cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need generator?

beeven
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to start the process of purchasing my 1st RV. I'm looking at getting a small 24ft Class C. My top contender is the Navion and I'm wondering if I need a generator put on there at all. I know the answer depends on my usage. This RV is going to serve multiple purposes: act as a homebase while I'm on photography day trips, act as a camper when my family wants to go camping, and act as a family car for road trips. When camping, we'll probably do a mix of dry camping and hotel camping.

I was hoping to get away with running all the RV appliances through the batteries, with the exception of the Microwave. I'm assuming all other accessories could be run using the house batteries alone, am I correct? If so, then the weight savings would come in handy since the Navion seems short on OCCC.

Is there anything I'm not considering by eliminating the genset?

Thanks for the insight!
27 REPLIES 27

beeven
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like my question has the potential to be a heated debate. These are all good insights guys - much appreciate the time you took to reply.

It seems like all I would need the Genset for is the roof AC and possibly the Microwave. The cabin part of the Navion seems small enough to be cooled by the chassis while underway. While stopped, that's a different story. However, I think much of my camping will be done in Autumn so I'm not sure how much use the AC would be. It will certainly be nice to have over summer. I think I'll have to put some serious consideration to how much summer camping I foresee. As some of you have pointed out, its better to already be prepared for the unforeseen than to be stuck without.

*On a side note* As far as Microwave, it looks like this appliance uses about 1000W of power. Would I be able to use a beefed up house battery pack to power that? The Navion comes with two batteries. If I beefed it up to 4 and got an suitable inverter, would this suffice Microwave usage?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Get one. You may be sorry if you don't. If you have it you will use it. We have a 24 foot Jayco Escapde with generator. It is really convenient to have.

I do not think you will be sorry.

We are currently travelling in Utah, Nevada, then AZ, NM. We use it at least once per day and mostly boondock.

Donna
Check out our blog: http://roadsidechronicles.blogspot.com

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without the generator you will likely need to beef up the battery system, add a small inverter (300w?), possibly a small to medium solar charging system. Again depending on use.

The real reason to have a large generator is to run the air conditioner for extended periods. A small Honda 2000 could run the microwave and charge batteries.

I carry no generator. If I need air 24/7 then I am looking for hookups or sweat it out.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It really does depend on your own personal camping style. Over a 13 year period I've run a generator less than ten hours per year.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
get the generator. you'll be glad you did, for all the reasons already stated and more.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our current rig came with a factory installed Onan generator that we thought we didn't need and would rarely utilize. Well as it turns out, we use it more often than we ever would have imagined with 700 plus hours over 6 camping seasons. Having the capability to power our entire rig with a single press of a button makes whatever camping situation we find ourselves in easily manageable, comfortable, and worry free, particularly when dry camping or boondocking. Makes rig more appealing if you ever plan to sell in the future.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
get the gen set ,those batteries will run down quicker than you think, and batt won,t run a ac unit.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do I need a generator: IN most of the USA the answer is yes, at least 3,000 watts, 4,000 or 5,000 might be better. Oh you meant do I need on in the RV.

Well.. Let me put it this way.

When I got my Class A (5,500 watt generator on board) the very first mod was adding a Twist Lock outlet (30 amp) and adding a proper Generator Transfer panel to my house with a matching INLET on the back of the house.. I also built a custom extension cord.

When I came home one Winter and found Frosty (Airblown inflatable snowman) Sleeping on the job.. I went down to the basement (light from windows) got the cord, hooked it to the inlet, Uncoiled it as I walked, Hooked it to the outlet, Got the Gen-Turi out and put it on, Back in the motor home and pressed the buttons in the approved pattern (STOP till the light comes on, wait a couple seconds, then start). and when I heard the CLUNK of the transfer switch I went back to the basement and the transfer panel

CLICK: Lights
CLICK: HEAT
CLICK: COld (Freezer, and another click for the fridge)
CLICK: Microwave beeped
CLICK: TV's worked
CLICK: computer worked.

Now the panel, inlet, cord and install ran right around 1,000 bucks total
The motor home (rounded) about 100 times that

Warm wife: Priceless.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We use our generator at least a few times on every major trip.

One episode when we were in Utah near Arches and pulled over by the river to prepare lunch, it was close to 100 degrees, no breeze, no shade. We used the gen to run the AC for an hour or so, then on our way. Another similar time, used it on a steamy morning while dry camping on the outer banks. Most recently at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta where we were dry camping near the field.

We haven't had any problems getting the propane refilled on our Sprinter. The propane tank's already there and in use anyway for stove, furnace, water heater.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Dry camping without one is certainly possible for short stays but you give up many of the conveniences your rv can provide. On longer stays you would need to charge batteries or give up even more. There is little about a300 hp battery charger that makes sense and that's the case using engine to charge.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things to consider
Rooftop A/C has a heat pump built in so that is 110 volt.If you or spouse is one of those people who cannot survive without A/C then a jenny is needed if you dry camp without hookups. In addition While traveling the rooftop A/C would not be available if you do not have a jenny so depending on how good your dash A/C is it might be a little warm in the unit on very hot days.

The refrigerator may or may not operate on 12 volt but it probably will have a propane gas option. Navion website states 2 way fridge which usually 110 volt or gas. A 12 volt current is required in the gas mode for the units controllers but this is a minimal draw.
If your plan is to stay somewhere for a while without any power hookups (dry camp) then a very small generator or solar charger to keep the batteries full might be worthwhile (not part of M/H). If you are on the move a lot or staying in campgrounds with power then the need for a generator is greatly diminished.

IMO the unit will sell much better if it has a on board generator

None of your stated purposes necessitates the NEED for a jenny now you decide how important the A/C is.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Since it is a class C you can run the engine to charge the battery bank, if that is required. The generator is only needed for running the air conditioner and/or the microwave.

Do get the largest battery that will fit the compartment, or two if they will fit. I'd consider AGM chemistry.

I would consider adding a modest solar system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you would have to order a unit without a generator. In the long run it would most likely cost you more to order a unit with less features than to purchase something on the dealers lot. You would not be able to run your AC off the batteries. If my memory is correct the unit you mentioned is on the Sprinter chassis. If so that unit would have a propane generator. The propane units are less problematic minimal usage but have a bigger hassle refueling.