasket, Transmission Oil Pon (Note: Original pan gasket is reusable and should not require replacement).

Repair Procedure:
1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable lift. Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position. Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.
2. Remove the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket. Clean and save the pan gasket for later use during reassembly.
3. Disengage the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve (Fig. 1).
4. Remove the screws used to secure the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer to the transmission valve body.
5. Remove the old governor pressure solenoid valve from the transmission valve body.
6. Clean the transmission housing and oil pan gasket surfaces.
7. Lubricate the o-rings on the new governor pressure solenoid valve.
8. Align the governor pressure solenoid valve to the bore in the valve body.
9. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve to the valve body.
10. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer and attaching screws to the valve body.
11. Connect the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve.
12. Install the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket (saved earlier) to the transmission. Tighten attaching bolts to 13.6 Nm (125 in. lbs.).

Fig. 1 Governor Solenoid And Pressure Sensor

1 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR
2 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID VALVE
3 - ELECTRONIC GOVERNOR
13. Lower vehicle.
14. Add automatic transmission fluid to the transmission.
15. Verify correct transmission fluid level.

Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Failure Code:
ZZ Service Action
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
Musky50 wrote:
Could someone explain ''Shuttle Shift'' I just bought a 07 Ram , Cummins and haven't towed with it yet. Just trying to learn something here.

The shuttle shift is a condition where you will reach a certain RPM where the trans would normally shift smoothly up to the next gear but instead you feel it shift up and back down then up again several times very quickly due to a loss in pressure control. NOTE that it is not a loss of pressure, just simply a pressure governor getting weak. This is almost always when you are light on the throttle. If you give it more throttle you usually won't notice. The governor pressure solenoid issue is the cause of the 1-2 shuttle shift, generally if you are getting a 2-3 shuttle shift a band adjustment is due. You can easily fix a shuttle shift yourself as it takes only a minute or two longer than a trans fluid change. While you are in there you can adjust the bands yourself or at least inspect to see if any adjustment is possible.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
srd357 wrote:
Thanks for all the info. I've been towing most of my life with a truck 4 speed and a 2 speed in front of that, gear splitting, 8 forward gears, all manual. For the last 4 years towing has been with an auto and I hate it. I'm considering, as my retirement truck, a new Dodge 3500 with a Cummins. It will more than likely be a 6 speed manual.

Thanks again SrD357

Ok so now buy it and be another happy camper. happy is good
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Musky50 wrote:

If you have this issue you need to change out the governor solenoids.

PS there is a TSB about this you might want to check out at your dealer.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
srd357 wrote:
Thanks for all the info. I've been towing most of my life with a truck 4 speed and a 2 speed in front of that, gear splitting, 8 forward gears, all manual. For the last 4 years towing has been with an auto and I hate it. I'm considering, as my retirement truck, a new Dodge 3500 with a Cummins. It will more than likely be a 6 speed manual.

Thanks again SrD357

You asked about the auto tranny's and stated you're looking at a "NEW" Dodge 3500 with Cummins...The 68RFE is a very good transmission and comes with 370HP and 800 ftlb of TQ, BUT, you can go "one notch" higher with the Aisin tranny (a more robust tranny), and get 385 HP and 850 ftlb of TQ...Both are very good. Don't know what you're going to tow, but the manual tranny in the Cummins powered trucks is de-rated lower than the automatics.

Truck in my sig is my retirement truck and I got tired of shifting gears some years back while towing, thus I like the automatic "for me", better than a manual.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Musky50 wrote:

Hmmm, thats a new one on me. Many ag tractors use a shuttle shift but I've never heard of a shuttle behind a Cummins in a Dodge truck.

Now my NV5600 6 speed manual is a sycronized tranny. That allows down shifting/up shifting through the gears while rolling.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Musky50
Explorer
Explorer

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
How good is the stock Dodge tranny cooler on the 2007 6.7L w/6 speed auto?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

srd357
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks again SrD357

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
Very good post Boogie except for a couple things. Mine has held well over 400 hp towing 18,000# for years but for the rest of the stuff, you are dead on. My shuttle shifts are from 1st-3rd. All you have to do is push the go pedal and no more shuttle shifts.

Don't get me wrong, a major factor is how you drive them! I've got the 2-3 shuttle shift. Replaced the gov press solenoid and sensor (with another stock unit :S) and that didn't help. I just add a little more throttle to it to overcome that issue as well.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:

See, here's the problem though...

If you are going to add the extra power to use all of it then you have to bullet proof the rest of it. I didn't add power for that reason, I added it to get the same power at a lower RPM. Because of this I gained fuel mileage and ease of pulling.

Don't get me wrong, a Mustang or two every now and then gets embarrassed but it is done running completely empty and no tow. LOL!

LOL I agree...

6 speeder manual user here.
I'd like the automatic, a new truck just won't be happening for a while.
Clutching is good for now till the knees start complaining.

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 is exactly right. If you add goodies to the engine to add power you better beef the trans. My engine is staying stock. Trans is getting close to needing some attention as there is no adjustment left in the front band. When I do it there will be an upgraded converter put in. Not for power but for longevity. These things make more than enough power to get you in plenty of trouble when they are stock. A friend has an 07 or 08 and has the 6 speed and factory EB which would be nice.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I have 153k on my stock truck with the 48re. Still doings it job and I am happy.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
All I know is:
Next door neighbor had a 2005 2500 CTD (used 98K) installed powerpuck lost auto trans in 2 months.
Next door neighbors dad had a 2007 2500 (new) stock except for the big exhaust trans done in 18 months.
Partner at work had a 2002 Cummins 2500 (used 67K) installed Edge controller trans gone in 8 months.

All these trucks with autos towed large 5th wheels and boats.

See, here's the problem though. People put the power in the trucks and then drive them like they stole them. They are putting them in their trucks for the wrong reasons. I drive my truck exactly like I did stock. the only difference is I don't have to run it as hard to get the same results. These trucks have way more power than needed to tow these RV's stock at a reasonable speed. The trick it to only use the same power as before you are just doing it at a lower rpm and a higher gear. The killer on the Dodge trans is heat. They won't lock the torque converter in any gear except OD unless you have the TH button on and then it will only lock it in drive and OD. When the torque converter is unlocked and slipping it creates enormous amounts of heat. The best trick is keeping it locked under hard pulls as much as possible. I can keep mine looked at 40 mph under a pretty hard pull. The added power I have gives me the ability to do this. On a side note, you can break the input shaft if not careful. I don't remember the last time I went over half throttle pulling a hill. Just no need in it.

If you are going to add the extra power to use all of it then you have to bullet proof the rest of it. I didn't add power for that reason, I added it to get the same power at a lower RPM. Because of this I gained fuel mileage and ease of pulling.

Don't get me wrong, a Mustang or two every now and then gets embarrassed but it is done running completely empty and no tow. LOL!
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.