Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about rental RV

yjc
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

I'm planning a trip with a rental RV - had been thinking about it for a while, but I don't know anything about RV. The trip will be about 1 week, camping at 3 locations, each place 2 nights.

When I search for RV rentals (Class C most likely), to my surprise, there doesn't seem to be that many options. I'm looking for rental in Austin, TX, what are good reputable places to rent? Is this the right forum to ask questions about rental?

If so, for a 1st time renter, is it better to rental from commercial companies, or RV-Share sites? Not sure if the commercial rental is better in terms of roadside assistance, and insurance?

We have 6 adults and two 13 year olds, I checked cruise-america, their largest sleep 7. Are there commercial rentals that sleeps 8?
(we will also drive a minivan or mid-size SUV on this trip, so only one driver and one co-driver will be in the RV on the road)

thanks,

Jason
21 REPLIES 21

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
OP says he wants to use this to "try out" RV'ing.
Pretty sure that if there's a next time, there'll be fewer co-conspirators!

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Use the RV to tow a small trailer. No way are you going to cram that many adults into a single RV for any extended time.
A huge toyhauler has more sleeping capacity than any Class A.
Many RV parks and campgrounds limit each site to one camping unit. I would suggest finding parks that also have camping cabins and rent a cabin to put half the people in each night. The extra money spent will be much less than the hospital bills after someone snaps and goes on a murderous rampage from having 8 people in a space that starts to get crowded with 4. Eight people can travel in reasonable comfort in a single RV, but no way can they sleep and bathe in one in anything other than in a living nightmare.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Before you do this trip, you might try to get hold of my favorite RV movie ever, "Rolling Family."

video trailer

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the RV to tow a small trailer. No way are you going to cram that many adults into a single RV for any extended time.
A huge toyhauler has more sleeping capacity than any Class A.

yjc
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Eight people sharing one teeny tiny bathroom should be the highlight of the trip :C

point well taken 🙂

an opportunity to educate the kids not everybody in the world has their own bathroom 🙂

yjc
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
The Class C units they rent technically may sleep 6-8 but no way will it be even remotely comfortable.
- 2 people will have to climb up and sleep in the overhead...which typically has weight limits.
- 2 people will be in the converted dinnet which is usually on 5.5ft long so they need to be short.
- 2 people will have to cling to each other to fit on the sofa.
- 2 people will be hated for having the comfortable main bed.

For 8 people, either get 2 units or are some willing to tent it?

Thanks for the detailed information! I understand it won't be comfortable, but it will only be for a week, if I can find a RV that sleeps 8. I'm finding out if tent camping next to the RV is allowed.

yjc
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
We rented 3 times before purchase to make sure that we like it, we did. 🙂

The first rental was a class C, 31 ft. one slide, then a 38 ft. class A diesel with three slides and finally a 38 ft. class A diesel with four slides. (renting is not cheap!).

During the second rental, friends rented a 37 ft. class A gas. We all went to Sedona, AZ, from CA. Had the best time as we all had our own sleeping quarters.

Back to your rental....... the kids could sleep in sleeping bags, no need to try and find a unit that can sleep 8. Depending on the SUV/Van, the kids could camp in that for the night, I'm sure they would love their own space.

To me, it seems a large class C would work as the adults would have their private spaces, two in the bedroom and two in the loft and maybe two on the fold-out sofa.

Have you thought about renting two class C's? That way, everybody would have their own sleeping quarters. You could leave the SUV/Van at home if you were not going be touring during the day and just enjoying camping at your three travels stops.

Anyway, whatever you decide you will have a blast even though it will be crowded. 🙂

Safe travels,
MM.

Thanks for sharing! I've always thought I will try RV once my youngest finish highschool 🙂 this will be my first time to try it. I've read some warnings about challenges of RVing.

We will be touring the park, where some roads are not suitable for RVs, that's why we decide to try one RV, and one SUV/Van.

looking at the floor plan of the largest RV that sleeps 7 offered by cruise-america, it doesn't look like there is enough floor space for the 8th person. it sounds that a tent is more feasible.

yjc
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Eight is a lot of people for most RVs to accommodate comfortably. My class C in theory could sleep eight, but two on the jackknife sofa would be very tight unless they were young children (and even one on it is impractical if they're on the tall side). Even with that, it would be crowded for socializing, eating, etc.; the table can't fit more than four reasonably.

I'd suggest maybe having a tent or two for a few of the people. Some campgrounds might not permit eight persons on one site (though many will), and having the tent would also permit you to easily spread over two adjacent sites in such cases--and indeed even when not strictly needed.

thanks for the suggestion! I'll check with the RV parks to see if they allow tent camping at the same location.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Class C units they rent technically may sleep 6-8 but no way will it be even remotely comfortable.
- 2 people will have to climb up and sleep in the overhead...which typically has weight limits.
- 2 people will be in the converted dinnet which is usually on 5.5ft long so they need to be short.
- 2 people will have to cling to each other to fit on the sofa.
- 2 people will be hated for having the comfortable main bed.

For 8 people, either get 2 units or are some willing to tent it?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We rented 3 times before purchase to make sure that we like it, we did. 🙂

The first rental was a class C, 31 ft. one slide, then a 38 ft. class A diesel with three slides and finally a 38 ft. class A diesel with four slides. (renting is not cheap!).

During the second rental, friends rented a 37 ft. class A gas. We all went to Sedona, AZ, from CA. Had the best time as we all had our own sleeping quarters.

Back to your rental....... the kids could sleep in sleeping bags, no need to try and find a unit that can sleep 8. Depending on the SUV/Van, the kids could camp in that for the night, I'm sure they would love their own space.

To me, it seems a large class C would work as the adults would have their private spaces, two in the bedroom and two in the loft and maybe two on the fold-out sofa.

Have you thought about renting two class C's? That way, everybody would have their own sleeping quarters. You could leave the SUV/Van at home if you were not going be touring during the day and just enjoying camping at your three travels stops.

Anyway, whatever you decide you will have a blast even though it will be crowded. 🙂

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Eight people sharing one teeny tiny bathroom should be the highlight of the trip :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Eight is a lot of people for most RVs to accommodate comfortably. My class C in theory could sleep eight, but two on the jackknife sofa would be very tight unless they were young children (and even one on it is impractical if they're on the tall side). Even with that, it would be crowded for socializing, eating, etc.; the table can't fit more than four reasonably.

I'd suggest maybe having a tent or two for a few of the people. Some campgrounds might not permit eight persons on one site (though many will), and having the tent would also permit you to easily spread over two adjacent sites in such cases--and indeed even when not strictly needed.

yjc
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
I assume you mean Motorhome when you say RV. Towables are RVs also, if your van was capable of towing there are trailers that sleep that many. as they are designed more toward family
Its possible that if you did find a suitable trailer for rent, that the rental co, owner, or a tow company would relocate it for you at a equal or lesser eventual cost than a Motorhome.
Towables rent for far less than motorized and have all the features.
Another issue to consider is many places have limitations on occupancy, so you might be required to rent 2 sites to accommodate all your group, so maybe a small trailer for sleeping the one family behind the van, a MH for the others. More mobility, no crowd, double the facility.

thanks for your reply, looks like I need to edit the op with more details - the "van" is going to be a minivan or suv, don't think it has towing power for a big trailer.

I didn't know there is that "relocate" option. but the trip is about just a week, and camping at 3 locations, so that may not be practical.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What time are drinks offered, Ron?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad