cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Cover before snowbirding

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to search this but cover returns a million things.

So we live in SW NH and snowbird in FL but due to work, we can't leave until Dec 1st

We can get several snow storms before we depart and I wont dive with any snow on the roof (weight and illegal) So after each storm I like to clear the snow to keep it from compacting and freezing. This can become a lot of work with many storms and I worry I will damage the roof or roof fixtures.

I have tried "run the heat to 80 and it will melt" it doesn't here

I have an ADCO cover that came with the 5th wheel but I am nervous to put it on because I fear it might be impossible to get off. Possibly freeze to the roof. or become very stiff heavy.

Any thoughts
Jon

RV Web Site | 50 Night Cross Country Trip
Our Solar Install | Roof Replacement Project

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain

2010 Keystone Everest 348R
30 REPLIES 30

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PS, Iโ€™ll walk my 10/12 roof in the rain cleaning gutters 30โ€™ in the air but Iโ€™m smart enough to not walk on my rv roof, you know if it hypothetically gets covers with snow and iceโ€ฆ.or at least I think I would from what Iโ€™ve read on the internet.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cummins2014 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
jmanatee wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
The cover will just complicate the matter , getting the snow off the cover would probably be harder to do than the roof itself , plus the fact you most likely will ruin the cover . Iโ€™ve had the same issue here in Utah , I get right up there , and sweep it off with a heavy push broom . IMO just stay ahead of it .

Thanks for the info. I have always done it from the sides on a ladder, How slippery is the rubber in winter?

The rubber isnโ€™t any more slippery, but the snow and ice is the same as anywhere else you :)might walk on itโ€ฆ.
Iโ€™ll presume youโ€™ve never covered it before. A frozen rv cover will not come off easily especially with a buildup of snow and some freeze thaw/ice on it.
Not to mention how to deal with it once itโ€™s off and wet/frozen.
Since you said covered storage isnโ€™t an option, Either sweep the fresh snow off it a few times potentially like you said you already do, or put a plastic tarp over the roof. And find something else to worry about besides a little snow blowing/melting off the roof when you leave town.

Grit , apparently in your short life you havenโ€™t dealt much with snow being on the roof of an Rv . Get up there there sometime and deal with a bit of snow especially if left on there for awhile in the cold . You youngsters everything is simple . Iโ€™d invite you over , Iโ€™ll cover with a tarp , and let you deal with 6-12 inches of new snow , and you can pull the tarp off . I believe that was one of your great suggestions.

I believe it was my suggestion. But if have to tell you to pull most of the snow off first, I can see why youโ€™re having trouble keeping up.
Youโ€™re right though. Not much snow in Alaska them couple winters I didnโ€™t have a shop to store the camper in.
Hence my suggestion about the tarp. Snow sticks to a soft cover, doesnโ€™t to a tarp. And yes walking on snow on a greased cookie sheet (plastic tarp) is pretty much a non starter. But it sure slides off easily when youโ€™re standing next to the camper on a step ladder with a push broom. I mean, like, I thinkโ€ฆI watched a couple YouTube videosโ€ฆ.
If only I knew how to deal with snowโ€ฆ.Maybe when I grow up and get more than 20 something years in the upper Midwest, a good decade plus in the Rockies, same in the Cascades and a couple years on the N Slope of AK and Anchorage Iโ€™ll figure it outโ€ฆ.
Generally unlucky enough to be movin dirt or pouring concrete during the winter since it donโ€™t snow much in those places, lol.
I did spend a couple years in Phoenix thoughโ€ฆ.probably why my lack of experience is showingโ€ฆ.

I would rather walk on a snow covered RV roof, than snow covered tarp/cover on RV roof...

I DO NOT cover and never have... IF I will be going out soon, I make sure I go up with a bower and remove what I can.. ONLY if it is gonna melt-re freeze ect.... that **** is a pain to get off.

