cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Shocks

DHamm20
Explorer
Explorer
Currently driving a Ram 1500 with Hemi. Has plenty of power to pull the camper but I am riding low. The truck is only used to pull the camper otherwise it is a third vehicle. What do you recommend for air shocks? Why? Thank you
24 REPLIES 24

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just cut a couple lengths of well casing and jam them in between the axle and frame. Tack in a couple of places with your $89 Harbor Freight welder. No more sagging.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
DHamm20 wrote:
What do you recommend for air shocks?

NONE. NOTHING. NADA.
Bob

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I put a set of air shocks on my 2011 Ram 1500. Works fine. I took out the old busted air bags a PO had installed. Don't worry about the shock mounts. They're only designed to counter act the weight of the truck through the shocks after all.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The shock mounts are not meant to support weight. Air shocks would be a mistake.

I would get a WDH set up properly, heavy duty coils and if needed air bags to provide just a bit more leveling.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

manley
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for air bags. Had Firestoneโ€™s on previous TV, and then went with Timbrens on this one. Hated them! Replaced with Air Lift, and couldnโ€™t be happier!
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I used Firestone airbags on my 2500. Worked great.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I wouldnโ€™t do air shocks though. You want quality shocks and more capacity and reliability than air shocks will provide.
Inside the springs air bags for light duty support or traditional airbags for the best support. Imo.
Timbrens are solid too but know the limitations I mentioned above.
You canโ€™t make them โ€œdisappear โ€œ like airbags.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pitch wrote:
Tuf truk coils. install and forget. No lines to leak no bags to pop

Heavy duty coils are a great option as well.
Ram 1500s are notoriously โ€œcomfortableโ€. The rest of the truck is pretty tough like any other truck.
AFAIK, same 9.25โ€ corporate rear axle ( the one part of the equation that isnโ€™t easily upgradeable, obviously) that has been in use for about 40 years. Easily capable of running at 4500lbs or so load perpetually, and not near its strength limit.
The rest of the truck save for the springs is good for basically 5klbs on the rear axle as well. Even the stock tires. Although LT tires are much nicer.
Aside from the other numerous Chrysler 9-1/4 axle trucks, one particular old Ram Charger we had, pulled a sizable tandem axle cargo trailer loaded with commercial mowers daily, for years. Dunno how heavy it was, but there was always 4-5 men in the cabin and enough 36-72โ€ commercial mowers and gear to keep them all working.
Your travel trailer wonโ€™t break it short of some real extenuating circumstances.

This explanation was not for the OP, but rather for the weight police!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
You want air bags, not air shocks. The shock mounts on a truck aren't designed to support weight.
I've had Airlift bags on 3 different trucks. They worked well and didn't develop any leaks in the bags. I had problems with the plumbing leaking but that's not really the bags' fault.

I have had them on two truck and developed the same for air leaks. I would still use them but first choice are Timbrens

Timbrens are also a good option, however more suited for trucks that carry a heavy load consistently or most of the time.
You can install them โ€œlowโ€ and they wonโ€™t engage until the truck is likely sagged more than youโ€™d like, but great for that occasional heavy load.
Or you can shim them up to engage sooner but sacrifice full suspension travel while traveling light or empty.
Sweet Lou, you must have just had bad luck with airbags as theyโ€™re quite reliable and durable.
That said, Timbrens or sumo springs are the 1 and done easy button.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
Air bags are simply added springs, of course you can carry more weight (payload} with them. Whether other components, such as tires, wheels and axles are up to the task is for you to research.

^This.
Thank you.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
Air bags level the truck. They do not increase the truckโ€™s payload.

Blah blah blah....

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
No mention of a weight distribution hitch here? Come on guys.
Come where?

This topic is about air shocks (or air bags probably) and NOT about a weight distribution hitch.
Bob

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Tuf truk coils. install and forget. No lines to leak no bags to pop

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I would start with WDH adjustment. $20 at a CAT scale. Restore all lost front axle weight. Then reevaluate how much the rear drops and any future steps.

3 Passes of 3 axle weights (truck front, truck rear, TT combined axles)
Truck without any trailer
Truck with trailer without WD
Truck with trailer with WD

You may need to get the last combo multiple times after adjustment.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)