cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you wish you bought sooner?

TJames1974
Explorer
Explorer
First of all hello there newbie here. My wife and I are close to picking up our new Cougar 5th wheel and since I inherited my dads old truck that had everything needed to tow a 5th wheel the dealer gave us $400 to spend in the store at the dealership instead of a brake controller and hitch and the first visit is on the salemans discount pricing. So my question what have you found as being a wish you had bought sooner. I have heard a longer main power cord is a definite as the one that comes with the trailer might not always be long enough. I know TP and all that other stuff but what were the nice to have things that would be useful? Thanks in advance I have read a lot on here and hope to contribute some too.
2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel
2017 Cougar 32RLK Fifth Wheel
42 REPLIES 42

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Ford diesel in 2002. I wish I had bought one much sooner. All RVing has been better since buying one.

racecitypat
Explorer
Explorer
Always use a water filter, keep a clean, never-kink water hose, and expandable Rhino sewer hose, and wheel X-chocks.
2013 Keystone Sprinter 331 RLS... "the Hillbilly Hilton"
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC, 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
www.campingvacationnation.com

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to camp at Ontario provincial parks. I have needed a longer power cord almost every time.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox tru-center

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
SOLAR. Just one 100w panel means our battery is ready to go anytime we drive to storage to get it. If you are a DYIer, $400 will get you a nice little starter kit to install yourself.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kinda wish I had done all of the upgrades to the running gear onetime. The upgrading of the spring hanger areas, the wetbolts, the correct track system, the equaflex system.

All unseen stuff but reassuring to know it is there when you do 12 to 15K miles a year on the trailer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
Reflectix Insulation to cover the windows.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maceration pump , makes dumping a lot easier . We dry camp many many days in a year . We pump into our cleanout at home . We spend weeks in a cow pasture and the farmer , with his fence auger on his John Deere , will drill several holes so we can pump into his pasture , the cows do not mind .

Godsey97
Explorer
Explorer
Surge Protector, Maxx-Air vents and a 50A-30A pigtail.

Several times our surge protector has refused to allow the power at the pedestal to enter our rig and destroy all the electrical. Many places have a jack of all trades play electrician and then you have problems. Even if the pedestal is wired properly, it can surge if everyone's AC kicks on at the same time, etc.

We have had Maxx-Airs (or equivalent) on every rig we have owned. Love having the vents open in all weather conditions. NOTE: Spend a few extra bucks and get the ones that hinge so you can pull the pin and clean the top side of the screen otherwise you have to unbolt them every time.

As to the pigtail, we have often stopped for the night or wound up at CG's that do not offer 50A service, or didn't have a spot available. It was nice to be able to use the pigtail and plug into the 30A receptacle. If your rig is 30A (unlikely) having a 30A-50A allows you to use the 50A receptacle (which is often in better shape) than the 30A if the need arises.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Solar Panels! We dry camp on the beach and the generator is equal to packing food and bevs! Now second year with 428 watts and an invertor with 5 persons in the TT charging phones, laptops and making coffee with electric pot batts are full around 4 in the afternoon. No noise no work no effort. Ill be adding 2 more panels in the spring.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What do I wish I'd bought sooner (many years sooner) A Passport... Back when I got my daughter her passport 199something) it was easy, we drove up to the clerk's office, snagged a couple copies of her birth certificate, off to the photographer for an "official" photo and the post office, Forked over a small fee and it arrived shortly after.....

For me back then the only difference is I'd have had to send a check to California for the Birth Cert.. still simple and low cost.

Today.. Well you see, I'm half adopted, So I'm not allowed to know the name of my Bio-Father (never mind it's on my Marriage license) So I have to go to the court that handled the adoption and THEY (when they get a round tuit) contact California and then just like our current president, who is also half adopted, I get an "edited" copy of my Birth certificate. Took him 3 years to get his. (This is simply an observation folks, not a political statement.. So how long do you think it will take me? (I actually have no clue)... Then I go to the photographer and the post office just like Darling Daughter did but HOLY FEE BATMAN, the cost is several times what I paid for HER passport.

Wish I'd have gotten one with the price was right.

For the record.. The reason I brought up the President is that he is, according to many, the most powerful person in the world.. The rest put him at #2. and it took him 3 years.. I'm a mere citizen, A basic John F nobody.

And the laws, and price increase I referenced all predate the current president as well. That's all I have to say about it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I would not go to a non sewer hookup site without my portable waste tote. Get the Barkely with pneumatic tires.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
TJames1974 wrote:
So my question what have you found as being a wish you had bought sooner.

Absolutely wish I had purchased a Progressive Industries EMS w/Surge Protection much sooner than I did. I've now running a hard wire EMS-HW30C (10 pics) and it's disconnected power several times each season to protect our trailer's electrical system so I'd not now ever plug in while camping or when parked here at the house without it. Absolutely a wise investment for any RV owner camping on electric sites. :B

X2 that! DEF need a Progressive Electric Management system-- either 30A or 50 A..run about $260 on Amazon ( lifetime warranty) Mine paid me back numerous times this year by shutting off power that was too high voltage or too low and saving my electronics and appliances!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
For my 'C', I bought an extra potable water hose, extra 30A electric cable and an extra stinky slinky. I haven't had to use any of them often, but when you're a foot too short...
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.