cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV LENGTH

ckary72
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to RV's and don't own one yet. I read somewhere that a lot of campgrounds don't allow RV's longer than 30'

Is there any truth to this?
28 REPLIES 28

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ckary72 wrote:
I'm new to RV's and don't own one yet. I read somewhere that a lot of campgrounds don't allow RV's longer than 30'

Is there any truth to this?

No
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Much of the time they don't have a clue how long the sites are or what will fit.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Also, when reserving if they ask the length, give the full length from hitch to bike rack in the back if you have one.
I got caught once with the bike rack hanging out the back, no more.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
PopBeavers wrote:

The OP and myself life in the San Francisco Bay Area. Normally from May until Halloween there will be no rain storms. Just drizzle for an hour or two in the afternoon around 3.

California State Parks RV Length Restrictions

Welcome to the Forum.

Although I live in the southern part of the state I like to travel and stay in our many state parks,I know about the length Restrictions noted above, and have for many years,that is why when I want shopping for my next RV,and ended up with a Former Rental I chose one that would fit them and my needs.

I have never been holed up inside more than one day because of inclement weather,and I camp year round and have for many many years. That is one thing great about living and camping here in California.

I also go to private parks where length is no problem. It all depends on what type and style of camping you want to do.

Then get a RV that will suit your needs.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good point, Lynnmor. I want...have...a rig that can go almost anywhere too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Opinions do vary a lot. Depending how you want to use the RV, there may be many times that a smaller unit is desirable. Personally, I want the smallest unit that will do the job comfortably, because I like to travel. Hardly a day goes by that folks here arenโ€™t asking about roads that they are afraid to use.

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
the bear II wrote:
When deciding on the size I always use this measurement...if we are stuck inside the RV for several days due to inclement weather would I be more comfortable in a 25ft or 38ft RV. 364 square feet vs. 250 square feet provides much more room to get away from others when cabin fever begins to kick in.

The OP and myself life in the San Francisco Bay Area. Normally from May until Halloween there will be no rain storms. Just drizzle for an hour or two in the afternoon around 3.

California State Parks RV Length Restrictions
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good points, ppine. While the Bear II believes in larger RVs, I donโ€™t. I believe in slides making a smaller RV large at the CG. And Iโ€™m a walker in the rain having adequate rain gear.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Opinions vary a lot. In the West, boondock camping is fun, so I like trailers less than about 25 feet. The old FS campgrounds sometimes will not fit big trailers.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet is to get the largest RV you can afford that fits your needs now and at least 5 years into the future. Like others have replied you will be able to find a site in or near most tourist/sight seeing destinations.

We travel in a 38ft 5th wheel and have always been able to find a place to stay wherever we have visited.

When deciding on the size I always use this measurement...if we are stuck inside the RV for several days due to inclement weather would I be more comfortable in a 25ft or 38ft RV. 364 square feet vs. 250 square feet provides much more room to get away from others when cabin fever begins to kick in.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
ckary, review this regarding our state parks. https://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s not that theyโ€™re not allowed itโ€™s that some places donโ€™t always have sites available that are long enough. Older state and federal parks, usually west coast, may not have many longer sites or none at all as RVโ€™s have gotten much larger since the parks were built.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
No... There are campgrounds/parks, often older private or state parks, that do have fairly short length limits, but they're definitely in the minority. Many parks may have length restrictions on specific sites, but rarely on all of them. On the other hand, those of us with with 45' Class A's towing a 24' enclosed trailer may find our options more limited than those of us with the more common 30'-40' rigs towing a car.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some of the older campgrounds and state and forestry parks in certain areas that can't handle bigger rigs, but there are usually some private parks that can. Depends on what type of camping you want to do. We are in a 36' and about 48' overall with our trailer and motorcycles and we always find a place. Of course if the description says 25' or less we don't even try there.