cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Site length and trailer?

Jlschuma
Explorer
Explorer
We just moved to a fifth wheel from our truck camper.

When a length is listed for a campsite is it just the length of the trailer or does it include the truck?

The fifth wheel is under 25' but if we add the truck we are close to 40' I don't want to get into a reservation and not be able to get in.

With our truck camper and pop up it was never a issue I thought about.

Thanks,
2000 Toyota Tundra
1990ish Shadow Cruiser pop up truck camper
12 REPLIES 12

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Generally, a CG that has FHU pull thru sites has longer spaces. But I call first to find out and make a reservation at that time, even if I'm going to be there the next day. I hate surprises.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
In Michigan it's only the size of your trailer. That's what it asked me for in Florida also. I believe most do not include your tow vehicle.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the campground. Up here, the Provincial Parks give it by total length (including tow vehicle) but the National Parks just use the trailer length. It can be confusing at times.

The biggest concern we have had is making the corner into some sites that say are for a shorter trailer. The last time we were out, we barely made it into the site, but once the trailer was set, we had room for four vehicles in front (2x2). The roads in that campground are narrow, but the sites are huge.

HGL
Explorer
Explorer
In Washington State Parks, they are only asking about the length of your trailer or RV.

In Oregon on the state parks, they are asking for the total length of both vehicles.

Hope this helps!

Jlschuma
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I appreciate all the input. I looked at Yellowstone and you can park next to the trailer there. A lot of forest campgrounds should be no problem as well. Now I just have to go practice backing up. It took me 12 tries to get into the driveway. It's a little different than a normal trailer.
2000 Toyota Tundra
1990ish Shadow Cruiser pop up truck camper

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
OR when you call to make that reservation, you could ask.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
A 25 ft 5ver is about as short of one that is around. It should fit in almost all state and federal sites with no problems. I would not worry.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the places I go, public campgrounds with back in sites, the site length is the length of the site. They are not thinking about what you are going to put into it, as there are all kinds of combinations of RVs, cars, trucks, boat trailers. Some people won't even be coming with a RV, but may need to park two cars and a boat trailer in the site where they put up their tents.

So if you come with a 25 foot towable, and take a 25 foot site, you can expect that what you used to tow it may not fit. One of the situations I often find is that the shorter parking sites are wide enough for two vehicles, particularly toward the entrance.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
After just coming back from a 90 day road trip with our FW, we confirmed with multiple RV parks that it is the just length of the FW they are concerned about, and not the truck. They assume you will unhook if the site is too short to accomodate the combined length.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends but is normally the length of the camping unit. Your truck in worst case scenarios can be parked somewhere else.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is that most campgrounds state the length as the longest trailer or motor home that will fit - they assume that you will disconnect the tow vehicle and park it elsewhere on the site. The only exception I have seen is pull through sites were the overall length is sometimes stated ....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
My guess would be that when they say 25', they mean the trailer, as my truck is about 18' long which would mean there is only 7' left for the trailer. Now I know some trailers are short, but not that short. Also the only thing that would happen if I'm wrong is that the truck would need to sit on the side or in the overflow.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work