cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2003 silverado 2500

danly
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to tow 2018 35' coachman tt 7500# Hitch 9500 GVWR.. pu only has 65000 m. Pulled a 5er before but not a tt.
Dan and Twi
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 323BHDSCK
2003 SILVERADO HD 2500

"http://www.wunderground.com/US/MN/Minneapolis.html">
5 REPLIES 5

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I would replace the factory receiver with something better. First off that generation of receiver is known to have problems tearing apart especially when towing heavy.

Absolutely. The OEM receivers on that generation were complete junk. I had an '04 2500HD and replaced mine with a Curt Class V receiver. All porpoising and odd towing behavior disappeared with the new receiver. The fault of the OEM is it uses the bumper brackets to transfer weight and it all flexes a lot. That translates to very little actual weight transfer to the frame and front axle.

For your 7-way trailer plug you'll need to make some modifications. When I did mine I bought this Direct replacement 7-way receptacle and installed it in the bumper just to the left of the license plate. The '07 and later trucks had the receptacle in this same location and it works very well.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would replace the factory receiver with something better. First off that generation of receiver is known to have problems tearing apart especially when towing heavy. Second off it's a 14 year old truck, and if you live anywhere they use salt on the roads, or near the ocean, there's probably not much left of the receiver.

Other than that I would not have any reservations about towing that trailer with that truck, 2500 or 2500HD. Both have the same engine and transmission, and that's a good powerful small block.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Is your truck only a 2500 or is it a 2500HD?

If only a 2500 and you have the 3.73 axle you will be over your tow ratings, but probably still okay on GVWR depending on what all you have in the truck and what the tongue weight is.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a similar size TT with our Silverado HD2500 although it's a bit heavier being a toyhauler, and have very little issue doing so even here in the mountain west where we live and do most of our RVing. As long as you don't mind letting her rev up, she we'll get the job done. Obviously mpg isn't great but typical for most gassers, similar to your Chevy our Silverado has the same mileage as it is exclusively dedicated to towing our rig and just sits in the garage otherwise.

chiefcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't be a problem! I have a 32' behind me that I usually forget is there. Good WDH with some sway control and you should be good to go! BTW, my dry weight is 7400lbs, ready for camping it is about 8600lbs. Cargo capacity of the truck is 2853lbs so even with a tongue weight of about 1100lbs I'm well within limits.:)
2021 Jayco NorthPoint 382FLRB
2018 Ram 3500HD SRW 6.4L Hemi
2022 Ram 3500HD DRW Cummins HO, Max Tow (on order)