cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Charger

Hudson54
Explorer
Explorer
What solar panel setup would be good to keep my battery charged?
There seems to be so many options out there that make it confusing.

I have a 17' Jayco Kiwi with one 12 volt deep cycle battery that doesn't get a lot of use so when it's sitting I'd like to keep it topped off.

Thanks for any info.
6 REPLIES 6

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you come back from camping with a low battery one of those 5w maintainers is not enough for a proper recharge.

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
You need very little in the way of output from a panel to keep the battery charged. Check out the ones designed for use on power boats to keep their batteries charged. They are easy to setup and durable and lightweight. Focus on amps and not Watts, same as with a battery trickle charger where 2 amps is plenty. Important that the controller is designed for use with your type of battery and for keeping the battery on a maintenance mode.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

80 watts is fine. You may wish to buy a controller that would allow for future expansion of the system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Drive out to Norco and pick up

80w panel $104

Controller $42

mount it to the roof away from shade items and you are all set.

Agree!

You could even start out by leaning the panel against the TT, on the ground. Mount the controller near the battery but not "with" the battery. In a protected, hopefully shaded spot.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive out to Norco and pick up

80w panel $104

Controller $42

mount it to the roof away from shade items and you are all set.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I sort of asked that just a little bit ago. I never knew there was so much to it. Many good folks on here with lots of experience. Here is that post that might help you. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28068980.cfm
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"