cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 reese pro 16k questions

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question about whether I doing this right or not.

I'm talking about a brand new 2014 reese pro 16k fifth wheel hitch, non slider.

Dealer who seemed to have little knowledge on other things showed me to open pull the handle 'out' (opens jaws) then back truck up, engaging king pin, then close (push handle back in) to lock jaws around king pin. I've found pushing handle back in is often difficult or requires moving around before it works. It does eventually work that way but am wondering if I was shown incorrectly (instructions infer this is incorrect).

So I read the reese pro manual last night and it seems to indicate (step 4) that I should basically start with the handle pushed in (closed position) ... And that backing the truck into the jaws will open and close automatically (or should). See picture below:

I'm a bit nervous doing as the manual said, but am thinking dealer may have been wrong as it was a young teen showing me and didn't seem overly knowledgable .

Thanks, Scott
7 REPLIES 7

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!

Sundance07
Explorer
Explorer
I have this hitch. Dealership advice is wrong.....

Do what step #4 shows in the manual. Jaws closed before backing up into the pin. They will open to accept the pin and close around it.

Don't forget to flip the latch over (into the groove) when latched onto the pin.
2012 Ram 3500 4x4 CCLB/DRW Laramie, Cummins 6.7 HO, 68RFE, 4.10 Max Tow, Firestone Ride-Rite, 50 Gal Transfer Flow
2008 Citation Supreme Platinum XL 34.5 CKTS, GVW 15500, MorRyde, 4 wh disc brakes, -30C Polar Pkg

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, yes we use a padlock on the handle LATCH ... I like the design of that, because it kind of makes sure the handle is IN, or the latch won't meet the groove on the handle.

So far unhitching has been a breeze, but the hitching is sometimes hard to push the handle in ... so I'm thinking following the manual will make that part easy as well!!

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
We used to use a padlock thru the hole on the latch once we were hitched up as well. Too many stories about jokesters flipping the latch and pulling the handle when drivers stop for a break. It you have trouble unhitching this hitch just make sure that you back up a little prior to trying to unhitch to take the pressure of the jaws. For safety reasons, hitch will no t unhitch when there is pressure against the jaws. We really liked this hitch.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I really wanted to hear from someone who has used this specific hitch!

Yes, I have been coming in low as they told me to and as the Reese manual suggests. How low I'm still figuring out. One guy said for the nylon ring to just "kiss" the bottom of the reese plate ... so I know I've been running the king pin "up" the end of the ramp and into the hitch.

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the dealer gave you incorrect instructions. Follow the instructions on the hitch manual. Different Reese hitches work different ways. We had an Reese 16K Pro previously. We backed into it when it was closed as per the instructions and it worked beautifully. The handle will properly pop close by itself when you back into the hitch closed. It rotates the jaws open and then automatically closed. Just make sure that you have the latch forward before you back in otherwise the jaws cannot open, Just make sure that you are not coming in too high which causes high hitching. Once the jaws close on your pin then make sure you move the latch back and lock it. Also, pull test your hitch prior to leaving. We changed to a new Reese 22K hitch with an Elite hitch head when we upgraded our trailer. That hitch you have to open the jaw and then back in, so models do differ.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 18K Reese.
The problem that I finally figured out was that I had the hitch on the trailer was up to high as I was backing up to hitch up with the truck. The hitch on the trailer should be low enough to actually push the truck hitch slightly down. ๐Ÿ™‚