cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attention CPAP users

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
This is NOT an advertisement !!! I am not the owner.

Found this on Craig's List this morning. If anyone is in need of a second machine for your RV this would be a super buy with only 90 hours on it. The sellers contact information is in the add. If you're in need, I'll go & check it out for you & even ship it to you (you pay shipping) or the seller might be willing to. Make payment arrangements' directly with the seller. PayPal may be an option, don't know.

PM me, if you want assistance.

Trying to do my Good Deed for the year & don't have much time left :B

Craigs List Link
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74
24 REPLIES 24

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
In '84 I was also nodding off while driving a commercial vehicle and my car. Also going to sleep at meetings and in church.( Humm,that may have been as we had a very boring preacher.) The doctor told me that I was self hypnotyzing myself while driving and that the reason I was snoring so bad was a soft palate and he could operate on it. BS. That was an ENT.. 15 years ago,I had another sleep test and had a 79 score and am on my third CPAP now and last test the other day, I had a 5.5 andsince the DOT has set a 5 score,I still have to use it since I have a class b CDL for school bus. I have to take the smart card in every year when I have my physical or they won't sign my card.
I have my old one in the MH and the other in the house and since I'm eligible for a new one,I'm gonna get one and sede if I can get the 12v plug for it too.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
terry thiessen wrote:
My wife just got her CPAP machine .we have 2 6 volt golf cart batteries will they run her machine through the night. We off grid camp most fm the time . Thanks

if you run the humidifier in pass over mode, not heated, the two batteries will run her machine for a few months?
bumpy

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Used one for over 15 years. Last spring I got a new one so the old one went in the RV as a back up in case I forget and don't put my normal one in (yup, it happens). I usually stick my current on in for each trip as its a bit quieter.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

terry_thiessen
Explorer
Explorer
My wife just got her CPAP machine .we have 2 6 volt golf cart batteries will they run her machine through the night. We off grid camp most fm the time . Thanks

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
sad i have one machine and hate the crap. having to hook up to a air line. but i sleep fine with out it....well really i do not sleep very well with out it..or even with it on. never have been a good sleeper.
between five pills a night, three inhalers nose sprays, and now this thing...what will the feds say i must do next week? (class A driver).

just glad this machine is free to me..for now.
and my house is on the pg&e listing as a medical device required so i get priotery service during a black out...maybe.

but for someone that wants a second machine looks like a good deal.

here is your new years eve bump.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
i have 2 and my wife has 2 we set our own or our daugther does its her job i have been useing one to close to 35 years and we bought our travel ones on craigslist

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Resperonics System One Auto. Got the 12v adapter cord from cpap.com. You will be asked for a copy of your prescription to purchase from most C-Pap product retailers. I e-mailed a copy to them.

When I had my sleep study and failed it the place that did it wanted to furnish the machine. I had been warned that would happen and I just politely asked for a copy of my prescription and I would take care of aquiring what I needed. No argument.

The 12v cord comes with a power plug (Cigarette Lighter)on it. I found a always hot 12v wire under the bed and connected a socket I installed on the side of our bed frame to it. I added a heated hose from cpap.com and spliced it into the power wire for the machine. No more rain out from the hose.

Jim
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I've been using a CPAP machine for 30 years. And I have two, incase one quits. But any CPAP machine has to be set for the proper air pressure, and that requires a sleep study. My experience has been that the folks who do the sleep studies keep that information close to the vest so that you have to order a new machine from them.
In my sleep study, they found out that I was waking up about 40 times a night. Not enough to really be conscious, but enough to keep me from ever entering REM sleep, when your body paralyzes so that your body gets real rest. Before my sleep study, I was one who used to nod off for a couple of seconds when behind the wheel and wake up in a different lane, or nod off when I was in a private meeting with my boss. He recognized the symptoms and forced me to see a doctor or lose my job. Saved my life and probably someone else's.

wow! You must have been the 1st ones to even be on a CPAP ๐Ÿ™‚

Colin Sullivan, M.B.B.S., Ph.D, FRACP โ€“ the inventor of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) โ€“ received the Sleep Innovator Award at the National Sleep Foundationโ€™s Annual Awards Dinner during National Sleep Awareness Weekยฎ 2009. We asked Professor Sullivan to share his thoughts about the past and future of CPAP.