If I am not going anywhere soon, I let father sun take care of it
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
jmanatee wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
The cover will just complicate the matter , getting the snow off the cover would probably be harder to do than the roof itself , plus the fact you most likely will ruin the cover . Iโ€™ve had the same issue here in Utah , I get right up there , and sweep it off with a heavy push broom . IMO just stay ahead of it .

Thanks for the info. I have always done it from the sides on a ladder, How slippery is the rubber in winter?

As you can imagine , itโ€™s a bit slippery if youโ€™ve ever washed the roof you know . Iโ€™ve done it , and I definitely stay in the middle , and sweep off to both sides . IMO if no other alternative, and that to me would be covered storage . Iโ€™d be up there after every snowfall until I left , and not give it a chance to melt slightly, and get a layer of ice underneath.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
jmanatee wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

The rubber isnโ€™t any more slippery, but the snow and ice is the same as anywhere else you :)might walk on itโ€ฆ.
Iโ€™ll presume youโ€™ve never covered it before. A frozen rv cover will not come off easily especially with a buildup of snow and some freeze thaw/ice on it.
Since you said covered storage isnโ€™t an option, Either sweep the fresh snow off it a few times potentially like you said you already do, or put a plastic tarp over the roof. And find something else to worry about besides a little snow blowing/melting off the roof when you leave town.

Grit , apparently in your short life you havenโ€™t dealt much with snow being on the roof of an Rv . Get up there there sometime and deal with a bit of snow especially if left on there for awhile in the cold . You youngsters everything is simple . Iโ€™d invite you over , Iโ€™ll cover with a tarp , and let you deal with 6-12 inches of new snow , and you can pull the tarp off . I believe that was one of your great suggestions.

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
jmanatee wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

The rubber isnโ€™t any more slippery, but the snow and ice is the same as anywhere else you might walk on itโ€ฆ.

No I have never covered any of our campers, mostly because I have read all the horror stories from wind blowing tarps or covers.

you make a good point about the frozen cover.

I guess I will just keep cleaning it the way I have.
Jon

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jmanatee wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

The rubber isnโ€™t any more slippery, but the snow and ice is the same as anywhere else you might walk on itโ€ฆ.

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I vote for indoor storage for a month or so. We are fortunate to have a Carolina Carport that our camper sits under. I've left for Florida in the snow before and thanks to the carport didn't have any accumulation on the roof when we started.

That's probably where we will have to get to eventually but the cost are very high post covid.
Jon

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

Jon

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
Can you find indoor storage for a short time? Maybe a couple of beach balls under a cover so snow would slide off?

We are very rural here, We have looked for short term indoor storage within one hour travel time. Most are booked out or want you committed to the season.

We have plans to eventually build a Car/RV port...
Jon

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Thoughts? First world problems.
Solutions? Cover it, clear snow or go put it in covered storage for a month r 2 if itโ€™s that concerning.
Or strap a tarp over it you can just pull off and go.
Personally, barring a huge buildup of snow/ice, youโ€™re being finicky since the other 10 million trailers that hit the roads in the winter just let the snow blow off of them. Besides itโ€™ll all melt off in a day r 2.
Or quit looking at the Famers Almanacโ€ฆ

This is from experience in my area, The snow doesn't blow off or melt off.. I have to remove it as each storm occurs (a pain) or just before leaving (way worse). We often get several inches to feet before dec 1 so I would never try to drive with that much snow on the roof.
Jon

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it was me, I would strap a tarp over it like Grit Dog said. It would be easy to pull the snow off of the tarp with a push broom and then pull the tarp off the roof when you get ready to head south.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I vote for indoor storage for a month or so. We are fortunate to have a Carolina Carport that our camper sits under. I've left for Florida in the snow before and thanks to the carport didn't have any accumulation on the roof when we started.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Can you find indoor storage for a short time? Maybe a couple of beach balls under a cover so snow would slide off?