cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum Body and Lightening

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aluminum wiring was band many years ago because it can cause house fires when arching. This is what happened when lightening hit an aluminum body Ford pickup. :E

Clicky
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40
28 REPLIES 28

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Itโ€™s likely that wasnโ€™t a typical cloud to cloud, or cloud to ground lightning strike. Helicopter triggered lightning strikes are a studied but not well understood phenomenon. The part of the helicopter struck is almost always the main or tail rotor blades. As you are probably aware, helicopters acquire a strong negative charge when they fly through air because of static charging. Strong enough that if you were to touch a hovering helicopter while standing on the ground, you could be seriously hurt or killed. I suspect the โ€œstrikeโ€ you experienced was induced when the helicopter you were flying flew into a positively charged area around a storm cloud. It was probably of lower intensity than a typical cloud to cloud or cloud to ground lightning strike, but strong enough to cause the damage you found.

:):)

You're probably right about the lightning being a different beast but the bit about getting killed by the static shock is a bit of an exaggeration. Half the Helicopter Handlers in the British Army would be dead if that were the case. The Puma I flew generates a healthy jolt I'll admit but only about 1 1/2 to 2 times that of a regular cattle fence. That aircraft is 7000kg, (14000lbs), maximum all up weight.

I know people who have been hit by a Chinook and a Puma - at different times ๐Ÿ˜‰ - that say the Chinook, which has a max all up weight of over 30000lb, can throw you a few feet onto your behind but I have never heard of anyone being injured and with all the underslung load stuff Army Support Helicopters do in the British Forces, (and NATO), there would be examples.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
Many years ago in Belize a pilot and I were returning from tasking in the middle of the country in an RAF Puma helicopter. It was the rainy season and we found ourselves cornered by thunderstorms and in an area of the jungle where there were no landing sites so we pushed on through the weather. After landing I got out to do the After flight checks which included checking the rotor blades. There was a small "blister" about the size of a quarter on the underside of one of the blades so I got the ladder out to inspect it. There was an identical "blister" on the top side of the blade in the same place. I called over a senior tech and showed it to him. He immediately identified it as a lightning strike. Funny thing was neither the pilot nor myself had any idea it had happened...

Itโ€™s likely that wasnโ€™t a typical cloud to cloud, or cloud to ground lightning strike. Helicopter triggered lightning strikes are a studied but not well understood phenomenon. The part of the helicopter struck is almost always the main or tail rotor blades. As you are probably aware, helicopters acquire a strong negative charge when they fly through air because of static charging. Strong enough that if you were to touch a hovering helicopter while standing on the ground, you could be seriously hurt or killed. I suspect the โ€œstrikeโ€ you experienced was induced when the helicopter you were flying flew into a positively charged area around a storm cloud. It was probably of lower intensity than a typical cloud to cloud or cloud to ground lightning strike, but strong enough to cause the damage you found.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but, out of interest: (I'm a pilot)

What did the tech recommend as a repair?

A. Replace the blade
B. Repair the blade
C. Nothing
D. Other (please specify)

How was the blade fabricated? (material)

Thanks,

Chum lee

It was "many years ago" as I said - think mid 80's so my memory of the blade construction is gone but it was a composite, hollow blade and in many cases the techs placed Black Duct tape, (yes you read that right), along the leading edges to protect them from small debris damage when we were close to the ground. The techs did nothing as the basic integrity of the blade was intact and the blisters were only slightly raised from the surface. A "green line"* was written in the log book so future crews would be aware and check on it before and after flights as would the techs.

* A green line in the RAF is an entry in the logbook "faults" page that is highlighted in green. This means that it has the potential to affect operation of the aircraft but it is not likely. The pilot signs the log and part of what he is signing for is that he is aware of any green or red line entries and accepts them. We would often take airframes with as many as a dozen green lines and even the occasional red line though they were more likely to be fixed prior to the aircraft being designated serviceable.

Hope that helps

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
When my F53 V10 runs at highway speed and 2250 RPM, the "spark plugs" cause about 1125 lightning fires a minute. Fortunately, they are all contained within the combustion chambers.

Chum lee

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
So it is a shocker lighting can cause a fire? Must be a conspiracy about the forest fires started by lighting strikes.

Yes, but that lightning-caused forest fire was in a forest that previously looked like this: ๐Ÿ™‚

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
Many years ago in Belize a pilot and I were returning from tasking in the middle of the country in an RAF Puma helicopter. After landing I got out to do the after flight checks which included checking the rotor blades. There was a small "blister" about the size of a quarter on the underside of one of the blades. There was an identical "blister" on the top side of the blade in the same place. I called over a senior tech and showed it to him. He immediately identified it as a lightning strike. Funny thing was neither the pilot nor myself had any idea it had happened...

Not to hijack the thread, but, out of interest: (I'm a pilot)

What did the tech recommend as a repair?

A. Replace the blade
B. Repair the blade
C. Nothing
D. Other (please specify)

How was the blade fabricated? (material)

Thanks,

Chum lee

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Rover bill, you need another hobby.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rover_Bill wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

What does the truck being made of aluminum have to do with it being struck by lightning? Itโ€™s no more or or less conductive than any other metal used in automotive body construction.

The heat of the lightning strike starts the interior on fire instantly and it doesnโ€™t matter what metal itโ€™s behind, it all conducts heat the same.

Pictures from the recent California wild fires showed a lot of burned out steel body pickups and cars. None that I can remember showed any with a totally burned off roof or engine hood like in this one. Just sayin.

What's still more fascinating is to read some people comments ...... then read what brand of truck they drive.......

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
A gasoline fire burns at 1500F
Carbon steel melts at 2600-2800F
Aluminum alloy melts at 1200F

The conclusion drawn was the aluminum truck was destroyed because of electricity from lightning conducting through an aluminum body vs a steel body. Really???
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
Rover_Bill wrote:
Aluminum wiring was band many years ago because it can cause house fires when arching. This is what happened when lightening hit an aluminum body Ford pickup. :E

Clicky

FAKE NEWS

Lightning cannot start car fire aluminum or any other

https://youtu.be/olxaFBtCV4Q

It's not that black and white. Obviously convertibles or cars made of non-metal wouldn't have the "Faraday cage" effect. And any place wiring comes close to the metal body can be impacted, as well as the electronics (perhaps due to magnetic fields induced? Not sure)

click

pt2

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago in Belize a pilot and I were returning from tasking in the middle of the country in an RAF Puma helicopter. It was the rainy season and we found ourselves cornered by thunderstorms and in an area of the jungle where there were no landing sites so we pushed on through the weather. After landing I got out to do the After flight checks which included checking the rotor blades. There was a small "blister" about the size of a quarter on the underside of one of the blades so I got the ladder out to inspect it. There was an identical "blister" on the top side of the blade in the same place. I called over a senior tech and showed it to him. He immediately identified it as a lightning strike. Funny thing was neither the pilot nor myself had any idea it had happened...

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
X
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

What does the truck being made of aluminum have to do with it being struck by lightning? Itโ€™s no more or or less conductive than any other metal used in automotive body construction.

The heat of the lightning strike starts the interior on fire instantly and it doesnโ€™t matter what metal itโ€™s behind, it all conducts heat the same.

Pictures from the recent California wild fires showed a lot of burned out steel body pickups and cars. None that I can remember showed any with a totally burned off roof or engine hood like in this one. Just sayin.

This is absurd. Are you "just sayin" there was anything salvageable on the steel bodied vehicles? Are you "just sayin" that anyone trapped inside would be less dead in a steel bodied vehicle? What are you "just sayin"?

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:

Clicky

FAKE NEWS

Lightning cannot start car fire aluminum or any other

https://youtu.be/olxaFBtCV4Q