cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pressure washer use on the side of Class A

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral Ford Chassis and V-10 motor. Trying to get the unit clean is it OK to use a pressure washer on the side panels if I stay away from the seams?

Thanks
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral
14 REPLIES 14

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I wouldn't use red max/zep. do a search.
bumpy

I friend did his HR. Loves it.

ask if he still loves it when it yellows and he has to scour the old off. that stuff is for floors and there is a big difference in using a floor buffer to apply/shine it and on the vertical side of a RV. as said I wouldn't use ZEP/red max myself as there are many other more appropriate products. as I recall, folks here have said that it needs three coats/applications which is 3 times the work. It was a fad when home depot/lowes was clearing it out at $5.00 for a 55 gallon drum or some such and I bought a bottle myself. after reading threads here on it,I did not use it myself other than applying a small amount to dull areas when I was getting it ready to sell. let the new owner mess with removing it.
bumpy

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

I friend did his HR. Loves it.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
one of the nozzles I have for my PW is very "gentle", as is the soap spraying one.
bumpy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The big danger with pressure washers is blowing past the seals in windows, doors and slide outs.

So make sure you blast in such a way you do not, and as someone said, keep at least 12" away, use due care and caution, I've done it several times.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
Ended up using a car wash soap and regular hose. Now I will wax it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
How dirty is your HR?
If it's oxidized, consider the Zep/Red Max Pro Process. It does a great job.

If you don't like the idea of floor was on your rig, after the prep work, use the car wax of your choice.

It did a nice job on our 96 Southwind.

I don't use a pressure washer on the Southwind.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing works as well as a bucket of soapy water & a soft brush. Use automotive soap or boat soap. Dishwashing liquids strip any wax that may be on it.

Pressure washers are good for getting chunky bits off & wheels but to avoid damage to decals the wand has to be held a distance from the surface, effectively greatly reducing pressure on the surface.

After washing with the brush a pressure washer, at a safe distance, is great for the rinse off. For the blow dry, use a leaf blower. Don't want to exert oneself too much by using a chamois to dry you know.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Using a pressure washer is normally discouraged. Dishwashing liquid and a water hose with nozzle will do fine. Be careful, too much pressure can damage your trailer.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
sempka wrote:
Just bought a 2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral Ford Chassis and V-10 motor. Trying to get the unit clean is it OK to use a pressure washer on the side panels if I stay away from the seams?

Thanks

You don't say how much psi your washer has....I have a 2500 psi and its turned down to 1800 and I used do my rubber roof with it with no damage; BUT...I use a 40 degree nozzle and it doesn't come with 2 feet of any surface including decals. I haven't use it on RV for probably 3 years. Water and a nozzle from hose does just as good if not better than pressure washer IMO.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
double post

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'll be careful.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember, the finish on an RV is not like a car or truck.
I will use the pressure washer on ours, but more for rinsing, I use a long handle car wash brush and rinse with the pressure washer, keeping the high pressure spray well away from the surface and even further from any seams, openings and decals.
Generally I just use the garden hose and bucket , using any car wash soap.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Never get within 12" of the surface, should be OK, If you get too close the pressure will find a scratch and start blowing the paint off. ----- jellcoat, no problems
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.