The pivotal moment was a night in June 1980 when we first tested the idea that positive pressure, applied just through the nasal airway, could stop obstructive apnea. Although I had the idea several months previously, at that time we saw only very few patients, so we had to wait for an appropriate patient to do the experiments. The patient in whom the first test was done had very severe sleep apnea and had come under my care at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where I was a physician in the Respiratory Unit. He was so severe that I had recommended a tracheotomy as an urgent procedure. However, he and his family refused surgery, but he was happy to volunteer for the pressure experiment. We put together the breathing circuit in the afternoon, and then used plastic tubes and a rapid setting silicone sealant to provide access to the nasal airway. Within minutes of the full polysomnography (PSG) set-up, the patient had gone to sleep and developed repetitive severe sleep apnea. I gradually increased the air pressure in the circuit, and then suddenly the apnea stopped and normal breathing appeared. It was an incredible result. As we watched in amazement, the patient went into REM sleep. I quickly decided to repeat the experiment by dropping the pressure and the apnea recurred. I went through a series of cycles increasing the pressure and so literally โ€œturning offโ€ the apnea, and then dropping the pressure and โ€œturning onโ€ the apnea. There was no uncertainty or ambiguity. The method worked. The effect was so clear and repeatable, the next question to answer was would it work all night?
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
thats my machine!

(mine is over 5 years old though)

we tried 12v. It didn't work right. It worked for about 5 minutes, then would shut off. We had a 12v receptor by my bed.

we gave up and now have an onboard inverter in our motorhome that works just great ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
jauguston wrote:
Virtually ALL C-Pap machines run on 12v....

Except for all the ones that operate on 24vdc.

The medical supplier we went to only carries the brand that uses 24vdc. They had to get a machine from a different store for us because I insisted it operate on 12vdc.

It took a lot of discussion to educate them on why it was important to us.

Currently Resmed units are 24v and Respironics are 12v. Either can run directly from 12v with the appropriate adapter.

The Resmed adapter/converter is about $75 and the Respironics cord is about $25.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have two now also. I don't think I'm willing to part with my old one just yet. Told Dr yesterday I wish they had these around 50 years ago. best sleep I've had in years.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with The Texan. You should know at least what pressure yur cpap is set for. As far as adjustments, the how tos are not generally published, mainly because too many people are unable to understand, and could cause themselves injury or defeat the purpose of the CPAP. As far as I know, there are no laws preventing you from knowing this information, and if you feel the necessity, of adjusting your machine as you need. All the information you need is available on the internet. (if you know where to look).
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I've been using a CPAP machine for 30 years. And I have two, incase one quits. But any CPAP machine has to be set for the proper air pressure, and that requires a sleep study. My experience has been that the folks who do the sleep studies keep that information close to the vest so that you have to order a new machine from them.
In my sleep study, they found out that I was waking up about 40 times a night. Not enough to really be conscious, but enough to keep me from ever entering REM sleep, when your body paralyzes so that your body gets real rest. Before my sleep study, I was one who used to nod off for a couple of seconds when behind the wheel and wake up in a different lane, or nod off when I was in a private meeting with my boss. He recognized the symptoms and forced me to see a doctor or lose my job. Saved my life and probably someone else's.

Jim,

Most folks using a CPAP know what their pressure setting is. Mine is 8.

When I bought my last one, as a back-up from Craig's List, I set the pressure myself. Went online, got the information needed to access the Menu that providers use to make the settings & done. Didn't have to take it to anyone for adjustments. :B
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, if the sleep study did NOT release the study and a Rx to you after the study, they were in violation of federal law. You can NOT be forced to purchase from any one business and the Rx must contain the pressures and any other info the doc deemed important. Also, you should have a copy of the sleep study and Rx with you, so if you have problems any CPAP medical provider can assist you.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today