cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 f150 flat tow light kit?

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi I just bought a 2017 f150 4x4 can someone help with picking out the right light wire kit for flat towing.this truck has the push button start so my guess power will on in this mode? How do I keep from the battery going dead? I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
4 REPLIES 4

keefr
Explorer
Explorer
I have used one of these for several years. No messing around with vehicle wiring, just plug into the trailer socket and the light bar plugs into a power point in the toad. LEDs use minimal power, I have never had a battery drain problem. Just remember to put it inside at night.
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - George Carlin

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you follow the instructions, there will be no power drain unless you use an electrically operated brake system ( e.g. brake buddy or similar) Since you have a DP, I'd recommend a M&G brake kit. Proportional application, operates off the DP's air brakes ( no electric drain) and once installed, it takes only a few seconds to attach when hooking up the toad.
For lights, look on etrailer.... several kits to choose from. Here's one
hopkins tail light kit
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why the power will be on. Read the Ford manual section for recreational towing. But properly installed, the taillights are powered by the motorhome, not the truck. You donโ€™t say what break system you plan to use, but NSA makes one where no power is required at truck.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suggest checking on line videos including etrailer. I would put the truck in tow mode and measure the battery drain then estimate the additional aux brake drain. A charge line can keep the battery charged if needed. You might need additional equipment for the lights to work correctly.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob