cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Disconnect Switch

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
Noob question here... on my Montana there is what appears to be a battery disconnect switch in the front bay where I have 4 6v batteries connected to provide 12v. Next to the batteries is a red ON/OFF battery switch which says not to it to the off position if the truck engine is running. Ok, I get that but...

What exactly does this switch do?
When would I have it either on or off?
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.
4 REPLIES 4

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
If your battery array is constantly being charged to 100% via solar everyday, should be no need to enable the battery disconnect. I would still verify, at least once, the batteries are being charged for confidence moving forward.
I love me some land yachting

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
Ah... I see said the blind man. My Montana is never off of shore power and has solar panels as well. I don't ever disconnect/remove the batteries or turn the switch off.

Mistake or not?
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
And long term storage would mean anything longer than a week. By the 2nd week your batteries will be on the low side from parasitic draws in the trailer.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It probably is a battery disconnect switch for the whole trailer; no 12V power if it's turned off.

It would seem that the emergency breakaway brakes may be wired through this switch based on the warning label. If it's easy to modify that connection, it would be a good idea to do so in case you happen to be forgetful before towing.

Generally you'd have it on if you're towing or camping, and off for long-term storage where there's no shore power available, assuming it is a master disconnect switch