Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four Corners/Durango

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I'm planning a trip in late March/early April and was wondering if it's a good time to visit? I've called several campsites and some dont even open until May. My main concerns are weather (snow) and pulling a trailer at high elevation. Tentative plans being of leaving S. California>Flagstaff>Durango and back to Monument Valley>Lake Powell> and then back home. I drive an F150 and pull a 27'Jayco Jayfeather. I'm not familiar with that part of the country and would appreciate some constructive feedback. Thank You all in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I've been through all those areas many times. As others have said, the later in spring you go, the more stable the weather should be. July typically has lots of rain/thunderstorms which can show up unpredictably. Flash floods are always possible even with blue sky above. Because a large part of the area is open range, (wildlife on the road) I never travel at night.

Gusting winds (crosswinds especially on bridges and passes) ARE NOT your friend, especially towing a trailer.

That said, those areas are stunningly beautiful when the weather is favorable. IMO, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Chaco Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, Petrified Forest, Lake Powell, etc. are must see's but probably not possible in a single 1 month trip.

IMO, daily (sometimes hourly) weather reports ARE your friend.

Chum lee

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I had a house in Durango for 13 yrs. The weather around Durango, CO/Farmington/Bloomfield, NM will be ok in March/Apr. Durango is 1000ft higher than Farmington and you have to go over a high plateau to get there which is where most of the snow will be. Last March Farmington was mostly in the 50-60 daytime and upper 20-30's at night, zero snow. Durango was close to the same (5-10 Degrees difference) with three days of light snow. There may be colder or even warmer weather in 2021. Just watch the forecast. So if you stay south of the CO line and only drive up to CO for day trips you should be ok. US 491 from Gallup (I-40) up to Shiprock (US64) is not closed although it does go through the Reservation which is closed to visitors. Watch for livestock on the road since there are open range areas.
Turret Class traveler

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Late March early April expect snow, probably the heavy wet stuff... and lots off it. I wouldn't if I were you.
Good luck!

:C

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah,I have to do this trip in the summer time. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the heaviest/wettest snows in Colorado are in April. Weather could be 70 degrees or 25 with snow. May would be a much safer chance of good weather.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have been through through those areas a couple of times. The last time was very recently. Plan on the possibility of encountering snow. I did when traveling that area in early April a few years back.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The Navajo Nation is closed. Reopening by March or April isn’t in the cards. See...

https://navajonationparks.org/
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad