cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

As a Fulltimer, Where Can I Work on My RV?

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
I want to explore the idea of refitting my current RV and buying a new truck for it before I go and buy a new RV.

As a full timer, where do you work on your RV?

Iโ€™d like to do a good waxing/cleaning, put in 2 new windows, a ton of interior work including ripping out carpet and putting in new flooring as well as taking out a dinette and putting in some recliners.

Not huge stuff, but possibly more than a campground would permit.
17 REPLIES 17

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Just a few weeks ago, I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors on our toad at our site at a state park. I didn't ask anyone, just did it. As I was putting the last side together, a host pulled into my site. I wondered if I'd be in any trouble, but he was just curious and asked if I needed any help. He even offered to haul the old parts to the dumpster with his golf cart, saving me the trip...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
For washing and waxing, you could go to a self service car wash - the type with a covered space and a hose. It's made specifically for that purpose.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good thinking.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I would think disposing of the all the torn out stuff could be a challenge too.

Since he has a truck, he can just save it up and make a trip to the county landfill, around here it's $150/ton, but I've never hauled enough at one time to exceed the $25 minimum fee.

They say it's only open to county residents, but I've never been asked to show ID, even when my truck had out of state plates.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think disposing of the all the torn out stuff could be a challenge too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the extent of your work, you may need to take a long term hotel option like microtel for a month or a week. Then you could just work in their lot. Ditto with a cheap airbnb in a suburban area. For dry work that takes most of a day, and lot would work like truck stop, closed restaurant, our next to auto parts/ home improvement store. Have you looked at boondockerswelcome.com as another option.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Washing and waxing, there should be plenty of RV parks that allow that. Some places hit you with a minor fee, but some parks allow you to do it for free.

Interior work should be fine anywhere, you just have to make sure that you dispose your trash immediately and not store it outside.

Replacing windows? That has the potential to ruffle feathers. If you can arrange to have everything done in a single day (you already have replacement window and don't need to tarp your trailer, etc) then you can probably get away with it on the weekend.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Twice I have asked and was allowed to work on my rig. I replaced a brake line on my excursion when I pulled a TT and two years ago I replaced the alternator on our class A. The first time I was given a spot out of the way and was offered a ride for parts. It doesn't hurt to ask.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart parking lot?:B
You could rent a big rig storeage bay. No fun living inside it likely, but you could do whatever you want in there.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many rv parks allow that kind of thing though there may be a small fee (Like 5 or 10 bucks) for washing.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Find someone who has a private airplane hangar. Plenty of space to get around the RV, and not susceptible to weather changes. I have a friend in Gatlinburg that, even with his plane, a vintage Porsche, and a Segway in his hangar, there's still oceans of room. Just a thought.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Washing and waxing isn't usually a big issue (except in desert areas).

Interior work should be OK as long as the work doesn't flow out into the yard.

Exterior work is more likely to raise eyebrows from the owner.

Generally, they want to make sure you won't be stuck there and that it doesn't look trashy.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Another suggestion, if it is feasable, would be to utilize relatives driveways. Of course the other suggestions would work no matter where you are as a FT'r, but if near a relative, that might be handy for that type of thing.

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Good ideas. Thanks!