cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nearly impossible to get Class C Chassis serviced?

Iautox
Explorer
Explorer
New to forum, but not RVing. Have owned popup, hybrids, travel trailers, and pickup campers. Have been without an RV for 8 years, but been delivering new Class C rental units from the factory to various rental locations for 8 years to get our RV fix. Decided to buy a class C so we could do short trips, pull a trailer with a motorcycle in it, and go when delivery season was over. So I found a 2001 Four Winds 28 foot Class C on a 2000 Chev Express G 3500 chassis. A legit 41K miles and in good shape with new tires. Super dusty inside and faded on the outside, but everything worked except for the furnace blower motor. Rides nicer and is quieter than the new Fords we have been delivering.

I'm mechanical to some extent and do all the simple maintainence on my vehicles, oil changes, other fluids, sparkplugs, brakes, etc.

However after the first time out a fuel line has started to leak and it appears to be coming from where the lines disappear under the tank cover and head to the in tank fuel pump. The tank butts up against a frame cross member so I think it needs to be dropped to see what is going on. Only leaks when pressurized. At any rate something I'd not like to do on a crush asphalt driveway or really at all.

Called dozens of auto shops and no one will do a Class C because they can't fit it in or lift it. Many shops referred me to a large GMC light, medium and heavy duty dealership that does service RVs. Unforturnately they won't work on RVs older than 15 years. All local RV dealers I called will only work on the house side. Finally found two shops about 45 minutes away in opposite directions that will work on Class Cs. Unfortunately the first appointments are June 16th, and July 11th. Doesn't do me much good for a trip next week. I'm in the Denver, Colorado metro area.

My questions is: Is my experience common? What happens if I break down several states away and I can't do the repairs?

I bought it at a good price and once this gas line issue if fixed it will be good to go. If serving is this hard to find then I just want to admit to myself I made a mistake and sell it this summer before something else breaks.

I'd consider a TT again except I wanted to pull a trailer for my motorcycle and can't do that with a TT unless I get a toyhauler, but then I need something bigger to haul that and with the lack of new trucks/SUVs and run up in used prices it is crazy to buy something now. So back to flying places or taking the motorcycle all the way. Still can get in a rental delivery or two though.
17 REPLIES 17

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Try Best Auto and Motorhome. 303-422-7304. Talk to Jack. We had a decent experience there about 4 years ago. Yes, it is very hard to find a good shop for older RV's. Expect problems at any shop you find and try to plan ahead. I wind up doing a lot of mechanical work myself. After having to drop my gas tank 4 times I replaced all the fuel lines and went with an external fuel pump. One of the better decisions that I have made.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome! Your issue has been discussed before and there isnโ€™t a good answer IMO other than keep calling independent shops andโ€ฆerโ€ฆbegging.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I found a small independent shop that was willing to put it on ramps in their parking area to do the work. But it was pretty minor work, they didn't have to drop the tank.

"Unfortunately they won't work on RVs older than 15 years"

I can understand why they do that -- it's hard to say what they're going to find when they start working, they may tell you that it's going to be $300 to drop the tank and fix the line, then they find out that the tank straps are rusted, so they have to cut them off and replace them, that's another $300, then they find the leak in the fitting that goes into the tank, but it's rusted in place too, and they risk ruining the tank, which would be another $500 to replace (assuming they can even find one).

So now your $300 repair is over $1000, and they have to tow your RV out of their garage while they wait for parts. Someone with a 20+ year old RV may not want to pay that much, meanwhile they've left their bay occupied for a day while they work on it, which means a commercial truck (who *will* pay for a $1000 repair to get his truck back on the road) is waiting