cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another great trip, Quartzsite, Laughlin, Oatman, Vegas....

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just returned from a 9 day 1,000 mile winter adventure in our Nexus 24' C towing my Harley Super Glide. Drove to Quartzsite on Sunday and spent 2 days/nights enjoying a smaller crowd and coolest/windiest weather than we have seen in the last 6 years. It was kind of nice to able to wander the show with no crowds.

Tuesday we drove the 130 miles up to Laughlin where we took advantage of the Riverside RV park's 7 days {though we just stayed for 5}, for $139{+ junk fees}, nice facility with full hookups overlooking the Laughlin strip. Always wanted to visit Oatman and finally got there. Tuesday afternoon after setting up at the RRV Park we off loaded my Harley and took the 33 mile ride down through Bullhead city and east up to Oatman.

If you have not been you need to add Oatman to your short "got to go" list. This place is a hoot! The wild burro's wander through town by the dozen. Gentle and just too cute for words they only seek to be fed or petted. Take your toad {or motorcycle}, as there isn't any RV parking the road is very narrow and the burro's do have complete and total right of way.

Sometimes after you mooch some free food from the tourists you need to go back to mom out in the street for a drink to wash it down and then just take a nap.

Wednesday morning we were off to Vegas on the bike and it was cold, 40 degrees when we left at 9 but no wind. Made the 100 mile run to Vegas in 90 minutes and then spent another 20 just getting to our hotel {the Flamingo}, in the middle of the strip. We met my bride's sister and Bil along with our daughter to celebrate his birthday for two days and had a blast.

Here is a shot I took from our 17th floor room of the High Roller ferris wheel behind the Flamingo . It is 550' tall and takes 30 minutes to complete a single revolution:

Friday morning we were ready to head back to Laughlin but the weather threw as a serious curve... 32 degrees with 35 - 45 mph northerlies. Left at 8 hoping to get back to Laughlin before it got any worse and didn't make it. The first 80 miles weren't too bad as we were running down 95 dead down wind though the wind chill was 12 degrees.

When we turned east to get up and over the pass and back down Laughlin those northerlies were 90 degrees to our path. Slowed way down and managed to keep the bike in its lane as the gusts began to creep up and over 50. For the next 48+hours it howled 35 - 50 never even laying down at night. The coach was rocking like we were driving down a bad road.

We hunkered down and watched a few movies, read and ate too much. The 35,000 BTU furnace {thank you Nexus!}, got a workout but kept us toasty. Left Sunday morning and once we got up and over the pass heading towards Kingman the wind dropped down to 20 or less and the rest of ride to Mesa was uneventful. Spent the night with friends there and drove home Monday morning.

Had way too much fun and connected with friends and relatives everywhere we went. Had zero issues with the rig or the bike and can't wait to head out again.

:B
4 REPLIES 4

Robert_B
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent a week in that area. DW enjoyed Oatman. I'm more of a less people the better guy so checking out the petroglyphs near Laughlin was nice. If you have a dog, the dog park in Lake Havasu City is excellent.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmtandem wrote:
32 degrees with 35 - 45 mpg northerlies.

Excellent trip report. Interesting that the wind is rated in mpg instead of mph. Must be a southern Nevada thing.

You got me... darned fat fingers!

:B

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
32 degrees with 35 - 45 mpg northerlies.

Excellent trip report. Interesting that the wind is rated in mpg instead of mph. Must be a southern Nevada thing.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Nice pics of Oatman. Have been not too many years ago, but we should do it again. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, as it is nothing but a tourist stop, but fun especially for kids.

Will have to think about the RV at Riverside too. The hotel is nice, but we have not camped. Thanks for the info.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver