cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there anyone that just will not go to private campgrounds

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first year of camping and we find suck a difference in stae and federal campgrounds vs private ones.
Although alot of the state campgrounds dont have hookups to me having the extra room over being right on top of each other is well worth it.Anyone else feel this way
72 REPLIES 72

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I always stay in private campgrounds. I like all the social activities and the potlucks.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Can_t_Wait_Now
Explorer
Explorer
I like the state parks allot more quiet more room like op stated.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been to a couple of state parks and the site size left a lot to be desired! We have only been to a handful of private campgrounds where the sites were small.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
We camp mostly in state/county/city parks mainly because of price. We have found that even though you tend to have more room, even state parks vary greatly in amenities and how they are set up. We have stayed in commercial parks when 1) they are the only choice around and 2) when we are only spending the night and want a pull through spot (rarely offered in state parks.

As said before - it all depends.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Campground" is a misnomer for most private RV parks. Most are really just parking spots with hookups. For us, they are a place for overnighting or acting as a pit stop for doing laundry - in which case they're often called an RV "resort".
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
We always camp private cg's, we do stick with the ones that have nice big sites, no more right on top of each other for me. If your traveling you may have to take what you can get.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We spit it about 50/50. This year for Maine and Cape Cod we did private campgrounds. But we'll also be spending 14 nights in a State campground w/o hookups.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
just remember that all of the campgrounds across the country may not be like the part of the country you have been camping in.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We camp primarily State campgrounds. We have attempted to stay at some private campgrounds over the years and find most are just not much to offer us. We use KOA and Good Sam campgrounds when traveling and need an overnight and move on. We don't do Wall Mart parking at all.

We have 1 private campground we like to visit, only because they open a bit earlier in the season than most every where else, and it lets us do a new season shake-out of the camper with full hook-ups and such. But this is the only one we've found we actually enjoy.

We have stayed at a few for 2 or 3 nights, and each time we say we really miss the State Parks. State Parks just have much more to offer. Like the OP said, usually larger spaces and the setting is almost always more of a nature setting, rather than a concrete jungle with everything packed in so tight one awning touches the next trailer over.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We go to state and federal parks when we can. However, since we full time, it is occasionally best if we hit a private park for a day or two (laundry, dump, water, etc.). Also, occasionally, there are either no public parks where we want to be or they are all booked. This is typically on weekends so we grin and bear it at the private park until we can get into a public one.

There are some great private parks and some really crappy public ones. But, we spend about 80 percent of our time in state and federal parks because we enjoy them more.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We have found we want FHU, TV, and WiFi, so that leaves us private CGs most of the time, but not all. I guess we're "glampers", but it does take the first few times out to determine which type of RVer you are. As gbopp said, it's a matter of what you want and where you're going.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first year of camping and we find suck a difference in stae and federal campgrounds vs private ones.
Although alot of the state campgrounds dont have hookups to me having the extra room over being right on top of each other is well worth it.Anyone else feel this way

You will get so many different answers on this your head will swim even more! :B

1. It's all about 'each' campers preferences.
2. It all depends on HOW and WHY and WHERE you RV.
I.E. weekend warrior, snow bird, full time, want to be around other people or want to be alone, etc.

For "me"...I do not like the State parks because most don't have full hookups. If you want to extend your stay the State parks have a 'limited' amount of days you can stay. And where I was traveling for the winter in the South, mosquitoes would carry you aware at your site.

I prefer CG's. And there are MANY different types of CG's. The sites are not always small.

You just have to look around for the CG or State Park that suites

YOUR

needs. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a matter of what you want and where you are going.

We all want big open sites with few neighbors but, sometimes you have to take what you can get, especially when you're traveling.

I would not say there is any type CG I would NOT consider. It all depends on the circumstances. Sometimes a WalMart parking lot may be your only option...