Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oven will not ignite

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings campers,
I'm having a problem with my propane Magic Chef oven. The pilot lights fine but when I turn oven temp up it only makes the pilot flame a bit higher. Cleaned with small wire brush but no better. Just used oven 3 days before problem and worked fine. Manual does not help regarding this problem
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
15 REPLIES 15

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mr. C wrote:
30yr old stove? Maybe it's time to replace it...

the one in my camper is 31 years old and works like new. age has nothing to do with it in simple sstems as long as there mintained
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
30yr old stove? Maybe it's time to replace it...
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to find where to get parts. Stove pre 1996 magic Chef Cooktop and range. Then try to figure out what the suspect part is.
Thanks for help and suggestions

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
smthbros wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
When you turn the oven on and to a temperature, the pilot flame increases, then it will warm up the thermocouple, when the thermocouple comes up to temp, it will open the main gas valve to the burner. The time it will take depends on temperature the thermocouple starts at and altitude you are at. The thermocouple is a non electric device that is filled with freon, when heated it will build pressure and press on a button in the main gas valve.

A thermocouple is an electrical device. What you have described is a vapor bulb.

You are correct Smthbros.. I used to think it was a vapor tube. It's not. it's a Thermocouple Generates a bit of current/voltage (about .480 volts and however much current the solenoid latching coil sucks at that voltage don't ask I've never measured).

The valve in the control valve is a magnetic latching normally closed valve. You push the button and the valve opens (or whatever you need to do to light) Light up and hold the button till the thermocouple is up to temp, voltage and current. then the current flowing "Latches" the valve open.. The magnet is not strong enough to open the valve as that takes many many times more 'Strength" than to hold it once manually opened.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
When you turn the oven on and to a temperature, the pilot flame increases, then it will warm up the thermocouple, when the thermocouple comes up to temp, it will open the main gas valve to the burner. The time it will take depends on temperature the thermocouple starts at and altitude you are at. The thermocouple is a non electric device that is filled with freon, when heated it will build pressure and press on a button in the main gas valve.

A thermocouple is an electrical device. What you have described is a vapor bulb.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said it makes the pilot a bit bigger.. not sure it should do that. (not sure it should not)
Two suspects are the gas jet.. not sure where that is but look for the air admittance windows (usually two rectangles where the large burner pipe connects to something OTHER than the burner. The jet is in the smaller part A bone drill is suggested for cleaning (If you can unscrew it do so) Bone drills at welding supply.

And the control valve (that's an OUCH part).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your fuel line may be blocked up. Is your lighting and the burner flames adjusting normally?

It could be a faulty thermocouple (if you have one - not all magic chef ovens do).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for input. Did all of above. No change. Theres only one screw to the right of oven knob on my unit that controls pilot only.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you check the gas line behind the oven to make sure it's not kinked?

And did you adjust the screws next to the oven dial?

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Took what I could apart. Cleaned and inspected. Reassembled with same results. Pilot lights, turn up oven and pilot light puts out a 3 inch flame with no ignition. Solenoid? Any guesses because I'm getting no help from Magic Chef and no schematic in manual.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a few things it could be. First, it could be clogged up. To fix, take apart the burner assembly and clean it. Second, check to make sure the gas line behind the stove isn't kinked. Third, there is a small screw next to (might be covered by) the oven dial. That adjusts the pilot light. To the right of the dial should be a second screw - that adjusts the broiler burner.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Following in case this happens to us.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
nickthehunter wrote:
Try cleaning the flame proofer. Itโ€™s the small metal rod that sticks out into the pilot light flame.

The thermocouple? That only uses milliamps to keep the solenoid open to allow gas flow. If the pilot stays lit, the thermocouple would not be the problem.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS