cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ahhhhh...retirement

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
We needed to head down I-5 to help our son's family yesterday and witnessed first hand the on-slot of traffic going north at a snail's pace, trying to leave Seattle for Memorial Day weekend. So thankful to be retired. All the years of being one of those working stiffs trying to leave town sure makes a guy really appreciate it.

We returned from 9 night's out east of the Mts earlier this week, and we will head out next week after Memorial Day toward the coast. It's good to be able to to stay home on a major holiday like this and watch the traffic reports on the evening news rather than to experience it first hand.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!
30 REPLIES 30

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
(From the OP)

I started this thread May 28. Just checked and it's still going. My first thought is. "That's amazing," but maybe it is not. Most anyone responding to this thread is going to be retired with plenty of time on hand to read and respond to this stuff. Confirms for me that retirement is the best job I've ever had and wouldn't be surprised if many of you concur.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We were 'downsized' from our jobs in our early 50's. We knew we didn't want to sit at home so we took off full-timing - for 16 years. Never regretted a thing and no problem keeping busy. We volunteered quite often in national and state parks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
I just received my first retirement check. Yippee!!

I actually walked out of work on March 31st. A co- worker asked me how I was going to pay my bills for the first 4 months before I got my first check.

Told him that if I can't live for 4 months without pay, I have not planned for retirement.
2004 F350 6.0L 4x4 CC LB King Ranch, Scangauge II
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I was doing good retiring at 57, now I realize I was a slacker not retiring earlier as far as this group is concerned. To be fair I was prepared to retire at 55 but was having fun at the time at my job so I waited till the next buy out came along and let them give me a years salary to leave ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a plaque on my desk that says "Retirement Takes All the Meaning Out of Weakends"

eppersonwayne
Explorer
Explorer
it ben so long ago I cant remember when I think it was 1990 or91 god I love ret. hang in there boys its a coming

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhhh, Retirement........Rookie Rver :C here! After honorably serving 23 years in the Coast Guard I retired at age 43. It's been eleven and a half years now and I love and enjoy every minute of being retired.

Every so often I have to remind someone who says I'm too young to retire that I am "retired from work / professional career....I'm not retired from life".

When I get "the itch" I get into motor home (she stays ready to go - gased and stocked) and the hardest decision to make is what direction, either left turn or right turn do I make coming out of the driveway. A left turn I'm headed either west or south, and a right turn I'm headed either east or north.

Ahhhh, retirement......
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is. Have been busy. Should finish up the removal and re-caulk of the class C today. Some of it was looking a little warn out, so I replaced it all. Also, replaced all of the marker lights as they were looking bad.
2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it fun/cool to forget what day it is and have not much need for a clock?!

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
CarolynandBob wrote:
Just retired last week. I am 49. My wife will retire at the end of October. She is 52. We plan on full timing in January. We will keep out house here is San Diego until we find out if the the full time life style is for us.

Wow............
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

wilcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Best gig we've ever had! Wake up every morning with no where we have to go, and nothing we have to do, but we have all day to get there and get it done.

I retired 20 months ago, DW just retired (a second time) about 2 months ago. Our travel plans are now made up as we go. Reserved a site for 5 nights at a local SP over the July 4th weekend, spent lots of time watching a local American Legion baseball team win a huge tournament, and extended our stay another 4 nights just because we could. Living close by, we ran home to do laundry. Checked out from the SP CG and drove north to an 8-night vacation stay at Cedarlane RV Park near Port Clinton, OH and the Lake Erie Islands. Before leaving, the DW came up with the idea to stop off in Ohio's Amish country. Reservations were easily available at Evergreen RV Resort, in Mt. Eaton, OH. Learning that this oppressive "heat wave" was in store, we returned home to our S&B.

This is the part of "To have and to hold, from this day forward" that we've waited so long for. The great "icing on the cake" is the anticipation of the arrival of our first grandson over the Labor Day weekend. We'll be able to easily leave our local SP CG for that glorious "labor" day!
Wil, Tara, Keeko (Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix 9 yr.-old) and Kalee (Wire Hair Terrier/Blue Heeler mix 1 yr. old)
2018 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2702; 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi w/ 3.92 rear axle

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
Retired end of April and launched on June 29 for first "bucket list" trip to Alaska. Currently sitting in a campground near Denali National Park watching the rain knowing that I don't have a deadline to get back so I can wait for the rain to quit!

Only took us 15 days from ND to Alaska with some multiple day stops along the way.

AWESOME!
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I've been retired from school job for two years...I was just thinking today it won't be long before the staff has to go back to the in service pre classroom stuff. Surely don't miss any of it! Made me happy when I realized I won't have to go!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
Just retired last week. I am 49. My wife will retire at the end of October. She is 52. We plan on full timing in January. We will keep out house here is San Diego until we find out if the the full time life style is for us.
2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
Just remember: Every day is Saturday .

Except the day you have to put out the trash!