cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And what else could break on this trip...

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
Our second major trip in our 99 Winnebago Adventurer started out great, but as we traveled south strange things started happening...

The key to the fresh water tank broke. :E
The windshield wipers started acting up. :h ( see separate posting on this )
Upon unloading my mobility scooter, it broke. 😞
While getting a glass of water, the kitchen faucet exploded in DW's hand. :E ( That was not fun )

While I'm grateful that the repairs by both the mechanics were very reasonable, (Kudos to Gary at Victory 24/7 Roadside Repairs.)
I think I'm starting to get a little paranoid to the point that I'm seriously thinking of putting a couple of "gremlin bells" under the hood of our coach.
If you've never heard of a "gremlin bell" some bikers believe in hanging these little bells near the bottom of the frame of their motorcycle. The ringing of the bells is said to drive the road demons away.... :W
15 REPLIES 15

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
If you ask.....it will!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just trying to share the joy of owning an older coach, and take these things with a grain of salt. & after 30 years in EMS & 35 years of being a nurse I do indeed know better to ask "What else...." & "Gee isn't it nice to have a quiet shift once & awhile???"
Because that's when the fertilizer meets the oscillating air mover. :B

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
OP should get an award for using the word "break" correctly!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been on hundreds of trips in various RVs we've owned. Most of the time, we had no problems and all went smoothly. Other times have been the exact opposite (blown tires, getting stuck up to the axles in mud, getting caught in a snowstorm with no snow chains, etc.). Guess which ones we remember and laugh about the most, years later?

Remember, you're driving a house down the road, putting it through what is essentially a continuous earthquake. Things are going to break. As long as nobody gets hurt, any problem can be solved. It's all part of the adventure.

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your sense of adventure. In the last two weeks a failed air dryer valve stopped me for three days, my toilet blew a fuse, my new Jeep's been in the shop for four days getting a new electric motor for the transfer case shift, and the rental car now has a flat tire. Whatever. It's all temporary stuff.

There are many reasons why we seasoned travelers are marvelously adaptable people. =} Wishing you brighter days!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
FIrst: NEVER EVER ask "what else......" You just might find out :).

Second: The kitchen faucet.. Many RVers do NOT use pressure regulator

I have been in one campground where pressure is well over 100 PSI. Even their pipes may explode on occasion (Been there, put it back together for 'em)

Watts, or Zurin or Valterra adjustable regulators.. Avoid the little cylinder shaped ones they sell in RV stores .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just remember, If it's man made, it can & usually WILL break, it's just a matter of When. 😞
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV stands for Repair Vehicle. Well, sometimes it does. There is always something that needs attention. Most of the time it is minor stuff that most owners are capable of dealing with.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
x2
Yup I believe they come in three's. After 2 mishaps I am always waiting for the next shoe to fall! And it usually does.

I like it. It gets all the repairs out of the way and then you can sit back and relax for the next couple of hundred miles. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I hope everyone's "Issues" get fixed cheaply and quickly. and are OVER..

taking my 10 year old trailer on a 3 month trip ... in 19 days.
and Yes, I have been over it 3 or 4 times.. maybe 5.. 🙂

oh, I purchased the truck and trailer 3 months ago...

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry for all your troubles. I pray you may finish your trip with fun,safey, and a minimum of troubles which this old world can plague us with.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me know if those Bells work, I may need to get a set of those, on our 3 month trip west this year, the rear view camera died, (drives me nuts, not being able to see what the toad is doing), built in DVD player quit working, LP detector went off intermittently on a couple occasions, no LP leak found, turned furnace on one cold morning, it refused to ignite after several tries, tried it again the next day, it lit & worked normally, at the end of the trip it got to be, WHAT'S NEXT. OH yah, it's now at the shop for roof work. :S 😞
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
as "the bear II" said cycles...

and for cycles.. I have a bell on my motorcycle.. do not believe in gremlins.

I use it as a reminder of all of my fallen Rider Friends.

if a trailer had 1 part.. no repairs needed.. add 6,000 parts.. each one has a date it will fail... it just a matter of time.

as your unit is 16 years old... ???