cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone repaired sway bar 'front' socket?

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Just got home with TT from the storage lot...Sway bar fell to the ground as I walked around inside the camper. (timing was excellent if you have to have that happen).

The socket on the front of it had cracked and pulled open.

My cheap, redneck side wants to weld the crack shut.

However, my fear of the RV.net safety police makes me wonder if I can purchase a pristine front socket, slice the old one off and weld on a new one. (This came off of the inner bar as opposed to the outer 'pads').

Please- let's limit the thoughtless regurgitation of "I'd just by a new one". Looking for discussion from those that may have actually had the repair made.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I believe you might be talking about a weight distribution bar, not a sway bar. The ball mount can be cracked if the shank of the ball is too long. Since it is a casting, it would be best to replace it and check for interference with the ball shank. If it is the sway bar that is faulty, Harbor Freight has them cheap.

So, I went to Harbor Freight and bought a new one...

I'm just not so sure I feel that much safer than welding the old one ๐Ÿ˜‰

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
Regardless of whether you replace it or weld it, I'm thinking you must have it way to tight for it to crack and pull open the socket.

Or reversed with it on in too tight of a turn. Get a new one, they're cheap.

Not really sure when it broke...been using it for 15 years with no issues- yeah, make an effort to not get too pinched or stretched when maneuvering in tight places...there was a hard right turn into the driveway that I've made about 30 times...don't think I was any tighter this time than any other...

Like most cracks, it appeared to start small and probably grew over a time period. As in my original post, it fell off at the perfect time! I could foresee some brief ugliness had I been moving- given that it was the front side that fell lose.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you might be talking about a weight distribution bar, not a sway bar. The ball mount can be cracked if the shank of the ball is too long. Since it is a casting, it would be best to replace it and check for interference with the ball shank. If it is the sway bar that is faulty, Harbor Freight has them cheap.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
You can fix it, sure... but it'll cost more than the $35 you'll pay for a new one.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
Regardless of whether you replace it or weld it, I'm thinking you must have it way to tight for it to crack and pull open the socket.

^^^^ This

When I had one, my original dealer told me to never back up with it on. He said, backup up (later I realized he meant turning-back-up), could put stress on the ball. He warned the ball could snap on the hitch, breaking the hole out, resulting in having to get a new hitch.

The weakest spot will go first under stress. The metal on that bar is much softer than the hitch and the ball. Makes sense the metal socket would rip out.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Pull ball mount...turn it over. If holes/sockets are really "egged" shaped you've got your money's worth, it's worn out. But another.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are using a friction sway bar, where one end attaches to the actual hitch on a very small ball, and the other end attaches to a ball on the trailer frame. If so... replace it. They are NOT THAT expensive. If you get a new one, you won't have to change either ball (on the trailer or the hitch).

If you lived closer to Indiana, I'd give you one I quit using when I got my Equal-i-zer WD hitch. It was a replacement on my previous camper when the arm that tightens the brake pads down literally, fell apart. I left the little balls on the hitch and trailer, so I also have those parts too. I've been trying to give it away for the last couple years.

Replace it. It's broken. Don't risk it!