cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

College Student & Full Time"RV" Living

Grim_Knight
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a full time college student as the thread title says, but I'm looking to purchase and convert a Ford Econoline style cargo van into a mini-RV. I live in Pierce county Washington but I'm going to be going to school in Olympia. I'm not interested in commuting on a daily basis so I've been planning on how to live in Olympia during the week and then return back home for the weekend.

My thoughts are this...

#1 purchase a used but decent condition Ford Econoline cargo van

#2 install insulation in the walls and on the ceiling, cover the insulation with plywood and then cover the plywood with inexpensive carpet tiles for aesthetics. Insulation LINK Carpeting LINK

#3 for the floor of the van, I'm looking into something simple such as thick rubber tiles similar to what one would put inside a home gym. This would not only provide insulation, it would provide a comfortable and easily installed (and removed) floor to the van.

#4 for a bed, I purchased a futon style metal frame loveseat where the arms fold down to make a twin size bed. Add to that a nice sleeping bag, blankets and even some memory foam mats and I have a nice comfortable place to sit and sleep.

#5 for storage, I have some welded metal modular shelves that I can put in the van up against one of the walls which would be attached to with some sort of straps to keep them stationary for obvious reasons. I would also purchase some small bungee cords that can be attached to each shelf to hold down items stored on them such as clothing and misc. "camping" items.

#6 for cooking, I was thinking something simple like a propane camping stove with a 5 gallon bulk tank attached via a 6 foot hose or longer. This would also allow for a propane heater if needed.

#7 I found an inexpensive 12v DC powered cooler that is big enough to hold about 6 2liter bottles. this should be more then enough room to store any perishables such as milk or sandwich meat for use throughout the week. LINK

#8 for lighting, I found some swiveling LED lights bars that can be mounted to the walls LINK

#9 Electrical power is my biggest problem at this point... I found an inexpensive 3500watt gas generator LINK, and I was thinking of adding some deep cycle AGM batteries LINK. My skills with regards to putting these items to practical use are a bit lacking but I understand the basic concepts. I know I am going to need a battery charger and an inverter. Since my power requirements are not super high, I think I found a charger/inverter combo unit that would suit my needs. LINK

I just don't know all the ins and outs of hooking up the various items needed to provide the needed power for my day to day needs. I just need enough power to handle my laptop for school, the lights I want to install, the cooler and my CPAP machine for when I sleep.

As for some other things I may need, I was thinking of throwing in a simple camping porta-potty and a couple 5 gallon containers for storing fresh water. Other then that, there really shouldn't be much else I would "need". The idea is to turn the van into a place where I can sleep without having to make the commute on a daily basis to and from school. I can get meals at the grocery store, dine out, or even eat at the college. As for personal hygiene, I have a membership at the YMCA so I can get showers and stuff there. I can wash clothes on the weekends when I head home and I can be a bit wasteful and use disposable plates and stuff for when I choose to eat in the van.

I know this is a bit long winded, but I was looking for experienced views regarding such matters so as to make the process go smoother once I acquire the van. I know the first thing I will be purchasing after getting the van will be the generator so that I can have immediate power for such things as power tools needed to do the work of installing the various items I am looking to install. I might even camp out in the parking lot of Lowes or Home Depot during the day while I do all the work so that if I need supplies, I can simply walk in, buy what I need and then walk right out to the van.

Thanks for your time and I welcome all suggestions.

P.S. Merry Christmas!
139 REPLIES 139

grobvikos
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to consider a small used Class C. Will keep you from having to buy all the extra stuff and doing the work. Plus you will have a shower and toilet there.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
boo I read this whole boondoggle before realizing it was old. hope that guy isn't dead somewhere. also hope he learned how to grow up.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm... sometimes these spam posts can bring back interesting threads! lol

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
ghooos wrote:
Hey. Didn`t get the chance to the fact that a single reporting form in all subjects is an essay. In Oxford, even in maths, you need to write an essay in the form of a scientific article, where you make an introduction, include in the text formulas and graphs, their description, explanation of the result and conclusion. About 30 essays have been written in the last 2 years. Of course, we have unique students on the course who do not write anything themselves, but order essays on sites like this https://bestessay4you.com/.

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!:h

A 6 years old thread brought back to life.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
ghooos wrote:
Hey. Didn`t get the chance to the fact that a single reporting form in all subjects is an essay. In Oxford, even in maths, you need to write an essay in the form of a scientific article, where you make an introduction, include in the text formulas and graphs, their description, explanation of the result and conclusion. About 30 essays have been written in the last 2 years. Of course, we have unique students on the course who do not write anything themselves, but order essays on sites like this https://bestessay4you.com/.
Well Ok, I don't know what the hell you just said but your about 7 years late.

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Rather than trying to sneak around stealth camping why not locate a home owner or business owner that would allow you to park on their property and provide 120VAC for the price of generator fuel. This would solve some of your concerns. Explain your situation and intentions and I'm sure you could find someone to help you out.

I wouldn't mind you parking next to my garage on week days for $100/mo as long as you kept to yourself and didn't become a nuisance.

Or just rent a room for a couple hundred dollars a month. Even if it's in a mobile home, it might be better living conditions than what he's proposing and he won't be peeking out the windows every time he hears a noise.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Steve S wrote:
I'm still wondering what you'll do if you wake up in the middle of the night and you find yourself being towed down the road because of parking violations?
Will they charge you more at the impound yard as you live in your van? I wonder if they would let you plug in? Something to ponder!

Good one....before he says that won't happen, he should definitely search the forum here....plenty of stories...I think I remember one in the past few months.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

Steve_S1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still wondering what you'll do if you wake up in the middle of the night and you find yourself being towed down the road because of parking violations?
Will they charge you more at the impound yard as you live in your van? I wonder if they would let you plug in? Something to ponder!
2010 Cougar 25RL

Explorer II
Explorer II
Rather than trying to sneak around stealth camping why not locate a home owner or business owner that would allow you to park on their property and provide 120VAC for the price of generator fuel. This would solve some of your concerns. Explain your situation and intentions and I'm sure you could find someone to help you out.

I wouldn't mind you parking next to my garage on week days for $100/mo as long as you kept to yourself and didn't become a nuisance.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Grim_Knight wrote:
How many times has somebody commented on the use of a generator in a confined space?

I've must of missed where someone said you were going to use a generator in a confined space. I know that I, for one, mentioned you running it outside. I even went as far to say as to how heavy they are and they you would be doing this daily.
I'm actually surprised nobody has said anything about propane detectors (and trust me, I have thought about that too since I am planning on using propane as a fuel source for cooking and maybe heating.

A propane leak detector would be good as well since you are planning on having propane tanks inside your sleeping quarters. I would advise not to light a match in that truck though. Propane tanks do leak. Propane leak detectors often malfunction. And if you are thinking of using a propane heater like a Mr Buddy, then you will want to vent the box of the truck as well. But it's been generally advised against running those at night while you sleep.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Grim_Knight wrote:
wbwood wrote:
You stated many physical (and mental) ailments you had. You stated you could not physically do your job you had before. But yet you can become a construction worker and ride a motorcycle without any issues.

AS far as gasoline, he is referring to the smell of gasoline and carbon monoxide that will build up in your box truck when you are driving it and none the less from the generator you are planning on using. What ventilation does this truck provide? Do you know how quickly fumes will seep inside the box truck, especially via the door?

There's something to add to your list, make sure it has a carbon monoxide detector.

Yeah... I suffer from arthritis... and I have a hard time breathing when I sleep... That in no way says that I'm a physical weakling...

I physically cannot sit at the wheel of a truck and trailer for 8-10 hours a day.

And I'm no dummy... Why would carbon monoxide or any other fumes build up inside the truck from the generator? Do you really think I would run one of those inside the truck? If so, then you take me for not only a fool, but you are questioning my intelligence.

As calewjohnson mentioned, exhaust from a generator can seep inside your truck or RV if there is any way for it to make entry. A simple wind shift will do you in. There are hundreds of news articles out there where people passed away in their motorhomes and trailers due to improper venting and other reasons. You don't have to run it from inside the truck. You can run it from outside the truck (which by the way will not be stealthlike) and the fumes will find their way in. We are just trying to keep you from being a statistic. Go ahead, google "rv generator death".

As for Mr. Fed, The problem with people that think the way you do is that you assume people are doing something wrong when in fact they aren't. Learn to use facts not assumptions. The fact that a truck is parked at a truck stop or in the parking lot of a college does not equal wrong doing. But what am I saying? I obviously don't know anything at all about anything as may people here have stated. so how bout this idea. If you have nothing what so ever constructive to say then ignore this thread and move on.

I'm just speaking from over 25 years of law enforcement experience. I'm also speaking from the intel I received on a frequent basis that is not put out in the news. Nevermind me. It 's not necessarily Law Enforcement or "Mr Fed" you have to initially worry about. It's the concerned citizens of this conutry you need to worry about.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
You folks do understand that this guy has engendered 126 posts and a few thousand looks yanking your chains, right? Right??
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I'll restate... My goal is to design and build a vehicle that by itself can be used to transport "cargo" but with the simple swapping of items inside, can be used to live in.
So if this is the case, your on the wrong forum. This forum has to do with RVing, and the only RV you haul cargo in is called a toy hauler, which you obviously are not interested in. You will also note that there is not a forum on RV.net titled "Box Van Conversions". Besides on page ten you stated that you were out of here. Since you already have an answer for every piece of advice given in 13 pages, perhaps you should find some forum where you can get the answers you want to hear.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS