cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Correct inflation of trailer tires

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Everything I read says tires should be inflated to Max psi. Is there general agreement on that? I plan to do whatever is safest and as of last evening, my tires are at 60 and Max is 80, so I have some filling to do.
26 REPLIES 26

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
sgfrye wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Inflate to max inflation as shown on the sidewall.

x2
no need to overthink it. has worked for me. autos, boat trailer tires, and motorcycles

Fwiw, thatโ€™s actually under thinking it by a good margin.

Some people just like to overthink and complicate everything.:h
Just say no to the payload police :C

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Per Goodyear:

"...it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up."

Reams of information here by a tire engineer supporting sidewall cold inflation pressure as being optimum to reduce interply shear.

http://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Interply%20Shear

With tires on multi-axle trailers, like RV trailers, the belt (interply) shear forces can be 24% higher than the belt shear forces of identical size, load and inflation tires on a motorized vehicle.

The internal structural forces are different for torque than for high "slip angle" which is the situation in trailer application. Front tires on cars, motorhome or tow vehicles experience slip angle usually in the 1ยฐ range while trailer tires are subject to angles in the 10ยฐ and greater range. The forces are NOT linear. 10ยฐ can generate significantly more shear than 1ยฐ.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
I am talking only about tires on a towable.

I know. That was directed towards the OTHER guy, who apparently runs his CAR tires at max inflation . . .

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:

Some of you guys could suck the fun out of an Ice Cream Social!

That's a good one LOL. :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
sgfrye wrote:
drsteve wrote:

x2
no need to overthink it. has worked for me. autos, boat trailer tires, and motorcycles

Fwiw, thatโ€™s actually under thinking it by a good margin.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Inflate your ST's to max to get maximum use.
Who the hell weighs each side? What do you do adjust your inflation because the gallon of milk you drank has changed the formula?
Why do some have to make everything an exercise in engineering? Now if you have 7 anvils over the left side maybe you should look at lateral scaling,other than that, eh maybe not all that important.

OMG we are down to less than half fresh water, pull over and adjust the inflation before we burst into flames and die!

Some of you guys could suck the fun out of an Ice Cream Social!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
sgfrye wrote:
drsteve wrote:

x2

As far as cars, vans, pickups, and motorized RVs go, inflate your tires to maximum and go to a mall before it opens. Use a piece of chalk to put a line across each tire, and drive a couple of hundred yards. Then check your tires. In most cases - depending of course on your vehicle weight - I think you will see that the chalk is worn off in the center, but not at the edges, which indicates that not all of the tire tread is making contact with the road.

It seems self-evident to me that this is NOT optimum for either steering traction or braking in the shortest distance. And I suspect you will also be more prone to hydroplaning in the wet than if your tires were making complete contact with the road.

Both Goodyear and Michelin have downloadable RV tire publications, available here:

Recreational Tire Care Guide

RV Tire Guide

They both warn against overinflating tires because of lessened traction, braking and steering.

BTW, the Michelin Guide also says that an overinflated tire is more prone to impact damage

I am talking only about tires on a towable. Max sidewall inflation has been working for me for 30 years. No tire problems on my TT, ever.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
drsteve wrote:

x2

As far as cars, vans, pickups, and motorized RVs go, inflate your tires to maximum and go to a mall before it opens. Use a piece of chalk to put a line across each tire, and drive a couple of hundred yards. Then check your tires. In most cases - depending of course on your vehicle weight - I think you will see that the chalk is worn off in the center, but not at the edges, which indicates that not all of the tire tread is making contact with the road.

It seems self-evident to me that this is NOT optimum for either steering traction or braking in the shortest distance. And I suspect you will also be more prone to hydroplaning in the wet than if your tires were making complete contact with the road.

Both Goodyear and Michelin have downloadable RV tire publications, available here:

Recreational Tire Care Guide

RV Tire Guide

They both warn against overinflating tires because of lessened traction, braking and steering.

BTW, the Michelin Guide also says that an overinflated tire is more prone to impact damage

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rvshrinker wrote:
Everything I read says tires should be inflated to Max psi. Is there general agreement on that? I plan to do whatever is safest and as of last evening, my tires are at 60 and Max is 80, so I have some filling to do.

Strange. this is the first time I have read that.. I've always read tire inflation should be adjusted by scaling the wheels (each wheel (not tire but wheel) and adjust per weight on the wheel.

THe tire does not say "Maximum Pressure XX PSI"

It says "Maximum load yyyy pounds at maximum pressure of xx PSI"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

x2

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that - if you have a dual axle trailer - and you have a blowout on one tire, the ENTIRE weight previously being carried by two tires are suddenly going to put on the single remaining tire. A good argument for seeing to it that each tire can handle the maximum amount of weight they are capable of.

RV_Tire_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
On my trailer I keep my ST tires at the max. When Iโ€™m fully loaded Iโ€™m covered and if Iโ€™m less than full load the only downside is possible irregular wear. Iโ€™d rather have enough air pressure to cover the possibility of being heavy.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I too have been rolling for 30 + years. Always run max pressure in the trailer tires. I currently run 110 in the OR but those tires are G rated. Served me well.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought. Under inflated trailer tires can add to sway because with the reduced pressure. The sidewalls flex more allowing the trailer to rock more side to side. This side to side movement while the tire is spinning continually stretches and relaxes the sidewalls which is what causes the sidewalls to heat up.

When not moving side to side this same action occurs under the weight of the trailer because the tire is also flatter where it contacts the road and rounder where it doesn't adding to heating as well. Being flatter where contacting the road occurs whether under inflated or not, but is much worse when under inflated.

When filled to the max psi the sidewalls stay stiffer and don't allow the continuous cycle of stretching and relaxing to occur as badly. It also reduces the amount of rocking from side to side that can occur caused by the sidewalls flexing.

The downside is the trailer can have a bumpy ride when going down the road. But you don't ride inside the trailer anyway and why you should secure items inside the trailer.

The comments above are addressing ST trailer tires only and why they should be inflated to their max psi. The compounds are different than those used in car tires and light truck tires because the nature of the needs for trailer usage. Trailer tires also sit for a long time in between trips.

Car and light truck tires however are designed for day-to-day usage and to flex more than trailer tires creating a smoother ride. So for the most part the heating is not as big a deal as with ST trailer tires. However the side to side movement can still be a problem adding to sway when they are used on a trailer.