cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse Dilema - What would you do?

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We recently discovered evidence of a mouse being in our RV. We have cleaned up and set 2 traps baited with peanut butter. In 4 days, there has been no new evidence and we have not caught anything.
Now the problem - we will not have access to our RV for 2 weeks. I am wondering if it would be best to leave the traps set or not. If we do catch a mouse and it is dead in the trap for several days, is it going to decompose and stink up the rv interior especially if the weather warms up. Alternative, if we do not leave the traps set, we risk damage from chewing, etc.
What would you do ? ? ?
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)
20 REPLIES 20

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I had mice in mine once. I sprinkled parmasian cheese on the traps and I
caught three in one night. I will be putting moth balls on top of the coroplast to try to prevent them to begin with. I hope it doesn’t stink me out too.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have only had an RV for a couple of years. In past springs bringing my RV out of storage I have found evidence of mice - little poops on the bed or near the kitchen. This fall I read about using Irish Springs soap. So I cut a bar into 4 pieces and placed them around the RV. No traces of mice and the RV smells nice. As I am preparing for our first camp trip next week, I don't have to go through and clean everything like I did the past 2 years.

Additionally, I do know of a couple places that mice can get in such as the holes under my batteries. I stuffed these with steel wool to keep any critters out.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
After snap trapping the current residents, Try “Rodent Defense”. You can find it on the internet.

I have used it for two years and the critters do not come up into the power cord compartment. The engine compartment has been clean also with the spray.

My current rig is very well sealed were pipes go through the floor.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
maddog348 wrote:
Would not like to lockup my CAT in camper for 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well there it depends on the cat.. As I said I used to have two. Amber, a basic "Tabby" who was born in the wild but at about oh 7 weeks (per the vet) wandered into my life and soon (hours) found that magic dish that keeps filling with nice tasty cat food. and the one beside it full of clean water instead of that nasty puddle stuff, and a nice soft bed to sleep in .. Well she still liked to go walk about from time to time but.. Give the choice of returning to the wild and staying there.. We'd find her sitting at the base of the steps wanting back in when we opened the door.

Alex. the big maine coon.. Chosen in part because my wife wanted another Maine Coon (our prior cat was one) and partly because Amber was a VERY aggressive female and I figured the larger and a few months older Tom stood a better chance than a smaller one..

Well if I leave the door open he'll be on the TOP step looking like "What'd you leave the door open for.. I'm NOT LEAVING.

Oh and he's been "locked up" in this motor home for like a decade. But from day one that was his attitude. I don't want to go outside, IT is scary out there. They have barking things. (IF a dog attacked him I'd feel sorry for the dog.. but hey.. HE HAS CLAWS and knows how to use 'em).

Now some cats.. yes. "locked up" would be a good term
But Alex.. Well he feels safe in here. He really does not like going out at all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure when you said you had not caught a mouse or seen evidence of a visit when you set the traps if that meant they might have grazed the peanut butter without springing the trap.
You may already have done this but a trap out of the package will not catch a mouse unless they get on the thing and jump up and down. You have to take some small needle nose pliers and slightly bend the catch until you barely can get the latch arm to hold. Make it really sensitive to touch and you will not have a mice problem.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
While in storage over the winter we use cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil strategically placed. Never have a mouse problem, but do have to air out unit for a day or two in the spring.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I have a camper and a park model trailer. I always leave traps set in them when I am away. Be careful with traps outside. You need to make sure they don't hurt other wildlife or someones pet. If you do set traps outside do not put bait in them it will only attract other wild life.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes, set traps outside if your nit going to be around or make a mouse high dive.
Also try to figure out where they're getting in. Maybe not so easy with a big trailer, but fwiw, I thought our camper was mouse proof, no holes, but we seemed to get regular hitch hikers in the woods and a couple when it was stored in the shop. It was the power cord. They were climbing it and getting in the little hole in the door. A piece of tape over the hole cured it.
Just one suggestion....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Floors have lots of openings in them for plumbing, wiring, etc. under cabinets, shower bases, dinette seats, etc. Take a can of spray foam and seal up the openings. Mice can get through holes the size of a dime so you don't want to miss anything in the floor. That hopefully should prevent mice from getting inside.

I don't think I'd use a poison inside because if one does die inside, you don't want the smell of a decomposing carcase(s).

I sealed up all the openings in our floor. Last summer I had to take down part of the underbelly coroplast after the toilet overflowed. Found a mouse skeleton in there. The coroplast is another place where they can get in.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tripalot wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
When I got my RV.. First trip out I installed 2 each CAT... Have seen no evidence of mice. Insects yes (I mean it's 14 year old) but no mice.. Down to one cat (on uninstalled itself.. That is. Died) but the other still purrs niely. Mice seem to avoid him. He's a Maine Coon. about 30 pounds worth (normal for his breed)... I keep him well fed but he'd love a mouse flavored snack or 3 if only they would come play with him.. Seems they think his play would make of them mouse pate though so they go far. so as not to be served tartar.

We too used to have a Maine Coon - no mice problem with him around but unfortunately he has passed away.

Not a cat person, really, at all....until our current mouse disposer. We'd "adopted" a few cats, living out in the country in different areas and they always disappeared, died, got the boot. Moved to WA and the wife and kids adopted a stray kitten. Turned out to be a pure bread Maine coon.
That cat is awesome! He's a rodent annihilating machine. It appears he keeps up about 15 acres of rodent control according to our 2 neighbors. He's as friendly as a cat can be. Loves to be outside 90% of the time but is well behaved indoors. And he acts more like a dog than one of our dogs! Great cats and I'll get another one when he's done.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
I needed to use a mouse trap once, long time ago. Went to bait it, but didn't have any cheese. A magazine I was reading had an advertisement for a cheese product, with a nice picture of a piece of cheese. I cut that out and baited the trap with it. IT WORKED !!! I caught a picture of a mouse.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If feasible, use Havahart traps or some other type of live-trap system. Supply ample food and water then dispatch them humanely when you get back.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Set your snap traps on the outside of the coach. The mice are climbing something to get in. Wire tie your traps to whatever they may be climbing. Set some on the tires when parked. Or maybe on the leaf springs. This keeps the dead smell outside.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
the smell will go away , the damage could be great. I,d go for a little clean up.put lots of traps out. and go buy some peppermint oil and a box of fresh cab ,we have no mice.