cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving outside camper lights on?

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
First time for us this weekend does anyone leave any of the outside camper lights on when they go to sleep
69 REPLIES 69

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We camp and host, we have a nice set of lights at the edge of the awning. These are set on a timer to turn off at 10:00 pm. We also have several solar low light pathway lights to allow campers to see well enough if they need to come well after quiet hours.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
Depends. On my last camping trip I had no need for a porch light because my neighbor next to me kept his street side flood light on all night. Felt like camping next to the restroom. I will have to admit that he was in a brand new trailer and probably wanted to show it off.

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
We have a small portable fence around our door for when dogs need to potty late at night. We put small amount of decorative LED lights on the fence and on a TIMER. So they are not on all night.
We use these lights so we do not step on a snake, wild animal or whatever, and can see our little dogs at night when we are out there with them. Never had a complaint and had many many compliments on our lights.
We also enjoy sitting outside at night when lights are on. Our lights automaticity go off at bedtime.
We also put bleach water mixture on our gravel yard when needed to keep it clean. Of course we always pick up.

Lightening bugs do not live in our area.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Just read a great reason to shut those lights off. Lightning bugs do not like light. If you want to see their display at night, shut your lights off and you will be more likely to be visited by the little twinkling insects.

...and just the opposite, all other bugs will love the lights. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just read a great reason to shut those lights off. Lightning bugs do not like light. If you want to see their display at night, shut your lights off and you will be more likely to be visited by the little twinkling insects.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Never 2 late wrote:
...On the other hand if I were camping and everyone had their lights on I would certainly look for another camp site immediately the next morning. ...
Now I know how to open up campsites around me so I have more room.

Never_2_late
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote:
jarata1 wrote:
First time for us this weekend does anyone leave any of the outside camper lights on when they go to sleep

No No No please do not leave the lights on at night! Had a neighbor RV'er leave his flood lights on and their lights just shine right through everyone's blinds, felt nice I was taking a nap during the day instead of sleeping during the night.

If you are camping and the absolute ONLY lights on are yours, then take a hint. On the other hand if I were camping and everyone had their lights on I would certainly look for another camp site immediately the next morning.

Like some others suggested keep a flash light handy for needing to go outside at night or turn it on till you return just remember to turn it off upon return.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
We only have the orange lens light by the door. We leave it on at night until the last person is in for the night (usually me). Then the door is locked, and light switched off.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Just left mine on by accident this last weekend. walked out of the camper in the morning and noticed it on. I think most of them are left on accidentally.

Yes it happens. But after years with a trailer you get to know which switch is which. I watched one woman with a trailer they obviously had for a while, she must have flipped several switches on and off trying to find he proper one. She must have left half of them on and one of them was the street side work light. Lit up our site like a city street.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Just left mine on by accident this last weekend. walked out of the camper in the morning and noticed it on. I think most of them are left on accidentally.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BadBeans
Explorer
Explorer
No, I do not purposely leave my exterior lights on at night unless I'm outside using them. I beleive it to be rude to other campers.

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
I've never understood leaving outside lights on all night. For the short trip to the bathroom, sure. Just to light up the campground & your surroundings? Not my style.
Dave

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Left my porch light on all night by accident once... went to the bathroom around 3am and noticed camper next door had light on, must be early riser, no worries. Woke at up a 5am and went to put coffee on and realized that the light I saw next door at 3am was the reflection of my porch light. Dad said he knew I left it on by accident and he just closed the blind to sleep. I went over around 6am and had coffee with him..

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
When our motorhome was new (17 months ago), we stopped at a campground on our travels back home. We have thirteen LED lights around the coach. I can turn them on 'star board side', 'port side', 'rear' or ALL at once. They are bright.

The next morning I was going to set the garbage out and noticed that I had the passenger side LED's on the whole night (5 lights). Wow, didn't even know it. I sure hope that it didn't bother the neighbors.

I'm now more careful at noticing what it 'activated' from the ipad. I like it dark too at night.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, please kill the outside lights at night. I like the dark when camping.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot