cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our first rv/motorhome and so many questions!!

sonbeau
Explorer
Explorer
My husband is a seat of the pants type guy but I am very anxious about our first long trip in our new motorhome. There is so much I feel that I don't know about the workings of our coach. I keep reading that running the fridge on propane while driving is a no no but can the refer be run off the inverter while traveling? We have a 12 cu ft Norcold and a 1000 watt pure sine inverter. If not, what can you do instead of the propane? Also, we have a Magnum AGS stand alone system with a 5500 gas Onan generator. I think I understand how the AGS is supposed to work and have set the limit at 10.5 volts, but when we enable it, even though we know the batteries are at full charge, the generator comes right on and doesn't shut off. These are my 2 main concerns at this moment and will appreciate any insight from those with more experience.
33 ft Jayco class A
Sheba, lab mix and Annie, golden mix
21 REPLIES 21

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
In an accident, the excess flow device will stop any leak, and even puncturing the tank will not cause an explosion. LPG refrigerators are designed for use while driving; there is no reason to not use them as designed. You have a much greater risk of fire from the fuel (gasoline) system on your MH than from the LPG system. In fact, you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than you do of having a fire in your RV because of running the fridge on LPG while driving.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I run my frig on propane when not on shore power. I also run my generator to provide AC in hot weather. My gen and furnace in cold weather my dash air and heat is basically useless.

There are some tunnels and such you must turn off propane prior to entering, they are marked.

Get a 12v crock pot and put your meal in it each day before driving it will be ready when you stop for the night.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
sonbeau wrote:
My husband is a seat of the pants type guy but I am very anxious about our first long trip in our new motorhome. There is so much I feel that I don't know about the workings of our coach.

You know most of us were born knowing all about RVing. :B

I keep reading that running the fridge on propane while driving is a no no but can the refer be run off the inverter while traveling?

You should shut it off for fueling and you will have to have the propane shut off at the tank for many tunnels and some other places. Many have been known to blow out while driving, but with most newer (last 20 years) this is not an issue.

We have a 12 cu ft Norcold and a 1000 watt pure sine inverter. If not, what can you do instead of the propane?

Yes, you can, but you have to monitor the house battery to be sure that the isolator is working properly and the charge is being maintained/

Also, we have a Magnum AGS stand alone system with a 5500 gas Onan generator. I think I understand how the AGS is supposed to work and have set the limit at 10.5 volts, but when we enable it, even though we know the batteries are at full charge, the generator comes right on and doesn't shut off. These are my 2 main concerns at this moment and will appreciate any insight from those with more experience.

There are at least two things wrong with the AGS.
The auto-start voltage should be way higher than that. At 10.5 a lead -acid battery has been damaged beyond recovery. That should be set way closer to 12.0 volts.
If the AGS trips when you have a fully charged house bank, it is defective. Get it repaired or find out what its voltage sensing issue really is.

Regardless of what has been written above, reefer fires are not that uncommon. This is one of the reasons that RV insurance is so high. The fires are almost always related to the lack of maintenance of the burner system. It can be just carbon accumulation (often blamed) but it is very often the result of nesting material deposited in the burner assembly by critters. Mice and birds can do this in a day, and either can get in through the tiniest of holes.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It takes a lot of electrical power to keep up with the small propane flame that runs an RV refrigerator. If you switch to electric and forget to switch back to flame, you will quickly drain your batteries. Plan on replacing them. Running down the batteries can reduce capacity and will greatly reduce life expectancy.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We are fulltiming, going on 14 years. I set our fridge on Auto and never worry about it. When hooked up to power or on the gennie, she's working off electric. Once we unlug and that power is no longer available, she switches over to gas. Easy peasy.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Does your auto gen start also have an option based upon the temperature? Ours has an option where the generator will start if
1 - the batteries are below a level we set
2 - the temperature is higher than we set
3 - the temperature is lower than we set.

2 & 3 were our primary for getting the auto gen start when we had pets. We wanted to be sure in case of a power loss in an rv park that the AC would start up to protect the pets. Maybe there is something similar on yours.

Ours also has a quiet time option where you can designate a range of time where the generator will not come on. That may apply to your situation because if you have the quiet time set to on, then the auto gen start will sometimes kick on ahead of those quiet hours to "prefill" the batteries.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have two firemen in my neighborhood. Both long time Captains, one retired.
I asked them about fridge fires. In their many decades of combined service, neither of them had EVER seen an RV fire caused by a fridge. Not even one.
They had seen lots of them burn because by engine fires though.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
not every one runs the frig on propane while traveling. the rv Dr and rv education guys say no do not travel with it on. it only takes one moment of forgetfulness and leave it running while getting fuel and blow up half the country side. and it does happen. I fought fires for 30 years and in those 30 years I fought many rv's with the frig going. our town has a nice new gas station from one motor home fire. a truck company CEO build a nice rv and he burned down on his maiden trip. it's your choice, just don't let your insurance lapse

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I turn it on to auto when I de-winterize and leave it that way the entire season. It's designed and both UL and CSA approved to be used on the road.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The two schools of thought and a 3rd option

The AEON insurance school, which by the way I attended. (It is offered at many FMCA rallies)

Turn it off because in an accident there is a teeny tiney chance of a propane fueled fire. Ok, I will admit that is a danger... BUT

The other school.. The danger is not that great and if a propane line is breached there is an excess flow device that will limit or cut off propane flow.

My Theory
The biggest propane danger is what is called a Fridge Fire.. I check my mirrors often and if it catches fire .. I'm bailing fast and grabbing 25 pounds of powder on the way out.. (yup I have that) or a can of foam or both.

But imagine this.. I'm on my way to said FMCA rally.. Fridge fire on teh freeway.> The guy behind me in the multi million Prevost honks and hollers as he passes ON THE OTHER SIDE.. I look, pull off, My rig is history,, His, undamaged.

Ok, version 2

I turn off propane. Get to the rally and am parked next to said Multi-Million dollar Prevost.> Same fire.. by the time the FD gets there his, mine and likely one or two more are toast. I think my insurance agent would rather that did NOT happen.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sonbeau
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone!. This makes me feel so much better about the propane. Now I can relax and enjoy.
33 ft Jayco class A
Sheba, lab mix and Annie, golden mix

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Wasnt going to mention our marathon trip from Portland to Lansing,MI in 70 hours. DW and I swapped driving about every two hours non stop.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Welcome.
Almost everyone runs the refer on gas while traveling. They actually work better that way. Heck my wife has been known to actually cook while we were going down the road. Not really advisable in this day of politically correct but were old school. How the other stuff works? No clue. Our fiver is old enough that we have to do stuff manually.

I have fond memories of my mom cooking breakfast and lunch on the road going down I-95 on our annual trips from NJ to FLorida in our Winnebago. My dad and uncle would take turns driving. Without stopping. Not that I'd advise that either but it was fun to watch the switch.

Like most people, I run the fridge on propane while on the road. It runs better (colder) on propane. If it's hot outside and I'm running the genny for the A/C I'll put the fridge on electric but I mostly keep it on propane.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:

I donโ€™t think most people run the fridge and propane all of the time, I think they do while traveling but why wouldnโ€™t you use electric at a campground

Many of us dry camp and don't have electrical hookups to plug into.
I camped in California state parks for 20 years and never had any hookups available.

To the OP, I have no idea where you got your info but the vast majority of RVers travel with the fridge on propane.

But now more and more have residential fridges that run on INverters.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes