cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C that's ducted without a wall thermostat?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used 2009 trailer I'm rebuilding an found the A/C doesn't use a wall mounted thermostat. Controls on the unit and has ductwork. Never seen this before, commom?

Plan on replacing the unit with another 13,500 btu ducted with wall mounted thermostat.

I seen several lower price options such as Atwood, Advent, any I should avoid or that you would recomend?
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
I bought a used 2009 trailer I'm rebuilding an found the A/C doesn't use a wall mounted thermostat. Controls on the unit and has ductwork. Never seen this before, commom?

I would not say "Common" but. not unusual either. In fact there is one less than six feet from where I'm typing (It is a repalcement).

Before you "Upgrade" check to make sure wiring for the wall T_Stat is already in place because swapping a Wall mount type A/C for a "Local Control" is easy.. Just tape off the wires. but the reverse is a major job if the wires are not already there.

Oh works well. and since I'm 6'2" not a problem would be if I was 4'11".

IN fact. it works better for there is NO chance I can "Brush up against it".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AstroRig57
Explorer
Explorer
What brand is it? The old Carrier in our rig uses a wireless remote control via which you set the thermostat. Without that remote, you have just on and off controls on the unit.
2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a second a/c added to my trailer. I did not have a wall thermostat added. It is ducted and the reason is because I have 50 amp trailer and sometimes have to use only 30 amps. That way I can use either a/c I want , but I can only use one at a time. But can used the one in bedroom while I am in living room, or can use living room while I sleep. Works for me. The a/c that I added has the controls on the a/c itself and can be regulated that way, the other one has wall mounted thermostat.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
No wires going to A/C from thermostat. Replacing the roof and decking so not a issue to run new wires for a thermostat.

Just never seen this set up before of a ducted unit with ceiling controls.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Saw one like that on a new trailer yesterday. Just fooling around looking at You Tube video's for new trailers.

Obviously, I couldn't ask the obvious question. Since the ducted AC had controls on the AC unit itself, could it also be controlled by a thermostat on the wall, and if not, how hard would it be to convert to a thermostat on the wall?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch