cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waste tank emptying for beginner

OttawaDon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. I will be a first-time hybrid owner in the spring. Very neophyte question, but I've never even seen how to go about emptying the trailer waste tanks. For example, when you're at the dumping station at the campground, do you just hook up a sewer line equipped with a pump (supplied at campground) to the lines below your trailer and empty?

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to purchase additional supplies like lengths of piping and a pump? I've seen the kits where you can pump the waste into portable tanks, they look handy, but what exactly do I need? Thanks for your patience with a very new beginner.
43 REPLIES 43

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
OttawaDon wrote:
Hi folks. I will be a first-time hybrid owner in the spring. Very neophyte question, but I've never even seen how to go about emptying the trailer waste tanks. For example, when you're at the dumping station at the campground, do you just hook up a sewer line equipped with a pump (supplied at campground) to the lines below your trailer and empty?

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to purchase additional supplies like lengths of piping and a pump? I've seen the kits where you can pump the waste into portable tanks, they look handy, but what exactly do I need? Thanks for your patience with a very new beginner.

To bring the thread back on topic and because I'm curious about having folks review/critique what I've written. I put together a blog post about emptying RV tanks.

See if this is helpful:
Learn to RV - How to dump RV tanks

For the OP, this should be good to help you. For other experienced folks, I'm open to changes/suggestions!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been mentioned but do a "dry run" first. Put some water in the toilet and hook it up and see how it works. If you make any mistakes its best you do it with clean water.
Before you use the toilet, add water and then sit. You don't want a lot of solid matter going in as it has a tendency to stick and pile up.
Get a wand and clean it out every so often. There is one kind that you can attach the hose to the sewer iine and spray water up into the holding tank.
You don't have to buy RV toilet paper but use single ply that breaks down easily
First dump the black tank and then the gray water.

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:

we all gotta go sometime for some reason.
bumpy

That's just silly.

I assume you also don't wear your seat belt, don't have a CO detector, don't lock your door when you go to bed at night, and don't look both ways when pulling out onto a road, right?

I mean, we all gotta go sometime so why take any precautions?

Ever been to a hospital? Did you notice that the staff wears gloves, even when they are "only" going to be touching bodily fluids? They don't just wing it without gloves and then thoroughly wash their hands afterward.

Hey, do what you want, but to say there is no benefit at all to barrier protection is just foolish.

I don't wear gloves when I wipe my butt, nor when taking a pee, nore do I were them when "Doing IT" with the little woman, I never wore them when I was changing the kid's diapers.
a little antibacterial soap and a good scrub goes a long way

like plumbers always say,,, "s+++ flows downhill, payday is friday,, wash your hands before you eat"
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

That's just silly.

I assume you also don't wear your seat belt, don't have a CO detector, don't lock your door when you go to bed at night, and don't look both ways when pulling out onto a road, right?

Ever been to a hospital? Did you notice that the staff wears gloves, even when they are "only" going to be touching bodily fluids? They don't just wing it without gloves and then thoroughly wash their hands afterward.

Hey, do what you want, but to say there is no benefit at all to barrier protection is just foolish.

exactly where did I say that there is no benefit at all to barrier protection? please cut and paste cause if I did that would be an incorrect statement. what I said was that unless you are as clumsy as a bear on roller skates while you are emptying your tanks, with a certain degree of care you won't splash "stuff" all over yourself. now with a stinky slinky you will splash "stuff" on the ground and your shoes while getting it ready to store away but AFAIK they don't make "ground size" latex gloves. How many documented cases of hepatitis have there been of RVers who got it due to dumping without gloves on?
do you wear gloves while wiping your butt?
I guess I should have put a smiley face ๐Ÿ™‚ in my previous comment so the extra dense folks would see it was only semi serious.
bumpy

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

That's just silly.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
cdlaine wrote:
Mr. Bumpy,

Apologies for mis-stating your position. You may want
to consider adding a Hepatitis A vaccination to your
pre-travel loading plan. Good luck.

Charles

bumpy

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Bumpy,

Apologies for mis-stating your position. You may want
to consider adding a Hepatitis A vaccination to your
pre-travel loading plan. Good luck.

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a no glover and use the stinky slinky. The times that I've watched glovers- they're fooling themselves if they think they're any cleaner because of it with the amount of things they touch after the gloves are contaminated.

I wash thoroughly after I'm done and avoid touching the insides of the hoses/attachments.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
cdlaine wrote:
Don,

I purchased one of those clear plastic extensions that
screws on to the trailer end of poop chute...makes visualizing
when "we're done" with each step (black/grey) much easier...not
necessary but nice to have. Please ... wear protection...practice
safe dump. (I think the non-glovers were just kidding)...we also
keep a gallon of fresh water and liquid hand soap available for when
we're done... Hepatitis is bad juju.

Charles

I was a no glover and was not kidding. I think I used gloves on my first trip. then saw the light. but of course I "graduated" to a sewer solution and then a macerator pump so my chore was not as messy as with a stinky slinky.
bumpy

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Don,

I purchased one of those clear plastic extensions that
screws on to the trailer end of poop chute...makes visualizing
when "we're done" with each step (black/grey) much easier...not
necessary but nice to have. Please ... wear protection...practice
safe dump. (I think the non-glovers were just kidding)...we also
keep a gallon of fresh water and liquid hand soap available for when
we're done... Hepatitis is bad juju.

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
locster wrote:
azjeffh wrote:
If you NEED disposable gloves, you're dumping technique needs to be adjusted.

So touching piping containing fecal matter then touching door handles and faucet knobs on your RV afterward is a good idea? Your plumbing connection may be clean, but are you sure you know what is on the drain cap at the campground?

Don't wear gloves when I wash or wipe my butt either :B

I do however use a disinfectant wipe after dumping my holding tanks.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
those fittings are always clean on the outside since I give them a good lick after use.
bumpy

Laugh outloud funny! Thanks. ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜›

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
locster wrote:
azjeffh wrote:

So touching piping containing fecal matter then touching door handles and faucet knobs on your RV afterward is a good idea? Your plumbing connection may be clean, but are you sure you know what is on the drain cap at the campground?

those fittings are always clean on the outside since I give them a good lick after use.
bumpy

locster
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote: