cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 FMCA Towing Guide

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking over the FMCA magazine with the new towing guide. Looks like Ford has really gone out. Almost every domestic Ford Auto Trans vehicle is towable. Even the F150. But I also noticed that GM has changed their towing recommendations for PU's. Still towable but you must disconnect the neg. battery cable. Not only is that a PIA but those with portable brake systems will not be able to use the cig. lighter plug! What will happen to your radio settings? I wonder why you have to remove a battery cable?

Moisheh
5 REPLIES 5

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
But I also noticed that GM has changed their towing recommendations for PU's. Still towable but you must disconnect the neg. battery cable. Not only is that a PIA but those with portable brake systems will not be able to use the cig. lighter plug! What will happen to your radio settings? I wonder why you have to remove a battery cable?

Moisheh

I was replying to the above - using my smart car as an example. With the extensive electronics in newer vehicles these days, not following the towing instructions can become very costly. In my case I copied the flat towing instructions right out of the owners manual, made a checklist and laminated it. I follow it to the letter because if I burn the engine and transmission then their replacement will cost more than the car.

I use a battery disconnect switch as instructed in my owners manual. Every time I tow the radio loses its settings. Maybe an aftermarket radio with permanent station memory would be better, but my solution is to always set the radio to AUX, plug my smart phone in and listen to my own commercial-free music. I don't bother with programming the radio anymore.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmArt: Did you reply to the wrong post. What does a smart car have to do with a 2014 Chev PU? Chevies tow with or without key in ignition and the ignition off. You can lock the doors as always. Keeping a 12 volt battery on the floor is ridiculous. You would need a battery case and the battery is one more item to play with. A heavy item. I use a USAgear Brake system and it is permanently installed.

Moisheh

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
from the smart car owners manual - wrote:
Failure to follow the recommendations for flat towing can cause damage to your vehicle:

>Not following the battery disconnect procedure in the proper sequence may result in data loss in the vehicleโ€™s control units.

>Not disconnecting the battery and not leaving the key in starter switch position 1 (ignition on) may result in

- the vehicle locking. The vehicle will lock if the wheels are turning at vehicle speeds of approximately 8 mph (14 km/h) or more.
- the ESPยฎ being activated. Active braking action through the ESPยฎ may seriously damage the brake system which is not covered by the smart Limited Warranty.

The above basically says that if the smart car's computer is awake and the car is moving, the computer could have a brain fart and engage systems. If you have the auto-door-look function enabled it will lock the doors (and you'll need a spare key). Also, the Electronic Stability Programยฎ could decide to lock up the brakes. There are reports of smart car owners unknowingly dragging their cars on the rims. Even I can't feel the car behind my Class C when I'm pulling it.

Another potential problem with the smart is the floor shifter. It is connected to the computer - not the transmission. With the battery disconnected, if the shift gets knocked out of Neutral then nothing happens. I have actually done this by accident when I entered the car at a rest area to retrieve something. I did not realize it until I arrived at the RV park and went to disconnect the car. A $15 battery disconnect switch saved me.

The smart car is an example where the car's electronics cannot be energized during flat towing. To power a supplemental braking system in such toads, one can put a second car battery on the front passenger-side floor or run separate 12V power from the MH to the toad to power the supplemental brakes.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I always plugged my brake system into a small jumper battery thingy that I wanted along anyhow. I also have a device that plugs into the cigarette lighter and takes a 9 volt battery that supposedly saves your settings when changing out your main battery.
if I had to disconnect the neg battery cable I would certainly buy a quick connect for it myself.
bumpy

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
moisheh wrote:
I was looking over the FMCA magazine with the new towing guide. Looks like Ford has really gone out. Almost every domestic Ford Auto Trans vehicle is towable. Even the F150. But I also noticed that GM has changed their towing recommendations for PU's. Still towable but you must disconnect the neg. battery cable. Not only is that a PIA but those with portable brake systems will not be able to use the cig. lighter plug! What will happen to your radio settings? I wonder why you have to remove a battery cable?

Moisheh

Maybe there is no ACC position, and you would kill the battery.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers