Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Disconnect Switch Questions

bsmith95610
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I just bought my first travel trailer a couple of weeks ago and itโ€™s the first camper Iโ€™ve ever owned. I have a few questions on the battery disconnect switch.

1. If I am plugged into hookups at a campground should I have the battery switch turned on or off?

2. If I am towing my trailer should I have the battery switch turned on or off?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
I have a little different take on the device. I removed the disconnect switch from my rig and wired directly from the battery to the distribution bus. That eliminates two cable connections and the switch contact resistance. It might not sound like much but that takes a little resistance out of the circuit and makes for just a tiny bit more voltage being available. Yes I'm nitpicking but a few hundredths to a tenth of a volt can be significant when load is high or batteries become a little older. Just use a small wrench to disconnect the negative cable from the battery when you need. There will be no chance of various sensors causing a slow drain on the battery when disconnected. Just my opinion.
Russ

bsmith95610
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger - Would you recommend doing that or is it better to hook it up to a battery tender like the below model?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0165-DL-WH-12-Volt-Management/dp/B000NCOKV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464890823&sr=8-1&keywords=Battery+Tender+2+bank

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
the best thing you can do for your battery when your trailer is in storage is take it Inside during the storage period and charge it once a month.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You should always have it on when towing. In case of an emergency break-away event, the trailer's brakes are activated by the battery.

As a precaution, you could wire the emergency brake switch around the disconnect. It won't use any power when not in use and will always be ready if you forget to turn the disconnect "On".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bsmith95610
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies everyone.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
OFF is for storage. ON would be in-use, towing, loading, plugged in or not.

Lovedays
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not an expert but I have it on when towing and when hooked up at a campground to charge the battery. The only time I turn it off is when I'm not using it, in other words, when it's stored.
2009 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29BHS
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab